Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Spot on - my first Mac was at university in 1992!

The Android app should be a lot quicker to build partly because I’ve done all the backend stuff already (the vector mapping etc.) but also because I’ve -mostly! - figured out the logic required for things like the turn-by-turn instructions. So although it’ll need to be coded afresh, it’s more like translating an existing novel than writing a new one.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Thanks, that would handy, having offline maps in same form as one planned ones journey would be useful.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Richard Fairhurst

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 9:58pmWhen I first added the Archies data, it was much better than that available in OpenStreetMap. My sense is that in the intervening years OSM has gone a long way to catching up in campsite locations, if not in metadata (phone numbers/opening times). Certainly all the campsites near me are on OSM now and I'm sure that'll be the case in the German-speaking countries too. Whether it's true further afield, who knows, but I'll spend some time looking into it.
I've now done a few calculations on this.

For 80% of the Archies campsites shown on cycle.travel, there's a campsite in OSM close by (i.e. marked within about half a kilometre, which given data accuracy and the potential size of campsites seems like a reasonable tolerance).

But, on the other hand, OSM now has many more campsites than Archies - about 60% more in Europe!

So it seems like a no-brainer to move over to OSM data in due course. I might keep the surplus campsites from Archies around for a while, but with the disclaimer that "this data isn't being maintained any more so use at your own risk".
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Whenever asking CT to recommend a campsite, I've always checked its recommendations via a web search. Very occasionally the site has closed. Slightly more often it turns out to be unsuitable, as in not taking tents but being caravans only. And sometimes I just don't like the look of it! But usually it's okay.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 7:30pm Whenever asking CT to recommend a campsite, I've always checked its recommendations via a web search. Very occasionally the site has closed. Slightly more often it turns out to be unsuitable, as in not taking tents but being caravans only. And sometimes I just don't like the look of it! But usually it's okay.
Hardly a cycle.travel issue then? I've had many more issues with just about every other planner that I've ever used compared to C.T. Seems to me most planners have really stale data, it obviously helps I'm using a caravan so not a marginal user.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's an Archies issue, as above.
PH

Post by PH »

Apologies if this has been asked in the previous pages, I'm not reading them all!
The question is - If I download a route from the Cycletravel directly to Garmin Connect what am I getting? Is it something the Garmin might interpret differently to the route I've plotted?
The context is - I've changed from a Touring to an Explore 2. On the Touring I could download a track and just follow the line, I can do the same on the Explore but the line doesn't show clearly enough. I've experimented with loading via Connect and followed a few courses without it making any alterations, but these are routes I know so it wouldn't have been an issue if it had. I'd want to be sure before using it for Audax or touring.
Thanks
Richard Fairhurst

cycle.travel just sends the route line to Garmin Connect - it's up to Garmin what happens with it from then on. Possibly a setting on the GPS unit somewhere?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've tried the app now. Where do the turn-by-turn intructions 'come from'? Can I change the voice? 'He' is different from the voice I use for the rest of the voice interaction on my phone.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Hello.

I hope the android app is coming along nicely.... :)

I wondered if cycle.travel web or app code is on github or somewhere else (I found you on github as systemD but no app or web code (I think...).

Thanks for all the mapping :-)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I was looking for a cycle.travel app on the Play Store yesterday. More in hope than expectation, as I'm sure we would have heard about it if it were ready.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 7:27pm I was looking for a cycle.travel app on the Play Store yesterday. More in hope than expectation, as I'm sure we would have heard about it if it were ready.
Google play store will probably crash the day it gets released
Richard Fairhurst

simonineaston wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 4:59pm I've tried the app now. Where do the turn-by-turn intructions 'come from'? Can I change the voice? 'He' is different from the voice I use for the rest of the voice interaction on my phone.
I'll look into that - which voice do you usually use?
Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 7:27pm I was looking for a cycle.travel app on the Play Store yesterday. More in hope than expectation, as I'm sure we would have heard about it if it were ready.
You will! It won't be immediately I'm afraid but I currently have the raw cycle.travel map appearing nicely on my test Android phone, so it's getting there slowly...
SA_SA_SA wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 2:11pmI wondered if cycle.travel web or app code is on github or somewhere else (I found you on github as systemD but no app or web code (I think...).
It's not public or open source I'm afraid (I have no ambition for the last n years of my life to be used as free labour by Komoot ;) ). But some of the components it uses are. A couple of relevant ones:
  • OSRM - this is the core routing engine used by cycle.travel (albeit c.t's implementation has diverged a lot from the public one)
  • tilemaker - this generates the vector map tiles used in the app
  • Maplibre GL - this displays the vector map tiles in the app
  • The raster map tiles used on the website are generated with the standard OSM stack (Mapnik, PostGIS, osm2pgsql, mod_tile/renderd) and served with Leaflet
If I get chance I might release a couple of incidental bits as open source - for example, I've just ported an OSGB<->lat/lon converter to Swift (for the iPhone app) because I couldn't find one, and that might be useful to others. Never enough hours in the day as always!
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 10:04am ....It's not public or open source I'm afraid (.....
OK, thanks for your reply.

For some reason I thought I (mis?)remembered you suggesting others could look at your code in order to add stuff; that and the fact that use of cycle.travel is free made me assume the source would be open.

Anyway, thanks for all the mapping, and thanks in advance for the Android app :-)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'll look into that - which voice do you usually use?
Siri is set to UK female. That selection seems to carry through to most other apps that have a voice. I didn't see Siri as a bloke. I wonder is there's a gender split for Siri's voice ie most blokes imagining she's female and most women prefering a man's voice. I remember a colleague had her satnav set to bloke, her comment being she rather fancied he sounded like George Clooney.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)