Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonineaston

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by simonineaston »

The former.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
glucas

Post by glucas »

This might be why the Godmanchester to St Ives route was cut out of the NCR 51. The meadow is sometimes flooded:
SmartSelect_20230319-091009_WhatsApp.jpg
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

For some reason, unlike OpenStreetMap, Cycle.Travel doesn't show traffic signals at junctions but I find that info useful often switching to OSM to check:

coukd it be made an option (which affect printouts/pdfs too)?

Thanks for all the mapping routes :-)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Might be challenging as c.t's cartography has thinner roads than OSM, so it's harder to fit a legible traffic light symbol in! But I'll give it some thought.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 8:24pm Might be challenging as c.t's cartography has thinner roads than OSM, so it's harder to fit a legible traffic light symbol in! But I'll give it some thought.
Thanks, couldn't the symbol go beside the road rather than in it?

EDITed to add
The very useful ability to add and split routes at overnights (crescent moon via symbol) seems to have gone awol?

Thanks for all the maps and routes :)
Richard Fairhurst

SA_SA_SA wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 11:10am
Richard Fairhurst wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 8:24pm Might be challenging as c.t's cartography has thinner roads than OSM, so it's harder to fit a legible traffic light symbol in! But I'll give it some thought.
Thanks, couldn't the symbol go beside the road rather than in it?
Not trivially - I don't think that's something that either Mapnik (the map renderer used by the cycle.travel website) or Maplibre GL (used by the app) can do. But I might be wrong!
The very useful ability to add and split routes at overnights (crescent moon via symbol) seems to have gone awol?
It should still be there - note though that it won't show up (and never has) for routes of less than 30ish miles, because you can probably do those in one day. ;)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I see you’ve been refining the daily split of metres climbed. I thought it was ok before but if I have to choose a symbol to go with the elevation it would be the day number.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 4:40pm
Thanks, couldn't the symbol go beside the road rather than in it?....
Not trivially - I don't think that's something that either Mapnik (the map renderer used by the cycle.travel website) or Maplibre GL (used by the app) can do. But I might be wrong!....
Does it matter if the traffic light symbol is bigger than the road? Make showing them in cycle.travel render an option (after android app :-) )....
It should still be there - note though that it won't show up (and never has) for routes of less than 30ish miles, because you can probably do those in one day. ;)
Ok thanks, that might explain why it didn't appear on my 29.9mile route!! :)

(Which I wanted to split into two options)
mjr

Post by mjr »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 8:24pm
Richard Fairhurst wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 4:40pm
Thanks, couldn't the symbol go beside the road rather than in it?....
Not trivially - I don't think that's something that either Mapnik (the map renderer used by the cycle.travel website) or Maplibre GL (used by the app) can do. But I might be wrong!....
Does it matter if the traffic light symbol is bigger than the road?
Yes because you lose detail on the junction layout.

I think the default osm layer just puts one coloured dot, while another (I forget which) has no fill so the road is visible through the symbol, which is OK 98% of the time but occasionally is unreadable.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Could a signalled junction be represented by a (translucent?) Green* dot/circle (or other simple shape) rather than the full three aspects?

*we all want signals we approach to be their bluey shade of green so why not represent them by it.....
Alternately, if blue-green doesnt work on ct olive Trunk roads, then perhaps amber?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've just been playing around with a prospective route, clicked the Night button, which I've not used before, and got a quiet different route. It knocked 6km off the route (which is just over 200km) and used "random"* lanes rather than a mix of NCN and towpath. What's the logic behind this? Is it something to allow c.t to use busier roads on the assumption that you'll be riding at night so they'll be quieter than during the day?

*Obviously they're not really random, they're just not a signed route.
Richard Fairhurst

The basic idea behind Night mode is to avoid unlit paths that might be intimidating at night for some cyclists. So if you plan a route across London, for example, it'll avoid the Regent's Canal towpath, paths across parks, that sort of thing. It sticks to roads - and adjacent cycleways - more than any of the other modes (even Paved). So in this case it sounds like it's avoiding the towpath sections, and that's causing it to choose a substantially different route.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

I have just opened Cycle Travel in Safari, and a load of what appears to be HTML code is obscuring the top third of the screen. I have not as yet tried to open in a different browser.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 11:09pm The basic idea behind Night mode is to avoid unlit paths that might be intimidating at night for some cyclists. So if you plan a route across London, for example, it'll avoid the Regent's Canal towpath, paths across parks, that sort of thing. It sticks to roads - and adjacent cycleways - more than any of the other modes (even Paved). So in this case it sounds like it's avoiding the towpath sections, and that's causing it to choose a substantially different route.
Thank you. Both for the explanation and the routing idea.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Steve X wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 8:53am I have just opened Cycle Travel in Safari, and a load of what appears to be HTML code is obscuring the top third of the screen. I have not as yet tried to open in a different browser.
While we're waiting for the experts...

What device and which version of Safari?

If it happens again I suggest quitting and relaunching Safari, and if that doesn't work deleting the relevant caches and cookies.

Jonathan