Brompton Paint Jobs & other details

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Brompton Paint Jobs & other details

Postby mercalia » 8 Dec 2018, 2:00pm

so I am atlast near to getting a Brompton for bus-cycling carefree mini touring. ANy ideas here what the best colour is - are some paint jobs more durable than others?
Last edited by mercalia on 8 Dec 2018, 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

PT1029

Re: Brompton Paint Jobs

Postby PT1029 » 8 Dec 2018, 2:12pm

I don't know if any are more chip/scratch resistant than others. The colours do range from bright and nice to dull and unobtrusive - some of these will be more durable theft wise should you leave it anywhere (though I guess tehre are no real reasons why should actually leave a Brompton anywhere).

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 8 Dec 2018, 4:14pm

AIUI the standard colours are all powdercoats, and should be much of a muchness; black is perhaps going to be easiest to touch up. The clear lacquer has had a variable reputation in the past - Brompton stopped doing it for a couple of years because of problems with rust appearing underneath it. Brompton's new factory should generally have helped paint quality, as frames now go directly to painting, rather than being shipped cross-country (used to be somewhere in Wales IIRC?).
I don't know how the various special edition paints are done (metallic lacquer; 9 Streets fade finish; etc.) - they'll certainly be trickier to touch up. In general Bromptons benefit from strategically-applied helicopter tape to protect the finish - the cables have a tendency to rub, and the fold can also take paint off over time.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Dec 2018, 4:56pm

on another matter. I had a run through of their bike builder, but there seems to be no way to chose what type of suspension blob you want - a soft or a hard one? Dont the latest models use that now?

steelframe

Re: Brompton Paint Jobs & other details

Postby steelframe » 8 Dec 2018, 5:06pm

mercalia wrote:so I am atlast near to getting a Brompton for bus-cycling carefree mini touring. ANy ideas here what the best colour is - are some paint jobs more durable than others?

The x-light nickel edition is the most durable (and the most expensive). Should be pretty much bullet proof.

steelframe

Postby steelframe » 8 Dec 2018, 5:07pm

mercalia wrote:on another matter. I had a run through of their bike builder, but there seems to be no way to chose what type of suspension blob you want - a soft or a hard one? Dont the latest models use that now?

Starting from 2018 there's just one single suspension element, so no more choice.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Dec 2018, 5:09pm

steelframe wrote:
mercalia wrote:on another matter. I had a run through of their bike builder, but there seems to be no way to chose what type of suspension blob you want - a soft or a hard one? Dont the latest models use that now?

Starting from 2018 there's just one single suspension element, so no more choice.

so I see - just got an email from them

"There is now only 1 suspension block option as opposed to the two supplied on older models. The design has been recently refined using new materials and a new compression profile which makes it more suitable for a much wider range of riders and so there is no longer the need to offer two different types of block."

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 9 Dec 2018, 2:11pm

Look carefully at the colours, they are a lot duller than at first sight. I went for the red, thinking it would be pillar box, but it looks a bit washed out on the bike.

The green is definitely a few shades down on British Racing.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 9 Dec 2018, 2:41pm

simonhill wrote:Look carefully at the colours, they are a lot duller than at first sight. I went for the red, thinking it would be pillar box, but it looks a bit washed out on the bike.

I was thibking of getting the lagoon blue or what ever it is called.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 9 Dec 2018, 5:54pm

simonhill wrote:

Manufacturers have many ideas on 'standard colours' - I've seen at least 3 different shades of British Racing Green. :(