Komoot

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Cyclo2022

Re: Komoot

Post by Cyclo2022 »

I think I will give the Premium version of Komoot a miss. The price doesn't really justify what you actually get!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The main selling points of paid-for Komoot, as far as I can tell, are the offline maps, turn-by-turn navigation, and different map types in the app.

*whistles innocently*
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

I paid a one-off £30 for the 'all the world' maps pack some time back, but don't have a Komoot subscription. I get turn by turn navigation in the app, and the ability to download maps for offline use.
I mostly use it because it's my favourite route editor of the few planning websites I've tried (although I need to try MapMyRide, as that looks pretty intuitive). Maybe that's just down to familiarity, though. I don't trust its route planning very much, so always edit the routes after they've been created. If I'm planning a route somewhere I'm not familiar with, my first choice is the cycle.travel website. I still tinker with the route after it's been created, just to meet my personal preferences, but it seems to create the best routes of all the sites I've tried.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 3 May 2022, 8:10am The main selling points of paid-for Komoot, as far as I can tell, are the offline maps, turn-by-turn navigation, and different map types in the app.

*whistles innocently*
:)
For the offline component I drop your own fine routes into a garmin and, for the bigger picture to lookm at at rests, OSMand on a tab. - I have a lifetime sub to it.
Sweep
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

Have just bought komoot, lifetime subscription for £19.99, which seems fair. Bit fiddly to make up a route on it, but once in it's good. It's giving me plenty of local based suggestions as well, which are on nice quiet routes.
Very much a new boy to this devil's work, but it's with the anticipation of a longer multi country tour next year that I'm dipping a toe into the water. Any 'mapping for serious dummies' pointers very gratefully received!
crossy

Post by crossy »

I usually use Cycle Travel to make a route down load the route to the pc then down load the route to Komoot to follow with it telling when to turn with the screen turned off. I’m not sure I would trust it to make a route for me. I have tried but it tried to send me on some busy roads.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
scragend

Post by scragend »

crossy wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 3:01pm I usually use Cycle Travel to make a route down load the route to the pc then down load the route to Komoot to follow with it telling when to turn with the screen turned off. I’m not sure I would trust it to make a route for me. I have tried but it tried to send me on some busy roads.
I used to do this.

I didn't want to be a slave to a "proper" head unit or phone with a map on the screen all the time, so I started to use the Komoot app on my phone with the screen off for the voice directions only. I found that it gave some unnecessary directions (it talked too much), and when it did give instructions it tended to give them a little bit too late.

I now have a Beeline, so it is something I need to look at rather than listen to, but it's only a simple arrow. I still use cycle.travel to make the route, then import it into Komoot, then export it as a GPX to the Beeline app. I don't really know why I need the Komoot step anymore - I could just download the GPX from cycle.travel - but it's just habit!
crossy

Post by crossy »

Your right Komoot tells me left or right turn for bends in the road.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

crossy wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 6:41am Your right Komoot tells me left or right turn for bends in the road.
cycle.travel does on occasions - normally where there is "something" but nothing you could turn at e.g. a narrow footpath. It's an occasional thing though.

Edit: Following Richard's response below, Garmin generate their own turn by turn directions whatever they are sent by cycle.travel. My comment above is from experience using cycle.travel to generate routes but getting directions from my Garmin device - so it's Garmin's turn-by-turn that are doing the occasional turn instructions on bends.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 14 Sep 2022, 8:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Getting the turn-by-turn instructions right is the bane of my life - every time I cycle in London using the c.t app I come home with a to-do list of awkward junctions to sort...

It's worth noting that if you send a cycle.travel (or Komoot, or whatever) route to Garmin Connect, then Garmin generate their turn-by-turn directions in - it doesn't use the ones calculated by the routing site. My experience is that Garmin Connect directions are particularly prone to the false turn issue.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 6:23pm Getting the turn-by-turn instructions right is the bane of my life - every time I cycle in London using the c.t app I come home with a to-do list of awkward junctions to sort...

It's worth noting that if you send a cycle.travel (or Komoot, or whatever) route to Garmin Connect, then Garmin generate their turn-by-turn directions in - it doesn't use the ones calculated by the routing site. My experience is that Garmin Connect directions are particularly prone to the false turn issue.
My comment above is in relation to the turn by turn directions presented on my Garmin. I only generate turn by turn on cycle.travel to get round the issue of it moving course points (c.t. via Points with a text note). I'll update my comment above to reflect this. I've never printed/saved/anything the c.t turn by turn - just what my Garmin tells me when the route is cycled.

Ian
lycrathug2

Post by lycrathug2 »

Hi all,
The app doesn't work anymore following a recent update.
Can't store offline maps, which makes it utterly pointless if going anywhere without 4g/5g etc.
Don't waste your money on it.
RickH

Post by RickH »

lycrathug2 wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 10:18pm Hi all,
The app doesn't work anymore following a recent update.
Can't store offline maps, which makes it utterly pointless if going anywhere without 4g/5g etc.
Don't waste your money on it.
Their website says you can store maps offline (link - https://www.komoot.com/features#navigate)
Kommot offline maps.png
I'm not a Komoot user so can't state the current situation definitively. I don't know if it is the case but, sometimes, features "migrate" from the free versions of apps to the paid for version over time. That can be a little annoying but developers do have expenses to cover & should not be forced to do things out of their own generosity.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.