SPD Touring Shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandusud
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Mar 2018, 1:35pm

SPD Touring Shoes

Postby iandusud » 17 May 2019, 9:31am

I need to replace my current touring shoes, ie ones I can walk in and that look "normal'. I've spotted these DHB one from Wiggle and wondered if anyone here has tried them?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe/

Cheers, Ian

User avatar
deliquium
Posts: 2042
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 3:40pm
Location: Eryri

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby deliquium » 17 May 2019, 9:47am

Not tired the DHB ones, so apologies if this reply isn't relevant :oops:

But I would have if I'd seen them before I bought a pair of Shimano RT5s a week or so ago

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s154p36 ... uring-Shoe

If you're a size 42 (as in real sizing unlike some other brands) I have a pair of these which match your requirements and have had good feedback on the is forum in past years.

They are new and unworn and come with new unused Shimano SH-51 SPD cleats - which I hadn't got around to advertising yet

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s154p33 ... vio-SP-705
Image Attachments
Exustar.jpg
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"

iandusud
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Mar 2018, 1:35pm

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby iandusud » 17 May 2019, 10:49am

Thanks for the offer but I take a size 45. Out of interest what are your thoughts on those shoes?

Ian

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 44883
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby Mick F » 17 May 2019, 11:08am

I have a pair.
Seem ok to me. A bit boring to look at, but ok. Pity they only come in plain black.
I bought mine from Spa Cycles.
Mick F. Cornwall

pwa
Posts: 9332
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby pwa » 17 May 2019, 11:10am

Mick F wrote:I have a pair.
Seem ok to me. A bit boring to look at, but ok. Pity they only come in plain black.
I bought mine from Spa Cycles.

How stiff are the soles, Mick?

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 1709
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby Cugel » 17 May 2019, 11:34am

iandusud wrote:I need to replace my current touring shoes, ie ones I can walk in and that look "normal'. I've spotted these DHB one from Wiggle and wondered if anyone here has tried them?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe/

Cheers, Ian


Yes, I have three pairs of those. one white & two black. Size 45 is perfek for summer socks and 46 for winter socks of the waterproof type or thick wool type.

The laces give a good close and adapts-to-the-foot fit over one's foot arch so even though there's a good bit of wriggle-room in the toe box, your feet don't slide forward in the shoe. They have built-in lace-capture elastics.

The soles are stiff enough for heavy pedaling efforts but you can still walk about in them. The sole doen't flex much but just enough to stop you doing a clown-walk. You wouldn't want to walk miles in them though. The sole has deep and wide-gap tread, which keeps the cleat from scratching floors but can trap large lumps of sharp gravel between the treads. Careful on your wooden floors if you've walked over a gravelly entrance to the cafe!

They seem quite resilient to the knocks and scrapes. Mine still look newish after a few thousand miles on two pairs (summer & winter - I got a third pair at the sale price for the future). They don't lose their shape if they get wet. The insole is comfortable, even on my slightly flat feet.

They seem just as functionally-good as posh makes costing 3 -5X the price, frankly.

Cugel

User avatar
pjclinch
Posts: 3547
Joined: 29 Oct 2007, 2:32pm
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Contact:

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby pjclinch » 17 May 2019, 11:40am

For some values of "normal", but as someone who tends to live in sandals 6 months of the year I use Shimano SPuD sandals for touring. Since the upper is somewhat minimal the fact that I generally find Shimano shoes far too narrow isn't an issue.

Current model seems to be the SD5.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 44883
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby Mick F » 17 May 2019, 11:44am

pwa wrote:
Mick F wrote:I have a pair.
Seem ok to me. A bit boring to look at, but ok. Pity they only come in plain black.
I bought mine from Spa Cycles.

How stiff are the soles, Mick?

They don't bend and flex if that's what you mean. The soles aren't hard, but nice rubber so they are comfortable to walk in, but I wouldn't like to wear them to go for a long walk.

Here's a shot of the underside. I use Speedplay Frog pedals.
IMG_0237.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

iandusud
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Mar 2018, 1:35pm

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby iandusud » 17 May 2019, 11:47am

Cugel wrote:
iandusud wrote:I need to replace my current touring shoes, ie ones I can walk in and that look "normal'. I've spotted these DHB one from Wiggle and wondered if anyone here has tried them?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe/

Cheers, Ian


Yes, I have three pairs of those. one white & two black. Size 45 is perfek for summer socks and 46 for winter socks of the waterproof type or thick wool type.

The laces give a good close and adapts-to-the-foot fit over one's foot arch so even though there's a good bit of wriggle-room in the toe box, your feet don't slide forward in the shoe. They have built-in lace-capture elastics.

The soles are stiff enough for heavy pedaling efforts but you can still walk about in them. The sole doen't flex much but just enough to stop you doing a clown-walk. You wouldn't want to walk miles in them though. The sole has deep and wide-gap tread, which keeps the cleat from scratching floors but can trap large lumps of sharp gravel between the treads. Careful on your wooden floors if you've walked over a gravelly entrance to the cafe!

They seem quite resilient to the knocks and scrapes. Mine still look newish after a few thousand miles on two pairs (summer & winter - I got a third pair at the sale price for the future). They don't lose their shape if they get wet. The insole is comfortable, even on my slightly flat feet.

They seem just as functionally-good as posh makes costing 3 -5X the price, frankly.

Cugel


Very helpful. Thank you. I'll order a pair.

Cheers, Ian

CliveyT
Posts: 267
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 2:55pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby CliveyT » 17 May 2019, 12:18pm

pjclinch wrote:For some values of "normal", but as someone who tends to live in sandals 6 months of the year I use Shimano SPuD sandals for touring. Since the upper is somewhat minimal the fact that I generally find Shimano shoes far too narrow isn't an issue.

Current model seems to be the SD5.

Pete.

That's good to know, I've always steered away from these because I've never found a Shimano shoe that fits me (I'm normally 47/48). The Exustar sandals fit me fine, but they're a bit more enclosed than I would like.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 44883
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby Mick F » 17 May 2019, 12:37pm

CliveyT wrote: The Exustar sandals fit me fine, but they're a bit more enclosed than I would like.
I don't like sandals to be too enclosed either, so I bought Shimano.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... prod164561
Mick F. Cornwall

gxaustin
Posts: 449
Joined: 23 Sep 2015, 12:07pm

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby gxaustin » 17 May 2019, 5:50pm

I've been using Shimano RT82 for the last 3 years. They have two velcro and one ratchet fastener.
I am a nine (43) but find 91/2 (44) fits best. They are. good for walking to the cafe or around a garden, say but don't look chunky. They are well ventilated

Seems these were discontinued a few months ago. Shame.

Colgrenfell
Posts: 23
Joined: 13 Aug 2015, 11:17pm

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby Colgrenfell » 18 May 2019, 5:29pm

big fan of these:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-rumble-vr-off-road-shoe/

especially the blue ones - great on tour and look 'normal' -super comfy too

mercalia
Posts: 10131
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby mercalia » 18 May 2019, 5:46pm

Mick F wrote:
pwa wrote:
Mick F wrote:I have a pair.
Seem ok to me. A bit boring to look at, but ok. Pity they only come in plain black.
I bought mine from Spa Cycles.

How stiff are the soles, Mick?

They don't bend and flex if that's what you mean. The soles aren't hard, but nice rubber so they are comfortable to walk in, but I wouldn't like to wear them to go for a long walk.

Here's a shot of the underside. I use Speedplay Frog pedals.IMG_0237.jpg


The only issue with the EXUSTAR Stelvio SP 705 is the toe area at the knuckle area over the big toe. There is stitching there where the toe section is attached to the shoe body and is inflexible and can chafe the big toe knuckle The shoe is also a narrow fit

User avatar
freiston
Posts: 612
Joined: 6 Oct 2013, 10:20am

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Postby freiston » 19 May 2019, 7:18pm

Colgrenfell wrote:big fan of these:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-rumble-vr-off-road-shoe/

especially the blue ones - great on tour and look 'normal' -super comfy too

A bloke I sometimes ride with has a pair of these and they look really good and not obviously bike/SPD shoes at all. I would love a pair but can't justify spending any more money on footwear.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)