Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Yes, you can press the location button (top left) in c.t running in a web browser and it'll follow the course. It won't do turn-by-turn directions on the web, only in the app.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Question: in the iPhone app I've found the altitude plot (drag-up the bottom info bar) but can't find the total ascent and decent for the entire route (as top right on altitude plot on web interface). It's the total ascent & descent that I find most useful (maybe the max is useful to others but I personally don't use that as a max could be for 100m or for 1 mile giving very different challenges).

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

It doesn't do that yet - the website has a big swathe of code to process and smooth the raw elevation data, which is required to get a realistic ascent/descent figure, and I haven't yet ported that to Swift for the app. It'll come in time but not before I've got further with the Android app!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Feature Request (unless I've missed the functionality):
Is there a possibility to create "Not Via" points - like "Via Points" except point of avoidance.

Reason: Sometimes there are temporary blocks e.g. near me some short term roadworks completely blocking road but only for a couple of weeks so not worth OSM updates. Whilst one can add "Via Points" to avoid the roadworks (or whatever closure) the routing is then switching to manual which loses the benefit of cycle.travels algorithms (balancing traffic volumes against hills against distance, etc. Adding a "Not Via" would keep all cycle.travel's routing algorithms but still create a route that can be ridden.

Many other uses e.g. if you know the roads and find one junction really nasty (though traffic volumes, etc. make it a fine choice for routing) you could just add a "Not Via", etc.

I appreciate some functionality might sound straight forward but need a massive range of changes ...

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I can see the idea, but... how does the algorithm know how wide to caste the net, in search of a better way? A not-via point would be exactly that - a point.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 26 May 2023, 11:44am I can see the idea, but... how does the algorithm know how wide to caste the net, in search of a better way? A not-via point would be exactly that - a point.
Without knowing or understanding the routing internals, my thought was it would just behave as though there was no road there (or a closed gate or something) i.e. cannot route through a "Not Via" point.

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

That falls into the category of "things Contraction Hierarchies can't do", I'm afraid! (CH is the very fast routing algorithm c.t uses.) You can do that if you're calculating routes on-the-fly - in fact I think brouter.de offers the feature, because its algorithm is basically a slightly accelerated version of A* which explores the graph afresh every time you ask for a route. But all the precalculations that make c.t fast rule out modifying the routing graph like that.

What I do find in these circumstances is that the "Find alternative" button will very often choose a route away from the area you want to avoid.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

brouter has circular "no-go" areas that prevent the routing engine from going through them. Very useful for avoiding large cities!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

matt_twam_asi wrote: 26 May 2023, 12:06pm brouter has circular "no-go" areas that prevent the routing engine from going through them. Very useful for avoiding large cities!
But unhelpful when you want to visit one of those cities?
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

mattheus wrote: 26 May 2023, 12:10pm
matt_twam_asi wrote: 26 May 2023, 12:06pm brouter has circular "no-go" areas that prevent the routing engine from going through them. Very useful for avoiding large cities!
But unhelpful when you want to visit one of those cities?
Well, yes. Obviously. That's what regular waypoints are for.
PH

Post by PH »

I don't think I'd want that. Some urban areas are easier to traverse than others, but in all cases I'd want to know if that avoidance created any additional distance and if so how much. Same goes for other stuff I prefer to avoid, how much of a preference and how far someone would go to avoid is going to be different for all of us, it might even be different for the same rider on a different ride. Before I start plotting on CT I'll sometimes but the start and end point into Google maps walking mode. That gives an idea of what might be possible, there's no point chasing the impossible.
I have a few minor frustrations with CT, none of which I'd like to see any speed sacrificed for.
RickH

Post by RickH »

A very minor feature request.

Would it be possible to be able to clear/delete a route when you've only defined the start.

When using a touch screen (or even an overly sensitive track pad) it is all too easy to mis-drag and register a tap on the map instead, starting a route somewhere random. It isn't that much hassle to tap another (random) point nearby then tap the X button to clear it. But it would be nicer if I could just tap the X without the intermediate step.

Thanks
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

A small suggestion thats in no hurry due your (very important :) ) current work on the (eventually) offline (...Edit: but I thought the main point of an app would be offline maps?) android app:--

If the routing engine has been updated between when a route was last saved and its current reopening, could a warning dialog be given, so that the user knows that any new saved changes after that will require them to inspect the entire route to check any new routing is acceptable to them?

Thanks for all the routes and maps :)
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 2 Jun 2023, 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Sparky56

importing gpx files into the cycle.travel app

Post by Sparky56 »

is there a way to import GPX files into the cycle.travel app on iOS please (iPad and iPhone) ?

i cant seem to see a setting.

I’ve paid for the supporter membership. & will test out in comparison with the ordnance survey app as per my other thread.

edit: I see that gpx can be uploaded by the web app - but that cycle.travel app might change it. Is there a way to import gpx without it being adjusted?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Cycle travel the app doesn’t seem to think I’m a subscriber although it happily talks to my cycle.travel account on safari which shows that I am. Not a big deal but if anyone knows how to join the 2 up that would be nice.