Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RickH

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by RickH »

brianleach wrote: 16 May 2022, 7:09pm Thanks Richard. I really appreciate your work on cycle travel so not wishing to be ungrateful. It is just subsequent routes with different start and finish points within the original saved route still seems to default to the original A to B name which I couldn't understand. It could possibly be a browser issue perhaps.
In case you missed it you have to give it a different name in the save box AND make sure the "Save with new name:" button is selected. The button usually auto-selects when you type a new name but I've found in some scenarios (I think mainly when using cycle.travel in a browser with an android based setup) that you have to actively select the button as well as giving the new name.
Screenshot 2022-05-16 220408.png
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

RickH wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:10pm
brianleach wrote: 16 May 2022, 7:09pm Thanks Richard. I really appreciate your work on cycle travel so not wishing to be ungrateful. It is just subsequent routes with different start and finish points within the original saved route still seems to default to the original A to B name which I couldn't understand. It could possibly be a browser issue perhaps.
In case you missed it you have to give it a different name in the save box AND make sure the "Save with new name:" button is selected. The button usually auto-selects when you type a new name but I've found in some scenarios (I think mainly when using cycle.travel in a browser with an android based setup) that you have to actively select the button as well as giving the new name.

Screenshot 2022-05-16 220408.png
Before you export it to gpx.
Richard M
Cardiff
RickH

Post by RickH »

While I'm in this topic...

How easy would it be to make it possible to change the start/finish point of a route that is a "loop" - where the start & finish are the same place - but you want to start/finish at a different point in the loop without having to redo a big chunk of the planning?
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I think this is the answer. Thank you. My browser only gives me the Save option, no other so even though I had planned new routes it was still using the original locations. Use a different browser appears to be the solution!! No need to bother you further Richard Fairhurst.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

brianleach wrote: 17 May 2022, 7:42amI think this is the answer. Thank you. My browser only gives me the Save option, no other so even though I had planned new routes it was still using the original locations. Use a different browser appears to be the solution!! No need to bother you further Richard Fairhurst.
That's interesting - could you tell me what browser was doing that?
RickH wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:19pm How easy would it be to make it possible to change the start/finish point of a route that is a "loop" - where the start & finish are the same place - but you want to start/finish at a different point in the loop without having to redo a big chunk of the planning?
Funnily enough I have actually coded that, just haven't exposed it in the UI yet! I'll do it when I get a chance (remind me if I don't...).
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

That's interesting - could you tell me what browser was doing that?
Richard, I usually use a browser called Pale Moon which is Firefox based I believe. I tried Firefox this morning and the Save option comes up. However embarrassingly I tried again afterwards with Pale Moon and now the Save options come up so perhaps the browser has been updated since I did my route planning. I swear it wasn't there before!! I do find that some pages don't like the browser eg Ordnance Survey and Gopro to name 2 but generally it is a very good browser.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 17 May 2022, 10:13am ....
RickH wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:19pm How easy would it be to make it possible to change the start/finish point of a route that is a "loop" - where the start & finish are the same place - but you want to start/finish at a different point in the loop without having to redo a big chunk of the planning?
Funnily enough I have actually coded that, just haven't exposed it in the UI yet! I'll do it when I get a chance (remind me if I don't...).
Sounds a great feature e.g. I've been looking at one of cycle.travel's circular mulit-day routes but start/finish a log way from where I'd start/finish. That said I'd been thinking of using the "delete before" and "delete after" options with saving to create multiple day sections; the only minor ssue being if the preset start/finish is mid way in a day route 9but not insurmountable with a text editor).

Ian
pal

Post by pal »

While you're here and being badgered, Richard...!

Last weekend, I followed (most of) your excellent version of the 'Avenue Verte France' route. I encountered just one wrinkle along the way: at about km 214 (of this route: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/8095), the CT route diverts briefly from the river, crosses a rather busy road junction, goes along the road for a bit, and then goes back to the river (via a slightly sketchy back alley...). As far as I can see, the cycle path along the river is perfectly functional (indeed, I found myself re-overtaking people who'd just stayed on the route while I was detouring!). Is it possible that the CT detour is a legacy from an earlier route closure, or similar? If so, might it be possible to tweak things so that the CT route just stays by the river?

(Obviously this isn't a massive hill of beans, esp. not in the context of such a long route. And a more perceptive/less knackered rider than me would probably be able to exercise some common sense and just stay on the main route anyway. But every little helps, as someone once said...)
RickH

Post by RickH »

Another oddity I found today, but only in the OSM German Style when zoomed in to 500ft or above (using the scale on the top right). I presume it is an OSM glitch but it is above my pay grade to figure it out.

Upper Brook St in Manchester is one of the main roads south(ish) out of the city centre. Just south of the Mancunian Way/A57(M), between Grosvenor St & Booth St E, Upper Brook Street is a straight section of road & the first 3 map styles all render it as such. I can verify it is so, having been that way today, & has been so for many years.
Screenshot_20220517_161739_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
But the German style map does this!
Screenshot_20220517_161751_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
Something is definitely wrong somewhere, but I've no idea what.

I know it isn't a road you would generally want to cycle on (although I used to ride that bit pretty much every day during my student days in the late 80s & early 80s), but even so...
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

No idea why the German OSM is rendering in that way, but I think the root cause is that the Benka convenience store https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4722564151 has been joined onto Upper Brook Street. Before 09/11/2021 it was situated between Dominoes and Grand Daddy's Diner on Grosvenor Street which looks close to where OSM.de is rendering the route.

Regardless of anything else this is incorrect OSM practice (i.e. POIs shouldn't be joined to highways). If you can confirm where Benka should be located then I can remove it from Upper Brook Street and move it to the correct place.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

pal wrote: 17 May 2022, 2:04pmLast weekend, I followed (most of) your excellent version of the 'Avenue Verte France' route. I encountered just one wrinkle along the way: at about km 214 (of this route: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/8095), the CT route diverts briefly from the river, crosses a rather busy road junction, goes along the road for a bit, and then goes back to the river (via a slightly sketchy back alley...). As far as I can see, the cycle path along the river is perfectly functional (indeed, I found myself re-overtaking people who'd just stayed on the route while I was detouring!). Is it possible that the CT detour is a legacy from an earlier route closure, or similar?
I think it probably is, yes - either that or an artefact of how it's mapped in OSM. I've done a bit of a tweak so it should be better now.

I have a bit of code that takes a signposted route as mapped in OSM (a "route relation") and magically makes a cycle.travel route out of it with via points in the right places, but it's not 100% foolproof, especially when the route does something weird or goes over a segment that cycle.travel wouldn't usually route on. I do go through and check routes manually whenever I add them, but sometimes bits slip through!
RickH wrote: 17 May 2022, 9:14pm Another oddity I found today, but only in the OSM German Style when zoomed in to 500ft or above (using the scale on the top right). I presume it is an OSM glitch but it is above my pay grade to figure it out.
I suspect that was just someone messing up their OSM edit - different styles update at different times so it was perhaps just bad luck that the German style happened to coincide with the bad edit.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
pal

Post by pal »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 18 May 2022, 8:47pm I think it probably is, yes - either that or an artefact of how it's mapped in OSM. I've done a bit of a tweak so it should be better now.
Brilliant: thank you!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

The find accommodation is working a bit patchily at the moment.

I’ve tweaked the places I’m staying slightly to line up with towns and the system doesn’t seem to be keeping up with my changes. For example La Reole has 3 places per booking.com but none at the moment when I’m looking for accommodation on cycle.travel. I try to use this so you get a bit of commission plus it works well to see hot spots and blanks for places to stay. It’s enough if one place shows as then it can search around for their places nearby when I click through- I changed the search to include SC but that doesn’t seem to be helping much. Seems to be fine in the big cities.

Current route is here. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/318189
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Following MrsHJ raising accommodation, Feature request: Allow user preference (maybe for registered users in their profile or wherever) to specify the type of accommodation you are interested in. My distinction would be "camping" only (i.e. don't show hotels, B&Bs, etc.) but I guess what distinctions can be made depends on the sources of the accommodation info and what information they provide.

Ian
Edit: Below it's been pointed out to me that the above feature already exists and I'd never spotted it. So not a Feature Request, just a not very observant user!
Last edited by Psamathe on 22 May 2022, 11:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Psamathe wrote: 22 May 2022, 8:09pm Following MrsHJ raising accommodation, Feature request: Allow user preference (maybe for registered users in their profile or wherever) to specify the type of accommodation you are interested in. My distinction would be "camping" only (i.e. don't show hotels, B&Bs, etc.) but I guess what distinctions can be made depends on the sources of the accommodation info and what information they provide.

Ian
Well, it isn’t in settings but you can deselect everything except camping. I guess you know that and want it in settings anyway? - it’s top left on the page but it is showing a bit erratically at the moment.