The Bodmin Beast

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

The Bodmin Beast

Post by mercalia »

The Bodmin Beast?

Any one here seen it?

East of Bodmin

Finally, there are fears a panther or puma could be on the loose in the Cornish village of Harrowbarrow, according to the tabloids.

The Sun says a man was chased into his house by the beast, which has apparently attacked dogs and cats as well as leaving a five-inch paw print in the mud.

The Daily Star's headline suggests rumours about the animal are causing "Panther-monium".

nah its just Rees-Moog ( or what ever his name is )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: The Bodmin Beast

Post by Mick F »

Harrowbarrow ............ a couple of miles from here.
It's been seen there, and some cats and dogs have been mauled. Chickens and larger domestic fowl have disappeared.
Much discussion about if it's a puma or a leopard or whatever.

Some years ago, I was walking our elderly border collie up in our wood. He was deaf and couldn't see well, but fit and healthy otherwise.
I saw a big cat. It was huge it it were a domestic cat! Maybe 18" to 2ft tall, dark dull brown, and loped away through the bracken when it saw us. Rascal the dog, neither saw nor heard anything! :lol:

I only saw it for maybe a couple of seconds, but I know what I saw.

A quick Google brings these up.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-cat.html
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ts-2724289
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11102 ... rrowbarrow
Mick F. Cornwall
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Here in Central England I have seen a puma like creature. For fear of ridicule I mentioned it to no one but Mrs Dopestrong, but a little while later I discovered a old lady in the village reckons she had seen it, and then about a week later two fellows spotted it casually crossing the road about 2 miles away.

If it can happen here in the leafy bosom of middle England, then I'm pretty sure Bodmin is good for it too.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Quite plausible, large animals kept as pets or in zoos can escape, might survive a few years in the wild, might just be a large dog seen in the gloaming
Fortunately exotic animals would usually not find mates :wink:

Wolves are spreading across Germany, lots of people are afraid of them, the place is full of Wolf Experts with Opinions
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

If there really were big cats roaming the wild then one would have been caught on Streetview by now :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Lance Dopestrong

gaz wrote:If there really were big cats roaming the wild then one would have been caught on Streetview by now :wink: .

Cripes alive! :shock:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

gaz wrote:If there really were big cats roaming the wild then one would have been caught on Streetview by now :wink: .

Why? There's roads up this way that haven't had streetview down let alone catch a secretive large cat. Plus there's a few streets where the streetview drivers went past a van and missed a few houses off the images.

Still, there's a few on forums who will use streetview as evidence. Every "driver did bad" threads end up with streetview "proof". So why not as proof of no such thing as beasts of bodmin. Unless it's a strange individual cycling to every bridge/church/chippy in Cornwall who goes by the name of mick. :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

The newspapers have been reporting large cats on the loose in various places since I was a boy, but I don't remember anyone ever finding a dead one.
Lance Dopestrong

Dead big cats have been found in the UK, usually very decomposed so difficult to make informed judgements about their origin.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:The newspapers have been reporting large cats on the loose in various places since I was a boy, but I don't remember anyone ever finding a dead one.

When you think of how many at any given time(a very few I should imagine)wandering freely,I should imagine the chances of find a dead one pretty slim.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mmmm well, happens every year, next it will be old Nessie.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003f4f
"Walks Of Life"
On the link it says Religious Series :?
Anyway it was on Dartmoor so I watched it, what a load of tripe.
Hairy hands - Some mention of a Beast IIRC - Dangerous place - bogs that will swallow a grown man etc etc.
It was more about a handful of individuals and their businesses, which is typical of the BBC looking after their mates.
Despite being warned about how dangerous it was and he'd better keep to the paths and tracks he was off again with no visible forms of navigation, not that where he was he would of got lost anyway.
Goes to Fox Tor Mire but did not bother to visits childs tomb, I suppose that the land owner was not religious.
That area surrounding nuns cross farm and burrator tor has the highest concentration of artefact's but the program makers chose to show the presenter JB Gill? riding a quad, ok there was a monk a church a scientist and a photographer even a large monolith.
Oh well its the BBC...........Studios I believe......
I am a bit biased as I know the moor well but don't meet the people who are paid to appear on the program with their tales of lore :)
Some might find it interesting.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not heard anyone talking about this "beast", and I'm now thinking that it was an April Fool that carried on beyond 1st April.
Mick F. Cornwall
Lance Dopestrong

Mick F wrote:Not heard anyone talking about this "beast", and I'm now thinking that it was an April Fool that carried on beyond 1st April.

I'm not so sure. It was in The Sun after all. And sources don't get more authoritative than that.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think the Bodmin Beasts are giant Hedgehogs. Seems like the Ministry of Transport thinks so also
Giant Hedgehogs!
Giant Hedgehogs!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I believe the Surrey Puma is still at large - as it has been for the past 60 years. Must be getting on a bit in years, now...

This article is somewhat related to the topic...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).