56 Springs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 44808
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

56 Springs

Postby Mick F » 9 Jan 2019, 6:42pm

I stripped down a broken and damaged garden trampoline the other day, and disposed of it all at the local recycling centre.
I kept all the springs.

They are 6ins long and 1ins diameter, hooked at either end.
They are in an old shoe box ............... and the cat seems to like the box! :lol:
IMG_0041.jpg

What should I do with these springs?

Maybe construct a swing and connect 28 of them either side to bounce and swing?

What would you do with 56 springs?
Mick F. Cornwall

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2421
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: 56 Springs

Postby PDQ Mobile » 9 Jan 2019, 6:48pm

Posted on here before but....
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Spring is just around the corner.

Actually I thought you were now off to cycle to all the OS marked natural (water) springs in Cornwall!!

rjb
Posts: 3164
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: 56 Springs

Postby rjb » 9 Jan 2019, 6:52pm

Make a hammock and relive your previous life on the ocean. :lol:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, 2 Dawes Kingpins, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, On One Pompino, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

brynpoeth
Posts: 9514
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: 56 Springs

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Jan 2019, 7:17pm

Make a gigantic sculpture to be erected by a cycleway and restart the argument: what is art?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2421
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: 56 Springs

Postby PDQ Mobile » 9 Jan 2019, 7:22pm

brynpoeth wrote:Make a gigantic sculpture to be erected by a cycleway and restart the argument: what is art?

An idea that many would recoil from?

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 44808
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: 56 Springs

Postby Mick F » 9 Jan 2019, 8:24pm

:lol: :lol:

If I connected all 56 in series, how much recoil would there be?
Could I construct a catapult to fire rocks over to England across the valley?
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth
Posts: 9514
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: 56 Springs

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Jan 2019, 8:43pm

Spiral springs may seem simple but they are fascinating, have a read about the spring industry in Redditch
Got a delivery of springs at work once, very small ones on a pallet: one million tiny springs!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5876
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: 56 Springs

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 Jan 2019, 8:46pm

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

If I connected all 56 in series, how much recoil would there be?
Could I construct a catapult to fire rocks over to England across the valley?

Crexit?

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9029
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: 56 Springs

Postby Cunobelin » 9 Jan 2019, 8:54pm

'tis a downward spiral......

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5876
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: 56 Springs

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 Jan 2019, 9:09pm

brynpoeth wrote:Spiral springs may seem simple but they are fascinating, have a read about the spring industry in Redditch
Got a delivery of springs at work once, very small ones on a pallet: one million tiny springs!

Closely allied to another industry/trade which was based in Redditch. For 5 bonus points what was that industry?

brynpoeth
Posts: 9514
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: 56 Springs

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Jan 2019, 9:18pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Spiral springs may seem simple but they are fascinating, have a read about the spring industry in Redditch
Got a delivery of springs at work once, very small ones on a pallet: one million tiny springs!

Closely allied to another industry/trade which was based in Redditch. For 5 bonus points what was that industry?

Something to do with cycling, half odds?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5876
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: 56 Springs

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 Jan 2019, 9:40pm

brynpoeth wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Spiral springs may seem simple but they are fascinating, have a read about the spring industry in Redditch
Got a delivery of springs at work once, very small ones on a pallet: one million tiny springs!

Closely allied to another industry/trade which was based in Redditch. For 5 bonus points what was that industry?

Something to do with cycling, half odds?

Computer says no :?

It may be connected to something close to my heart.

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5092
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: 56 Springs

Postby cycleruk » 9 Jan 2019, 9:57pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Closely allied to another industry/trade which was based in Redditch. For 5 bonus points what was that industry?

Something to do with cycling, half odds?

Computer says no :?

It may be connected to something close to my heart.


Stints ?
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81gfs4sd76E

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5876
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: 56 Springs

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 Jan 2019, 10:16pm

Ha, very good, but no, not stents.

Think hobbies and pastimes.

Fine wire windings...
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 9 Jan 2019, 10:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjb
Posts: 3164
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: 56 Springs

Postby rjb » 9 Jan 2019, 10:19pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Spiral springs may seem simple but they are fascinating, have a read about the spring industry in Redditch
Got a delivery of springs at work once, very small ones on a pallet: one million tiny springs!

Closely allied to another industry/trade which was based in Redditch. For 5 bonus points what was that industry?


Guest Keen and Nettlefolds they had fingers in all sorts of pies. :lol:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, 2 Dawes Kingpins, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, On One Pompino, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D