Lancashire's most dangerous roads for cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Lancashire's most dangerous roads for cyclists

Postby Paulatic » 17 Mar 2019, 8:18am

The figures for the A59 don’t surprise me. Probably more surprised as many people cycle it.
https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire- ... s-15972047
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Lancashire's most dangerous roads for cyclists

Postby Mick F » 17 Mar 2019, 8:43am

It's all a bit generalised.
I've cycled on the A59 for many years and wouldn't hesitate again even today.
Mind you, I'm talking about the A59 Aughton/Ormskirk/Burscough/Rufford/Tarlton.
Good cycling road IMO.
Mick F. Cornwall

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 17 Mar 2019, 9:23am

Apart from the rather peaceful roads of the Trough of Bowland and Forest of Bowland I’ve only had one other ride in Lancashire. Very enjoyable it was, too, but I do recall a bit of ‘A’ road riding to get in a loop. Oh, but wasn’t it Oscar Wilde who remarked that the Lancashire cyclist is best advised to strap his bike to a car and drive to the Yorkshire Wolds...?

http://cycleseven.org/big-sky-cycling

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 17 Mar 2019, 10:34am

keyboardmonkey wrote: Oh, but wasn’t it Oscar Wilde who remarked that the Lancashire cyclist is best advised to strap his bike to a car and drive to the Yorkshire Wolds...?

g

Then when you get there lie in the gutter so you can't see it but looking at the stars?

Greetings from lancs.
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 17 Mar 2019, 10:43am

Paulatic wrote:The figures for the A59 don’t surprise me. Probably more surprised as many people cycle it.
https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire- ... s-15972047

Thanks for the link and its alert about the A584 as will be heading that way soon from preston-ish towards lytham. Cycletravel may offer a good alternative.
Any cycle infrastructure on the A584 at all?
The A59 near clitheroe has long been dangerous even for folks in cars as it can feel like a motorway but is anything but and drivers can take risks overtaking. I avoid it whenever possible.
Sweep

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 17 Mar 2019, 2:04pm

Sweep wrote:Any cycle infrastructure on the A584 at all?

There is a shared path from preston upto the A584/583 junction, but from the traffic lights there is just a white line at the edge of the road all the way to Freckleton/Lytham.
There are some intermittent footpaths but otherwise the only way is to figure out a winding route through the lanes on the north side. :(
Last edited by cycleruk on 17 Mar 2019, 7:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 17 Mar 2019, 4:32pm

cycleruk wrote:
Sweep wrote:Any cycle infrastructure on the A584 at all?

There is a shared path frompreston upto the A584/583 junction, but from the traffic lights there is just a white line at the edge of the road all the way to Freckleton/Lytham.
There are some intermittent footpaths but otherwise the only way is to figure out a winding route through the lanes on the north side. :(

Thanks cyleruk - that is vaguely how I remember it from trips up that road by bus. Off to check the maps for it is a fast road and a white line is only so much use on roads like that.

cycle.travel here I come.
Sweep

pwa

Postby pwa » 17 Mar 2019, 5:15pm

I'm not sure the figures do tell you which bits of road are the most dangerous. The A6 is a very long road. If it was only averagely dangerous it might still have a higher total than most others because of its length. What you need is figures per kilometre, and even then you would be getting a not very useful amalgam of stretches of road with different risk levels, only useful if you intend cycling all of it. And the danger level of a road must be done by kilometres cycled. A road that sees a few fatalities but has few cyclists using it must be more dangerous than one that has the same number of fatalities with higher usage.