Cyclist In Collision Low Sunlight A Factor.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
DaveReading

Re: Cyclist In Collision Low Sunlight A Factor.

Post by DaveReading »

pete75 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:58am
cycle tramp wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 5:53pm
....nazis war planes used the sun for for the same effect...

Actually it was the pilots who did that. All competent fighter pilots did it, regardless of their political party membership.
Yes, I'm sure the Germans had an equivalent to "beware the Hun in the sun"...
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

fastpedaller wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 8:08pm
ANTONISH wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 6:30pm
fastpedaller wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 4:30pm If the sun is low it's worth either keeping the visor down for the complete journey, or being aware of where the sun is and putting the visor down before turning the corner.
I do that - unfortunately my stature doesn't place me high enough, hence my long peaked cap which I don whenever the sun is low.
There is no good reason why a driver should be dazzled.
But try getting a jury to believe that :(
Yes - point taken - IMO the jury is usually well aware that a driver should not continue to drive while unable to see - however if they are representative of the British population more than a couple of them at one time or another have done exactly that and got away with it..
There is a definite bias in favour of the errant motorist.
awavey

Post by awavey »

fastpedaller wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 6:57pm
pwa wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 8:27am
Low sunlight can be made worse by crud on the inside of the windscreen. Anyone got any really effective way of cleaning the inside? I've spent ages trying to get ours clean in the past and not been 100% satisfied with the results.
A proprietary window cleaner solution may be the answer, or water with a dash of methylated spirits mixer in ...... and keep using a clean bit of the cloth otherwise it's easy to 'move the grease around'. I suspect some diesel fumes or similar come in through the vents. When I clean the windscreen on my wife's car I tend to use about 4 sheets of kitchen roll.
plain old vinegar on a clean cloth, its what they put in your propietary Windolene/Autoglym solutions and stuff, just with extra perfume smell to mask the vinegar.
awavey

Post by awavey »

fastpedaller wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 4:30pm If the sun is low it's worth either keeping the visor down for the complete journey, or being aware of where the sun is and putting the visor down before turning the corner.
I do that - unfortunately my stature doesn't place me high enough, hence my long peaked cap which I don whenever the sun is low.
I dont know if this is still a thing or not in modern cars, as I cant remember the last time I tried it, but sun visors in cars didnt use to be just flip up or down, you used to be able to unclip one side and then you could turn it through at least 45 degrees to give you the extra blocking positions to give you far more scope of coverage to block the sun out.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

awavey wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 1:32am
I dont know if this is still a thing or not in modern cars, as I cant remember the last time I tried it, but sun visors in cars didnt use to be just flip up or down, you used to be able to unclip one side and then you could turn it through at least 45 degrees to give you the extra blocking positions to give you far more scope of coverage to block the sun out.
My visor does turn to block light from the side but as it's above my line of sight I need the peaked cap.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

awavey wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 1:32am
I would imagine they all do, problem lies in that it is a manual operation. If there is not an electronic button, or an app accessed from an on screen menu then who will use it, or even know the possibility exists.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

cycle tramp wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 5:53pmwar planes used the sun for for the same effect...
And the reason they did it is because a sun visor can't solve the problem:
Low Sun.png
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

bigjim wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 3:45pm The low sunlight puts me off riding at this time of year. I like a good English grey cloudy day for winter rides. I have to admit being dazzled myself at times on the bike, especially where there are low hanging trees and the road goes from extremely dark to super bright in seconds. Still no excuse for drivers who should slow right down and stop if they cannot see.
Set off from Dalbeattie today going east,fairly cloudy,returning west into a low sun,not nice,very quiet roads fortunately.