Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It would be great if someone were to design a route-planner for recumbents but that site won't be cycle.travel, I'm afraid - the fast algorithm (Contraction Hierarchies) isn't suited to tickbox filters, and I can't really justify buying a new server just for a recumbent option. I'd always recommend using brouter.de if you have this sort of requirement - it's incredibly configurable, at the cost of planning speed.

(Actually - I just looked and brouter already has a recumbent option! :D )

But like I say, I'll look into highlighting steps.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 5 May 2022, 12:29pm It would be great if someone were to design a route-planner for recumbents but that site won't be cycle.travel, I'm afraid - the fast algorithm (Contraction Hierarchies) isn't suited to tickbox filters, and I can't really justify buying a new server just for a recumbent option. I'd always recommend using brouter.de if you have this sort of requirement - it's incredibly configurable, at the cost of planning speed.

(Actually - I just looked and brouter already has a recumbent option! :D )

But like I say, I'll look into highlighting steps.
Warnings would be fine - just as good as it's easy to add via points if they are a problem for you. EV15 has some massive steps to get up to a bridge to cross the Rhine and whilst there are gutter channels for bike wheels even of 2 wheels but with loaded camping/touring gear it's something of a strain getting up and down the other side.

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

By the by my unfortunate fully (very) loaded encounter with steps was trying to get off the Bridgewater Canal - quite common with canal exits/entries - and cyclectravel quite likes bits of canal riding. This is how I discovered that OSM/OCM is often very good at logging them - if you peer very very closely.
The other pretty common occurence I can think of is on exit/entry to bike paths created from old railway lines.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 3 May 2022, 7:27pm On desktop it's on the left:

Screenshot 2022-05-03 at 19.26.10.png

On mobile it's towards the bottom of the 'hamburger' menu (top right).
That isn't the left, is it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Well, the left of the screen. The right of the left of the screen. ;)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Apologies if this has been asked before but I am having difficulty with the gpx naming. My first route was say A to B but thereafter any subsequent variations of route all seem to come up with the same gpx name whatever the start and finish point. This makes picking the route in an Elment Roam quite tricky when 3 gpxs all have the same name. I tried renaming on the computer but the transferred file always goes back to the original name.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The name that's displayed on my Garmin Edge 1000 isn't taken from the GPX file name but from the <name> element near the start. I routinely edit that to control the name that's shown and the order in which routes are shown.

I use a text editor but I assume that you could also use an XML editor or dedicated GPS software.

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Thanks for the response Jonathan.

I think the Roam just takes the gpx file name which is probably an issue. Perhaps there is a work around in the Roam which I am unaware of. I was hoping not to have to go via gpx editor if possible!!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

brianleach wrote: 16 May 2022, 3:50pm Thanks for the response Jonathan.

I think the Roam just takes the gpx file name which is probably an issue. Perhaps there is a work around in the Roam which I am unaware of. I was hoping not to have to go via gpx editor if possible!!
I may have misunderstood what is going on here, but to change the <name> text that jd refers to is really vv easy, just by using standard Windows Notepad. No technical knowledge, not XML etc, required!
(I think my eTrex does the same thing, so it seems very likely that it's NOT the filename that matters.)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I may have misunderstood what is going on here, but to change the <name> text that jd refers to is really vv easy, just by using standard Windows Notepad. No technical knowledge, not XML etc, required!
Thanks that works although I am still puzzled why it happens in the first place!!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

brianleach wrote: 16 May 2022, 4:48pm... I am still puzzled why it happens in the first place!!
It's good practice to declare the route name explicitly within the file. It allows the length, character set etc to be independent of any constraints imposed by the operating system, which of course has to handle the file name.

"GPX: the GPS Exchange Format":
https://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format

Jonathan
Richard Fairhurst

brianleach wrote: 16 May 2022, 3:35pm Apologies if this has been asked before but I am having difficulty with the gpx naming. My first route was say A to B but thereafter any subsequent variations of route all seem to come up with the same gpx name whatever the start and finish point.
The GPX will be given the name of whatever you've saved the route as on cycle.travel. So if you save your route first, the name you give it should be what you'll see on the Wahoo/Garmin.

(It's actually the first 15 characters only of the name, because some GPS units restrict the name to that.)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Thanks Richard. I really appreciate your work on cycle travel so not wishing to be ungrateful. It is just subsequent routes with different start and finish points within the original saved route still seems to default to the original A to B name which I couldn't understand. It could possibly be a browser issue perhaps.
Richard Fairhurst

If you let me know the links to the saved routes I can take a look!
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

If you create a route and save it as a gpx, then edit it to have different start and end points and save it as a gpx with a different file name does the gpx name within the file stay the same because the route hasn't been saved in cycle.travel with a new name?
Richard M
Cardiff