Komoot

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
crossy

Komoot

Postby crossy » 24 Mar 2019, 5:18pm

I downloaded Komoot a couple of weeks ago. I used it properly for the first time yesterday. I was riding a recumbent trike. The app lets you choose various methods of calculating routes. I chose racing bike to keep me on roads from Devizes to Frome. I had a coffee then rerouted back to Devizes using the touring setting. That took me on some different roads I wouldn’t have thought of. It was OK until it tried routing me along a canal path it would have been ok on a upright bike but the trike was too wide. So I told it to reroute using racing bike mode did really well. I tried using headphones for the voice directions but the wind noise was to loud for me to hear it. I use a bum bag when I’m on the trike so I ended up putting that across my body with the bag on my shoulder with the phone in next to my ear. I was using an old iPhone 5 I used a portable battery to top it up. The screen was off all the time. You can import gps routes from places I haven’t tried that yet. The map and route was downloaded to the phone and I had my data switched off obviously I put the data back on to do any rerouting. Overall i’m Impressed with it at the moment time will tell in the long run.
Thorn Raven 3speed E15, ICE Adventure E47, Brompton 6 E14, Peer Gynt E17, Van Nic Amazon E21, Total E53, Annual E31

thelawnet

Re: Komoot

Postby thelawnet » 26 Mar 2019, 12:29am

fwiw:

it works quite well but as you say it may use some off-road stuff which can vary between 'deep mud' and 'ok gravel'.

sometimes it sends you on murderous A-roads. You need to check.

the directions are fine, but it will often tell you 'turn left' when it's the same road just with a different name (no give way line). This is stupid and wrong. I think the source data (OSM) has some tags for this (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag ... road_stops), but whether it's the OSM that's at fault or Komoot I'm not sure.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 7 May 2020, 1:37pm

My Lezyne is now linking to Komoot as a way to make and send routes to the device so I’m investigating it. Tried it this morning on a route I use to the Co-oP. Pleased it actually routed me through a short cut I normally use in the town and also liked the simplicity of making and uploading.
The maps used on Komoot are OSM and yet they charge to get mapping for anything beyond your free area.
Does anyone here use Komoot a lot? What are the advantages, you see, of using it and paying for full use?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

couriertim

Postby couriertim » 7 Sep 2020, 10:38am

Am I missing something using Komoot? it would appear that it doesnt have on screen turn by turn instructions,
also in order to edit a route you have to sign up to premium?. I used a route yesterday suggested by Komoot
and it was great, initial impression is that it is less likely to route you along a busy road than cycle.travel
which i have also found fun to use.

crossy

Postby crossy » 7 Sep 2020, 3:54pm

When I use the voice turn instructions on my iPhone the iPhone screen is off to save battery but turn instructions pop up on the screen the same time I get voice instructions. I won’t let Komoot do a route for me if I can help it. I use a route planner to plan my route and send that to the iPhone. I’ve used Komoot to navigate around an Audax no problem using a gpx sent by the organiser.
Thorn Raven 3speed E15, ICE Adventure E47, Brompton 6 E14, Peer Gynt E17, Van Nic Amazon E21, Total E53, Annual E31

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 7 Sep 2020, 4:00pm

couriertim wrote:Am I missing something using Komoot? it would appear that it doesnt have on screen turn by turn instructions,
also in order to edit a route you have to sign up to premium?. I used a route yesterday suggested by Komoot
and it was great, initial impression is that it is less likely to route you along a busy road than cycle.travel
which i have also found fun to use.

If cycle.travel routes you along a busy road then let me know about it... I'd rather it didn't. :D
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

Syd

Postby Syd » 7 Sep 2020, 4:25pm

I used Komoot today to navigate round a hilly hike in a remote prt of the highlands of Scotland. The route was on their map but not on Google or Apple maps.

Or course I had an OS map and compass in case of issues but Komoot worked flawlessly.