Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
brianleach

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by brianleach »

Help please! Simple question I'm sure. Having decided to become a supporter I now find I have a choice of maps. Sadly the cycle travel map no longer appears even after ticking the appropriate selection tab. Any planned route is shown as a line but no map. How do I get the c-t map back please. Thanks.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

RickH wrote: 6 Feb 2024, 12:11am I've found a slight problem with route creation using the web version on a smartphone (Android). Unless I'm missing something, It is no longer possible to extend the route once you have 2 points by doing a long press as that now brings up the new "Add a marker". The only way I've found is to tap just before the end to open the dialog with "Add a via point" & then drag the end towards where you want to go which is more convoluted.
Double-tap instead of long press should do it (and feels slightly snappier!).
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Richard Fairhurst

brianleach wrote: 6 Feb 2024, 8:15am Help please! Simple question I'm sure. Having decided to become a supporter I now find I have a choice of maps. Sadly the cycle travel map no longer appears even after ticking the appropriate selection tab. Any planned route is shown as a line but no map. How do I get the c-t map back please. Thanks.
Is that on the website (desktop/mobile), iPhone or Android? Is it with a particular route loaded or all the time?
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

It is on the website Richard and on all routes, even previously saved ones. All the other maps options render perfectly even on proposed \french routes. When I press the map option at the top it is completely blank. An arbitrary route just gives a line in space.

It only happened when I started tinkering with my profile!!
Richard Fairhurst

That's odd - nothing has changed on the site that should cause that to happen. Do you see a small square map in this post here?

brianleach

Post by brianleach »

No nothing Richard.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

A couple of other odd things Richard. The icon on the bicycle has disappeared from the top so it just say My and it doesn't show me as a supporter. Also I can't seem able to log out.
Richard Fairhurst

Ok - something has fouled up on your computer/network provider! If you can't see the map there then your computer is refusing to load images from cycle.travel's mapping server. It might be a bug somewhere in your system or it might be a misclick, but I don't think it's anything that cycle.travel can control, I'm afraid.

I'd suggest disabling any extensions that you might have installed (e.g. ad-blocker) and resetting your browser in any way you can. It might be worth trying another browser (e.g. Firefox if you usually use Chrome).
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Thanks Richard. I tried on a couple of other browsers and it was fine so I guessed that was the problem. One other thing though it shows me as a Beer supporter which I don't think I am!! Thanks again for all you do on this site.
Richard Fairhurst

Ah, it was getting thrown by the annual vs monthly payment thing (I've only recently switched that on!). Fixed, thank you.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I was determined not to let it beat me Richard so I interrogated the page settings and sure enough, just as you thought, the block cycle-travel images box had somehow been ticked. Unticked it and he presto the map reappeared and so did the my bicycle logo. Aren't computers wonderful!!!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 6 Feb 2024, 8:49am Double-tap instead of long press should do it (and feels slightly snappier!).
Thanks. That works. It used to just zoom in the map. But I rarely use that method if zooming maps, unless pinching doesn't work or causes problems.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Hi Richard. I wonder if you could comment on a feature of the App that I noticed while out today.

Rather than follow a route, I just fired up the App (android phone, v.13) and after I'd gone for a while tried to chose a place to navigated to on-the-fly.
Unfortunately, both the 'search' function and the 'highlighting the place with a poke' function failed to work.

Now I think I know why - the phone I use doesn't have a SIM in it. It connects to wifi (so that I can download maps, apps and routes), but since I only use it for navigation I don't use it as a phone and I really don't want to have a SIM.

When I got home and connected to WiFi the functions worked just fine.

Is this deliberate? I can't think that there's any data that would require a live connection to make the function work. Even if it requires up-to-date traffic stats (or something), it might be nice if it just worked without, or used old ones.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to finding out why I'm missing something really important :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pendodave wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 3:29pm ...
Rather than follow a route, I just fired up the App (android phone, v.13) and after I'd gone for a while tried to chose a place to navigated to on-the-fly.
Unfortunately, both the 'search' function and the 'highlighting the place with a poke' function failed to work.
What does it show for Settings... Location Services...

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Pendodave wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 3:29pm Hi Richard. I wonder if you could comment on a feature of the App that I noticed while out today.

Now I think I know why - the phone I use doesn't have a SIM in it. It connects to wifi (so that I can download maps, apps and routes), but since I only use it for navigation I don't use it as a phone and I really don't want to have a SIM.

When I got home and connected to WiFi the functions worked just fine.

Is this deliberate? I can't think that there's any data that would require a live connection to make the function work. Even if it requires up-to-date traffic stats (or something), it might be nice if it just worked without, or used old ones.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to finding out why I'm missing something really important :D
From the discussion here,

viewtopic.php?p=1826840#p1826840

my understanding is that routing is done on the server, not on the device. So a connection is necessary for routing services.

But I could well be wrong.