Bicycle versus motorbike luggage capacity?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Bicycle versus motorbike luggage capacity?

Post by horizon »

Just wondered how a motorbike compares with a loaded touring bike in terms of how much they can carry. I've actually no idea myself but have often seen motorbikes at campsites.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
tatanab

Re: Bicycle versus motorbike luggage capacity?

Post by tatanab »

Large panniers - 45L each side.
Top box - 30L
Tank bag - 16L
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

At Oban earlier this year
Me ...bicycle 2 panniers tent and bar bag. 1 person
Next to me... motorbike 2 panniers and top box. Tent and everything else but for 2 people.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

On a camping holiday in France, many years ago, on a Honda CX500, I had a set of throw over panniers across the tank, with a tank bag on top of that. A large set of panniers over the pillion seat and a large (army) duffel bag on the rear carrier. Two people, good size tent, air beds, sleeping bags and cooking gear along with clothes for 3 weeks. Jobs's a good 'un and I didn't have to pedal up hill. :)

Max load on my tourer - Altura Orkney small panniers on the front, large on the rear. A bar bag and a smaller duffel on the rear. 2 person tent, self inflating mat, sleeping bag, clothes and cooking gear. Enough space to carry plenty of food, waterproofs and a spare set of riding gear. Pedalling up the hills - :)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Room for one. :wink:
(3 man tent.)
loaded.jpg

Vtwin.JPG
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Trailer?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cycleruk wrote:Room for one. :wink:
(3 man tent.)
loaded.jpg
Vtwin.JPG

Ah, Mandello del Lario's finest "trattore a due ruote" :wink:

(I've had several myself BTW)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horizon

Post by horizon »

Do I take it that you can carry twice as much on a motorbike but that also involves one extra person so a motorbike with two people and all their gear would approximately equal two people on separate bicycles with all their gear?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

horizon wrote:Do I take it that you can carry twice as much on a motorbike but that also involves one extra person so a motorbike with two people and all their gear would approximately equal two people on separate bicycles with all their gear?
Possibly, unless they are sharing a tent. If sharing, then extra kit amounts to a sleeping bag, a mat and some clothes, which if travelling light amounts to about 20L. Something to remember about motorcycle camping is that tents tend to be larger than for cycle camping, partly because they can carry it and partly because leathers are bulky and unwieldy for storing when not wearing them. For a long weekend away (staying with friends, not camping) I have used just a tank bag (about 16L) therefore comparable with a medium sized saddlebag - but as a cyclist I am used to travelling low bulk. When cycle camping all of my baggage space amounts about 45L which includes a tent.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'd look at it slightly differently: you can carry twice as much luggage and if you want you can also carry a second person. Bear in mind that the pillion and potentially rider too can also carry a backpack (much easier than when cycling) which would further increase capacity.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

You carry roughly the same on a motorbike vs a touring bike, but you don't need to go the ultra light route.
So something like a tent on the motorbike will probably be twice as heavy and pack in 50% more volume but only cost about a quarter of the price.
Or if it costs the same it will have twice the space inside.
You're willing to carry jeans and not ultra light weight slacks
So alterations like that will add volume/weight without increasing the number of items carried.

YMMV ....... :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Doesn't carrying more still hurt performance and fuel consumption even if the two wheeler is powered? So is it worth it?

I've taken ideas from motorcycle tourers, notably the tail roll, which doesn't seem popular among cyclists for some reason.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

So just to clarify this again (though lots of helpful info), a cyclist can carry:

55 litres in a large pair of rear panniers
5 litres in the form of a tent
20 litres in a pair of front panniers
2 litres in a bar bag
2 litres in bottle cages

TOTAL: 84 litres x 2 cyclists = 168 litres

(Significantly, I've estimated this in litres as I'm presuming that it is volume not weight that is important on a motorbike.)

So the motorbike will now have to carry two people and 168 litres to match the two bicycles. Could it carry more?

NB I'm happy to change any of these figures. BTW, I'm assuming that 1 litre of bicycle luggage weighs approximately .5 kg.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Once the panneris are one the back you have a very large surface to bunngy things onto?

Also not just bulk but weight. I have an old Conquest Polycotton/canva tent that beats any of your plastic silly things but is so heavy. When I was younger I once lugged it on my cycle, never again. No problem on my m/c

m/c camping is luxury camping compared to cycles
horizon

Post by horizon »

mercalia wrote:
m/c camping is luxury camping compared to cycles

If we express luxury in terms of kg and litres, can you give me the maximum kg and/or litres that a reasonable motorbike can reasonably carry with two people on board (I've never had a motorbike so I've really no idea).