Hidden message(s) on Open Street Map

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
steady eddy

Re: Hidden message(s) on Open Street Map

Postby steady eddy » 17 May 2019, 5:03pm

The 1;25000 os map of the area around Leiston has a "place" on it called "Fiscal Policy". Some map makers idea of a joke I guess.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 26 May 2019, 8:24am

AndyK wrote:
horizon wrote:But surely it's doing a bit more than that in that the "graffiti" doesn't appear on OSM, only on OCM? Unless of course you are able to edit OCM as well/separately and someone has taken the opportunity to do that.

Well... interesting, that. The dodgy location we're talking about was marked as a cafe, so it should have appeared on both OSM and OCM. OCM tends to make cafes very prominent on the map (along with bike shops and pubs, of course), so you will see cafes appearing on OCM when zoomed out, but have to zoom in closer before they become visible on the standard OSM view.

However the cafe's name included a four-letter word beginning with 'c' which I won't reproduce here as it's against forum rules.

When I went in to edit it, the cafe name was already flagged with a "profanity" tag. This flagging is done by an automated process which trawls through the OSM database looking for naughty words in location names and flagging them like this. It doesn't remove them, it just puts this tag on them. A developer creating their own map based on the OSM database can decide whether to take any notice of it or not.

So, it may be that the "standard" OSM view chooses to filter out any name flagged as containing a profanity, while the cycle map view (or OpenCycleMap) is a bit looser with its censorship.

There's an obvious way to test this but I'm not going to. :D

[Edited to make more sense...]

Is the profanity flag editable?

If so you make a “test” cafe, and flag it as a profanity (without using one)...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

AndyK

Postby AndyK » 26 May 2019, 2:01pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Is the profanity flag editable?

If so you make a “test” cafe, and flag it as a profanity (without using one)...

Oh yes, that's certainly possible, but I'd feel a little guilty about creating bogus information in the OSM database just to satisfy my idle curiosity. It would have to stay there for days or evenweeks to see how it propagated through to the various OSM renderings.