Best first bike under £1000

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
martins74

Best first bike under £1000

Postby martins74 » 15 May 2019, 8:22am

Good morning everyone

I am new to cycling and I’m going to be taking advantage of the cycle to work scheme. Please could anyone advise what is the best road bike to get that is under £1000?

Many thanks

Cugel

Re: Best first bike under £1000

Postby Cugel » 15 May 2019, 8:36am

martins74 wrote:Good morning everyone

I am new to cycling and I’m going to be taking advantage of the cycle to work scheme. Please could anyone advise what is the best road bike to get that is under £1000?

Many thanks

The one you like best, of course.

Seriously, there are dozens and dozens of such bikes. You'll need to understand your detailed cycling wants and needs before anyone could say what might be "best" for you. On top of that, there's the whole fashion thing, as many care about their bike's label, colour, shape and so forth. And many don't. Then there's the issue of how you want to buy it - via a local bike shop (convenient for testing, changing, fixing if wrong) or via an internet purchase (you need to be able to configure some parts of the package yourself and handle any mechanical issues it might have).

You may get replies from members who know of various bikes, either from experience or adverts. They might recommend one and even offer reasons. But you still have to know what YOU want and why.

Cugel

peetee

Postby peetee » 15 May 2019, 8:50am

+1 to all the above.
If cycling as your main form of exercise is new to you then whatever feels right at the start may not stay that way.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

pwa

Postby pwa » 15 May 2019, 8:51am

How fit are you? How much cycling have you done before? How hilly is your likely route to work? How far is it? What other things would you like to try on your bike? The answers to all these questions have a bearing on deciding what the best bike for you will be.

If you really don't have any ideas about cycling it is likely that the bike most suited to you will be labelled a "hybrid". But whatever bike you get, don't just buy online without sitting on it first. You have to make sure it fits you.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 15 May 2019, 9:47am

pwa wrote:How fit are you? How much cycling have you done before? How hilly is your likely route to work? How far is it? What other things would you like to try on your bike? The answers to all these questions have a bearing on deciding what the best bike for you will be.

If you really don't have any ideas about cycling it is likely that the bike most suited to you will be labelled a "hybrid". But whatever bike you get, don't just buy online without sitting on it first. You have to make sure it fits you.

Also consider what do you need to carry; do you need panniers to help carry work stuff / lunch. Consider you will need to carry some other clothes; waterproof, extra layer for warmth or removed extra layer when it gets warmer.....plus spare inner tube and the means to deal with the p fairy when she strikes. Also consider ability to fit mudguards, even if it is not raining protection from wet road surfaces is still very worthwhile if you do not want the dreaded wet oily stripe up the back of your work clothes and sitting around in wet trousers.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 May 2019, 12:00pm

pwa's questions are good ones. Also (and this might seem a daft question) what are you going to use the bike for, exactly? Are you going to stick to tarmac, or use bridlepaths/towpaths? Do you think you will want dropped handlebars or flat bars?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 15 May 2019, 10:40pm

martins74 wrote:Good morning everyone

Many thanks

'Road bike' is quite a specific thing, it's what used to be referred to as a 'racing' bike or a 'racer' back in the day. If that's actually what you mean and want there is plenty of choice for £1000 and we can advise you further. If you mean 'a bike that will be used on the road' then all the questions that have been asked are important to ascertain what type of bike would suit you best before we can start advising you of good examples of type.

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 16 May 2019, 11:34am

If you're doing it on the cycle to work scheme that implies you're going to use it for commuting, when you say road bike do you specifically mean you want a drop bar bike as quite a high percentage prefer a more upright position if there's lots of traffic around and go for hybrids instead.

If you're set on a drop bar, with the state of the roads nowadays there's a trend towards gravel bikes as they can take wider tyres which deal with bumps and potholes considerably better than racing bike tyres and most will take mudguards and a rack if you wanted to fit one for lugging stuff into work.

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 16 May 2019, 5:59pm

Buy a cheap cheap second hand bike. When you've been cycling for a few months you will know better what you are looking for.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 16 May 2019, 6:04pm

OP may return, I'm sure, and help us to help.

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 17 May 2019, 8:09pm

If you're doing it on the cycle to work scheme that implies you're going to use it for commuting

I'm not so sure. Lots of people use the cycle to work scheme to get a nice bike at a discount - like my son and his mates