Cyclists killed riding LeJog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
The utility cyclist

Re: Cyclists killed riding LeJog

Post by The utility cyclist »

ossie wrote:
mjr wrote:
"Fear from the rear" is overblown. Most motorist-cyclist collisions are T-bones, left hooks, right crosses, sideswipes and doorings, plus about three-quarters are around junctions.

Do we have a link to prove this ?

Are the Home Office now sharing this Information. Unless it's an Injury / fatal accident recorded by the Police none of us know the exact circumstances and the majority of cycling accidents never see a police computer.

To be honest I agree with the summation that the fear from behind is far far greater than what the reality is, just as the danger to people on bikes is overall. Considering the 4 billion plus miles covered that are registered by the DfT that people on bikes cover currently, the number of deaths and serious injuries are not at pandemic levels. We, well I say we, the government and by association the police, could get the current figures down significantly in a very short space of time, likewise for pedestrians and in motors themselves, but they are either not interested or are ignorant of the simple solutions, IMO it's both but more loaded to the 'we know but we aren't going to do jack'

If one keeps worrying about whether you are going to get killed or injured whilkst cycling then it can't be much fun, I'd never ever get or suggest someone getting a mirror unless they had neck problems, constantly checking for something really is not a good idea and moving in to the kerb on the presumption x vehicle is going to pass close, to me is a poor 'solution', you could easily end up moving from a safer position because you think you're going to get struck when in fact you're opening up the gap even more thus inviting them in.
Don't use a mirror, hold your line whether that be secondary or primary and from what we know this is far safer than what people imagine, much more!
mjr

Re: Cyclists killed riding LeJog

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:I'd never ever get or suggest someone getting a mirror unless they had neck problems, constantly checking for something really is not a good idea and moving in to the kerb on the presumption x vehicle is going to pass close, to me is a poor 'solution', you could easily end up moving from a safer position because you think you're going to get struck when in fact you're opening up the gap even more thus inviting them in.
Don't use a mirror, hold your line whether that be secondary or primary and from what we know this is far safer than what people imagine, much more!

I look around a lot but I don't use a mirror so I probably don't check back constantly. I agree strongly about not moving in to the kerb because you think someone is going to pass close - I'd say move in if they do start to pass close, to re-establish a side safety gap, but you can't do that as easily if you've already preemptively moved to the kerb. As you say, holding your line nearer a driver's line of vision instead of the kerb is far safer than what people imagine.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.