Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It's the RAM that's the big thing. cycle.travel's core routing engine, OSRM, is very fast but also pretty memory-hungry. The latest core version of the code would need about 512GB RAM to calculate bike routing for the whole world. I use a very heavily customised version which is less memory-hungry, and which doesn't calculate all the regions at once - because you're not going to do Australia and the US in the same ride! But even then it's pretty demanding.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What fun! How did you end up working with this project, Richard? What, briefly is your background? Or at least, such that you are comfortable sharing, of course :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

c.t appears unwilling to route over the rather useful bridge at https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/27655273 (the driving on the alternative road is nasty, with wide SUVs hurtling around blind bends) and I can't figure out why. Can anyone spot the problem?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

Possibly that the bridge lacks any detail on surface - and cycle travel assumes that it is not good - is it paved like the rest of the track?
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

BeardyWeirdy wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 3:04pm Possibly that the bridge lacks any detail on surface - and cycle travel assumes that it is not good - is it paved like the rest of the track?
It's probably this, plus I think Richard mentioned that CT gives a positive weighting to NCN and EV routes which may also help nudge Barsham Road into being preferred.
Richard Fairhurst

BeardyWeirdy wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 3:04pm Possibly that the bridge lacks any detail on surface - and cycle travel assumes that it is not good - is it paved like the rest of the track?
Yep, that's it - it's tagged as highway=path without any surface tag, so c.t guesses that it's unpaved. It will still route across it in standard mode, just not in paved-only mode.
simonineaston wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 9:59am What fun! How did you end up working with this project, Richard? What, briefly is your background? Or at least, such that you are comfortable sharing, of course :-)
I'm a former magazine editor and sometime cartographer with a degree in Anglo-Saxon who plays the church organ. But mostly I just like cycling and maps :)

Oddly enough the first time I wrote any routing software was 30 years ago, for the Amstrad home computers. Someone did a video about it recently! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DD9R6b5yEw
roberts8

Cycle travel

Post by roberts8 »

Starting to use cycle travel on my phone on my barbag. If it works I will probably get a top tube bag to house the phone.
Maybe me being thick but if I turn the route in the direction I am going in the map is upside down making it difficult to read villages and road names.
Can I turn it to the direction I am travelling in?

Thanks
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This will be a setting on your phone rather than in cycle.travel, I think.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m waiting in the ferry queue so just tested mine as I couldn’t remember how it worked (as I last used it on Saturday!). You can swivel the view - 2 fingers on your iPhone to move the whole display. It default starts with north as up I think.
Richard Fairhurst

Not entirely sure about the question, but on the iPhone app, you can use the map icon (top left) to choose one of these:
  • Centred - your current position stays at the centre of the screen
  • Look ahead - your current position is at the bottom of the screen, and the map rotates to face the way you're going
  • Perspective - like "look ahead" but the map is tilted, satnav-style
You can also choose "Disable rotation in Centred view" from the app settings so you don't accidentally rotate the map manually.

If you're a supporter and you have the extra map styles, bear in mind that only the cycle.travel and Wayfarer styles are capable of correctly rotating the village/street labels as you go along. The other maps (including Ordnance Survey and IGN) are all north-up. (This is because they're built differently - they're "raster" maps which are a predefined set of images, a bit like a printed map, whereas the cycle.travel and Wayfarer maps are "vector" maps which are drawn on your phone at the orientation you desire.)
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Thanks for your help.
Reading upside down is not my forte.
Also helpful on quick link phone holder.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just getting my head around a forthcoming Android App.

Is it possible to say at this stage:

(1) if it will work in a phone without a SIM

(2) which is the earliest version of Android it will work with

I'm contemplating this because I have an old Samsung phone which is (allegedly) waterproof which could make a fine SatNav.
Richard Fairhurst

My challenge at the moment is to get a basic app out there and running! It will probably not have the offline maps capability from day 1, if that's what you mean about running SIM-free. I'm currently working to API level 31 which I think equates to Android 12.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

When you need people to test it to destruction through stupidity and ignoring all logic and instructions then we're here for you :D
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 5 May 2023, 11:25pm My challenge at the moment is to get a basic app out there and running! It will probably not have the offline maps capability from day 1, if that's what you mean about running SIM-free. I'm currently working to API level 31 which I think equates to Android 12.
Yes, offline maps is what I assume that I want.
Equivalent to my Garmin Edge Explore which has maps, and I load a GPX (or similar) route onto it from cycle.travel or Komoot.
So ancient Android a non-starter initially.

I haven't quite worked out how to use cycle.travel on my phone running within a web browser to navigate.
Do I just tell it to centre on my GPS location when I've loaded my route and the little dot will follow the route?
Or is there some option to "navigate me along this route" which I haven't found yet?