Tweed Valley Railway Path and beyond

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
geomannie

Tweed Valley Railway Path and beyond

Post by geomannie »

Anyone familiar with cycling in the Borders here? I am aware that there is supposed to be an offroad cycle path from PeeblIes to Innerleithen as outlined at https://cyclescottishborders.com/route/ ... lway-path/. I am planning to lead a group ride eastward abetween these places this sumer and I was wondering if this were a suitable route to take a group of about 10 people. Does anyone have any knowledge?

We will be coming from the west and I know from experience that the signed "T Route" west of Peebles is bl**dy awful so I will not take folk that way. I see from the map, however, that there is a footpath (also part of the old railway line) that starts about 3 miles west of Peebles (see https://www.plotaroute.com/map/770970). For my second question, does anyone know if this path is cyclable into Peebles on touring bikes or whether its really a walking route.

Thanks
geomannie
Paulatic

Re: Tweed Valley Railway Path and beyond

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve used the path to Innerleithen. I’m never sure how you get onto it in the town but I usually spot it from the A72 and push across some grass to get to it’s underpass under the road. . It’s nice black tarmac as far as Cadrona I can’t speak for beyond it I always come out at Cadrona and take the B road.
Going west from Peebles I think I know the path you speak of. I usually cycle out on the A72 and I turn off at Stobo station. I get glimpses of the path from the road only ever seen pedestrians on it and it looks like a hard packed type 1 base.

I did once take route T. :( ... never again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
julk

Post by julk »

I have ridden the path from Innerleithen to the underpass at the Peebles end and back with my wife who is not a strong rider.
It is a nice easy flat ride on tarmac for most of the length in lovely countryside alongside a river for part of the way.
It is ideal for a short easy ride on a nice sunny day.
At Innerleithen there are shops, free car park, public toilets, 2 cafes, not forgetting Caldwell’s ice cream shop which is almost mandatory!
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

You should be fine, but will probably need to ride single file for quite a bit as it’s not massively wide, but certainly wide enough to get past pedestrians without too much bother. I usually pick it up from the main road heading out of Peebles, a way after the roundabout where there used to be a petrol station there is a rough bit of a side road on the left (might even have a sign, although the sign might well be down the side road a bit). A short way down the side road you can turn right to climb slightly onto the old railway path. I think that if you miss it there is a lay-by on the left that the cycle path goes past on the pavement, so if you haven’t picked it up by then join it on the pavement there (I don’t recall any signage there to indicate that it is the cycle route though). A little way after that there is quite a steep switchback that takes you down towards the old tunnel under the main road. The path descends quite steeply into the tunnel, which is long enough to be quite dark, but short enough that my light sensing headlight doesn’t come on until I’m nearly through. It’s not uncommon to meet someone heading towards you and not see them until the last moment. After the tunnel it is pretty easy going to the cafe at Cardrona, where it is pretty easy to lose the route, although the back road the rest of the way from there is much nicer than the stretch between Peebles and Cardrona.
If you go straight over the roundabout the cycle route goes through a weird housing estate, just keep heading straight on, and out of the village past a small BMX track (fine on my tourer, even with panniers, and well worth a lap or two). Then it’s easy going all the way to Innerleithen, with a great bridge over the river at some point. The surface is tarmac all the way I think, although a few bits are a bit of a washboard due to roots, but none of it is all that bad. The route spits you out on a side road in Innerleithen where you can go left to the village and shops, or right to the MTB trails, the Gordon Arms and Eskdalemuir. Three is a back road that carries on down the valley if you go past the MTB trails (right off the cycle path, over the river, and first left I think).
Craigie

Post by Craigie »

In reply to Q about the section west of Peebles, no, it's certainly not rideable - narrow in places, muddy, steep etc. I wouldn't want to even carry a bike over the worst sections. It's can also be busy and is popular with dog walkers.

By the 'T route' do you mean from Lyne Station, crossing the Tweed by the footbridge? There is a short section (200m?) after the footbridge that may or may not be rideable but it's walkable even with a loaded bike. It gets hilly after that though - very hilly over Manor Sware!

By taking the main road (A72) at the bottom of Manor Valley (steep R juntion!) it's only a short ride into Peebles and isn't too busy a road.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Thanks all. I get a pretty clear idea. East of Peebles to Innerleithen seems OK, westward the old railway line is really a walking route. That helps my planning.

Cheers
geomannie
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A new bit to Walkerburn has had opening ceremony today :D Looks good
A8CD8BAB-2540-4DE9-BD97-D8374B5A0377.jpeg

E2E info
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

That does look good! Is that carrying along the old railway trackbed from Innerleithen to the Walkerburn bridge?
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Paulatic wrote:A new bit to Walkerburn has had opening ceremony today :D Looks good

Now that looks nice! As I said before, this May I am planning to take a cycle group from the west through Pebbles and Innerleithen. I do not want to take them the so called "T Loop" that goes off road for a section (from experience its not great). From what I have learned, the cycle path eastward from Innerleithen looks a really good option.

This the route I plan, a balance of main road and cycle way, is this https://www.plotaroute.com/route/784352. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks for our thoughts.
geomannie
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

geomannie wrote:I am planning to take a cycle group from the west through Pebbles...

I think the surface is better through Peebles.
IGMC
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:That does look good! Is that carrying along the old railway trackbed from Innerleithen to the Walkerburn bridge?

Yes Richard I would think so.

E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

geomannie wrote:
Paulatic wrote:A new bit to Walkerburn has had opening ceremony today :D Looks good

Now that looks nice! As I said before, this May I am planning to take a cycle group from the west through Pebbles and Innerleithen. I do not want to take them the so called "T Loop" that goes off road for a section (from experience its not great). From what I have learned, the cycle path eastward from Innerleithen looks a really good option.

This the route I plan, a balance of main road and cycle way, is this https://www.plotaroute.com/route/784352. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks for our thoughts.

Yes that’s how I cycle in or out of Peebles except I’ve yet to join at the start of path at 6.3ml.

E2E info
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Paulatic wrote:
geomannie wrote:

Thanks for our thoughts.

Yes that’s how I cycle in or out of Peebles except I’ve yet to join at the start of path at 6.3ml.

Thanks. That is great to know.

Cheers
geomannie
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

This video shows the section from Stobo, over the Tweed bridge near Lyne Station, and around Cademuir into Peebles. It is certainly not the quickest or easiest route, but is quite nice if you are not in a hurry. It's probably not the easiest route to navigate first time around, but I think the video includes the main turns at junctions that are required to get to Peebles.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It is certainly not the quickest or easiest route, but is quite nice if you are not in a hurry

I’d second that I’ve done it once but never fancied doing it again knowing how easy my usual route is in comparison.

E2E info