Velodyssee Roscoff to Nantes - by Brompton??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MaccPaddler

Velodyssee Roscoff to Nantes - by Brompton??

Post by MaccPaddler »

Planning a trip to France in June. We will be hopping about the country by a combination of modes of transport so our 700c tourers are not feasible, but using our Bromptons would make all transport problems vanish in a trice.

We are thinking about gentle touring - maximum ~70km per day.

Please can anyone provide info about the quality of the surfaces of EV1 from Roscoff to Nantes?

Are the green ways and canal path OK for Bromptons?

My French guidebook mentions that some surfaces are tarmac, but that others are stony. How stony - rideable by Brompton stony, or rideable by gravel bike/tourer/MTB stony? My wife is not a hardy cyclist and turns pale and walks on rocky tracks like those along the Great Glen way.

Thanks for any insights.
dodger

Re: Velodyssee Roscoff to Nantes - by Brompton??

Post by dodger »

The only rough section I encountered was from Redon to Nantes. Not so good on a large wheel bike, even less so on a Brompton. But, the surfaces are regularly upgraded, so maybe now it's fine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We didn't do much of it in the end. It was a bit too far each day for our son. We had a followme-tandem but he got a new bike with qr axle so couldn't use it. Only realised it in Plymouth getting ready for the ferry.

The first bit out of roscoff is a bit of gravel / rocky path that soon becomes road. Very undulating and a bit tough if you're doing a lot of miles I reckon. We ended up taking trains with the bikes (one was a recumbent). IMHO taking full sized bikes on trains (ter ones) is a doddle. Cheap fares too.

A few other sections we did were on tracks, a bit gravelly. 26" wheels no problem. My son on 20" no problem. My recumbent on 20"/26" no problem.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

I joined the EV1 in Morlaix and went south a few years ago.
I can't recall the specifics of the sections, apart from after Nantes the surfaces were more consistently better. The section to Nantes was more inconsistent

I'm sure you've seen this: https://www.velodyssey.com/

In terms of surface and quality. I recall specifically cycling along a canal where the path was little more than about 10-12 inches wide with grass growing nice and high on both sides. I thought it was fun. A wet day and the mud would have been more challenging.
I travelled in April and the weather was erratic. There were sections that I recall from my initial research that were "sensitive" to the weather. But June probably won't be too much of an issue.

I met regularly with a guy on a recumbent who was travelling the same way and he would occasionally complain about "difficult" cycling conditions. Mind you, he complained about everything! :D

If you're not obsessed with big distances I'd be pretty sure it's not just doable, but enjoyable. The worst case if your wife is uncomfortable is to turn around and grab some public transport to the next section.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I don’t know Roscof to carhaix Plouger (I was with the kids and we ran out of time so taxied that section) but after that the canal is fine to Redon. The roads from roscof to Nantes are ok but I haven’t tried the canal for that section.
MaccPaddler

Post by MaccPaddler »

Thanks for the comments. Nobody has dissuaded us from trying the route on Bromptons.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

MaccPaddler wrote:Thanks for the comments. Nobody has dissuaded us from trying the route on Bromptons.

Obviously know the route and area well. The canal sections are pretty good in most places being sort of beaten earth/cinder - it's better than tarmac as with the usual trees along the canal the routes break up tarmac pretty quickly. If it's wet you'll get covered so make sure you've mudguards but is dry (and it probably will be) the surface is pretty fast. You'll come across certain sections (around Glomel for example) where work has been done and the surface has rather more hardcore than cinder and can be quite dodgy, but it's a beautiful section to walk anyway;-)

Also be aware that some sections e.g. Carhaix to Gouarec - can have very little in the way of watering holes (if the bar at Glomel/Creherer is closed there's none) without leaving the canal and so be prepared to carry water and food. We got caught out 30 years ago and things haven't improved much. From Gouarec on things get a little more easy with stops every 20 km or so.

The section from Morlaix to Carhaix can be a little more problematic as it can be both muddy and a bit steep - Kate (SWMBO) walked some sections on her 700c tourer so a Brompton will have to take care. If it gets a bit much the main road running nearly parallel is a lovely quiet ride and much faster (D769) - worth the short detour to Huelgoat and the restaurant 'Le Relais de Diane' right on the cyclepath at Plounevezel is NOT TO BE MISSED!!!

BUT - it's gorgeous, varied and you will have an absolute ball - feel free to call in at our campsite at Gouarec for a beer.

Please U2U if you want any help
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

MaccPaddler wrote:Thanks for the comments. Nobody has dissuaded us from trying the route on Bromptons.

I have ridden extensively in France and regularly on a Brompton. I am planning a tour of France using the Brompton with the same 20kgs of luggage and full camping kit that I carry on my tourer. I have found the roads/cycle routes in France far better surfaced than English ones and you can always find a D or C road running parallel to the EV or canal track if the going gets that rough and you can catch a bus to avoid if you want. . The reason I use my Brompton is so that I can fly easily with it or put it on Eurostar without hassle. I like to be flexible on tour. Usually after 3 days of riding I don't really notice that much difference compared with my tourer. However I am not looking to break any records and I am never in a hurry averaging less than 35 miles a day and about 12-15kph when touring. 70k would be feasible. Don't let anyone put you off touring on a Brompton plenty of people did this to me. However, it all changed when I bought this book. Look at some of the terrain he has crossed on a heavily loaded Brompton which he used for 9 years.
IMG_8408.JPG
Also try this link

http://www.bromptontraveler.com/2013/10 ... asics.html

There are other links also some on the Brompton site itself.

For credit card touring I get everything in a front bag and for this I prefer Radical Designs C bag. For full touring I use a Carradice waterproof front bag ugly but cheap., A Barley saddlebag reversed on the handlebars a Camper Longflap on the seat and the tent strapped to the rack. A couple of Alpkit food type bags on the handlebars. A popular way is to strap a rucksack to the rear rack but I was never happy with this and if I had £800 I would use a Radical Designs Trailer. I got rid of the standard pedals and use MKS. Standard pedals can be an issue more the fixed pedal, and if you can afford it buy MKS Easy. However they are not big enough for me and I use Lambada's. Removing pedals is only an issue on a plane usually. Take 2 spare tyres and 4 tubes (for 2) and Brake Blocks. A Brompton is the only bike I ever tour on and take spokes also. Get the bike checked or serviced before you go normally the front wheel bearings are like grinding pepper. However they are tough little bikes as witnessed by the abuse dished out by commuters. and as I keep reminding people they are a proper bike and not a toy. Go for it and make sure you visit Breton Bikes at Gourec Geoff is a mine of information and he would be interested in your trip Cheers Peter
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Totally agree with bretonbikes re the section from Morlaix to Carhaix. We did it last summer and it was slow due to some rain. You also can't see much as it is so wooded. We swapped after day 1 onto roads. The minor roads were empty but we even spent some time on a major road where we were treated with the utmost courtesy. A lorry following us uphill sat and waited until he could give us the full lanes width before he overtook. If I did it again, I'd use the roads from the off.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

bretonbikes wrote:

Obviously know the route and area well. The canal sections are pretty good in most places being sort of beaten earth/cinder - it's better than tarmac as with the usual trees along the canal the routes break up tarmac pretty quickly. If it's wet you'll get covered so make sure you've mudguards but is dry (and it probably will be) the surface is pretty fast. You'll come across certain sections (around Glomel for example) where work has been done and the surface has rather more hardcore than cinder and can be quite dodgy, but it's a beautiful section to walk anyway;-)

Also be aware that some sections e.g. Carhaix to Gouarec - can have very little in the way of watering holes (if the bar at Glomel/Creherer is closed there's none) without leaving the canal and so be prepared to carry water and food. We got caught out 30 years ago and things haven't improved much. From Gouarec on things get a little more easy with stops every 20 km or so.

The section from Morlaix to Carhaix can be a little more problematic as it can be both muddy and a bit steep - Kate (SWMBO) walked some sections on her 700c tourer so a Brompton will have to take care. If it gets a bit much the main road running nearly parallel is a lovely quiet ride and much faster (D769) - worth the short detour to Huelgoat and the restaurant 'Le Relais de Diane' right on the cyclepath at Plounevezel is NOT TO BE MISSED!!!

BUT - it's gorgeous, varied and you will have an absolute ball - feel free to call in at our campsite at Gouarec for a beer.

I wont be on a Brompton Bretonbikes but am hoping to pitch my tent at your Gouarec campsite on Sunday night... if you see a confused old man on a battered red Cannondale its me :-) Looking forward to exploring the local area !!
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

zenitb wrote:
bretonbikes wrote:

I wont be on a Brompton Bretonbikes but am hoping to pitch my tent at your Gouarec campsite on Sunday night... if you see a confused old man on a battered red Cannondale its me :-) Looking forward to exploring the local area !!

No problem - I'll look forward to it. There are restaurants open in the village (300m from the campsite) but be sure to book in as soon as you arrive. If you're after 7.00pm just camp up and I'll see you in the morning - feel free to pinch the plastic chairs etc...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

zenitb wrote:
bretonbikes wrote:

Not confused or 'old' but the Cannondale is well used;-) Timed to the best weather as well...
horizon

Post by horizon »

This was well covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129465

so everyone probably still has thread fatigue. I would still stand by my view that larger wheels would be better but from the sound of it, the route isn't brilliant in parts for larger wheels either.

I would be interested to know which problems on your plan the Brompton solved. Also whether in the past you have decided to limit yourself to a Brompton as opposed to seeing it as a useful addition to your cycling stable (i.e. is this the only bike you've got so it was Hobson's hoice as to which to take).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

bretonbikes wrote:
zenitb wrote:
bretonbikes wrote:

Not confused or 'old' but the Cannondale is well used;-) Timed to the best weather as well...

Bretonbikes I really enjoyed the stay at your Gouarec campsite. I was a solo cyclist so it was a great place to meet up with other cyclists and swap stories. You both made me feel v.welcome. Will be back!! :-)
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

zenitb wrote:
bretonbikes wrote:
zenitb wrote:

Bretonbikes I really enjoyed the stay at your Gouarec campsite. I was a solo cyclist so it was a great place to meet up with other cyclists and swap stories. You both made me feel v.welcome. Will be back!! :-)

Glad you had fun - I'm trying to persuade other campsites on the route that being 'velo friendly' means giving out chairs and having a covered area/kitchen as the basic necessities but it's hard going. Just imagine if every campsite on the route had a kitchen and chairs - straight off most cycletourists would be able to leave 4 kgs at home and not have to worry about finding fuel etc;-) It'll come but cyclecamping doesn't have much of a history here and though it's growing really fast the basics are having to be learned from scratch.