This Facebook page needs to be taken down...

The utility cyclist

Re: This Facebook page needs to be taken down...

Postby The utility cyclist » 5 Dec 2018, 4:59pm

brynpoeth wrote:'Talk to someone' :?

That could help mind, if one rarely talks to people and spends too much time on farcebook

How much time is that exactly, is it more or less than time spent on cycling social media?

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Dec 2018, 5:02pm

The utility cyclist wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:'Talk to someone' :?

That could help mind, if one rarely talks to people and spends too much time on farcebook

How much time is that exactly, is it more or less than time spent on cycling social media?

Could be that some of us spend too much time on cycleface
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Dec 2018, 9:52pm

Prima facie reason for boycotting FB - as if there weren't one already...
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 7 Dec 2018, 10:57pm

...it doesn't go against any of our specific community standards.
Obviously the standards of Facebook are extremely low. If Facebook can't deal with this themselves then maybe political powers need to make them.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 8 Dec 2018, 3:43pm

I use FB all the time.You have to take it for what it is.There are idiots on all Social Media platforms just leave them to it.There's absolutely no point in wasting time trying to get pages banned :roll: There are far worse pages/groups than "Yellow W*****" on Social Media,many of them closed or secret and some of them extremely concerning.
People moan about FB etc gathering your data.I have no problem with this.When you see some of the groups on there I think it's not a bad thing they do.At least some of these nutters can be monitored.

geomannie

Postby geomannie » 8 Dec 2018, 7:22pm

100%JR wrote:People moan about FB etc gathering your data.I have no problem with this.When you see some of the groups on there I think it's not a bad thing they do.At least some of these nutters can be monitored.

You haven't really considered this have you? Facebook tracks you across the internet, it builds up a profile of your likes and dislikes, it matches you to your friends, family and acquaintances, and sells this information to third parties so that you and your contacts can be subjected to targeted advertising and targeted news feed. Welcome to your own personal bubble. Not only can this bubbling be misused, it is actively being misused.
geomannie

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 8 Dec 2018, 10:36pm

geomannie wrote:
100%JR wrote:People moan about FB etc gathering your data.I have no problem with this.When you see some of the groups on there I think it's not a bad thing they do.At least some of these nutters can be monitored.

You haven't really considered this have you? Facebook tracks you across the internet, it builds up a profile of your likes and dislikes, it matches you to your friends, family and acquaintances, and sells this information to third parties so that you and your contacts can be subjected to targeted advertising and targeted news feed. Welcome to your own personal bubble. Not only can this bubbling be misused, it is actively being misused.

Yes and all text messages and emails are also tracked and stored.
Welcome to the new World :wink:

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 12 Dec 2018, 4:39pm

100%JR wrote:
geomannie wrote:

Except Facebook does more than track and store. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 12 Dec 2018, 7:49pm

MikeF wrote:
100%JR wrote:
geomannie wrote:

Except Facebook does more than track and store. :wink:

And you know this how?
Do you have proof other than what you’ve read....on the internet or in some comic?
You are being watched/monitored 24/7.Facebook is the least of anyone’s worries :roll:

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 12 Dec 2018, 10:01pm

geomannie wrote:

JR is immune to these suggestive prompts despite them being tailored specifically to press the various buttons those data analyst rascals have found. He never buys anything he doesn't really really need. Also, he does everything correctly so no one can deny him a service just because he opined something off-kilter last Tuesday!

"I. manipulated by a psycho-advertiser data-chopper, with my reputation!?"

Cugel

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 12 Dec 2018, 10:21pm

Did you hear about the UK woman who's written letters to FB, twitter, experian and another similar company about the way they sent advertising to her.

Apparently these companies were clever enough to find out she was pregnant but not clever enough to find out she had a stillborn baby. As a result she got targeted advertising about baby related products and services. How distressing do you think that would be?

She's campaigning on the matter. Even got an admission from one company that they could have done better. Seems it's quite common that these advertising companies have done similar to other people in a similar distressing way.

IMHO it is time to pass laws to make these companies responsible for the contact on their platforms. As in make them the responsible publisher fir everything from content to advertising. If anyone publishes a legally actionable comment the platform also faces action too.

These are huge advertising and marketing companies but they do not face the same regulations traditional advertising organisations face. They don't face the same regulations as publishing companies such as papers. They need more control IMHO.