Bicycle versus motorbike luggage capacity?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Bicycle versus motorbike luggage capacity?

Post by pete75 »

Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 12:48pm A motorcycle can carry more holds true if you can fit panniers to the motorcycle but the reverse is true if you can't fit panniers.

I demonstrated this vividly this year. Everything had to go on the rear rack, passenger seat and backpack.

It's a classic two stroke so couldn't risk damaging paint on the tank or side panels cos the things are so incredibly rare and hard to get in good condition now.
What sort?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Classic two stroke nowadays could be anything from an Edwardian curiosity to a Suzuki Gamma...
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pete75 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 2:15pm
Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 12:48pm A motorcycle can carry more holds true if you can fit panniers to the motorcycle but the reverse is true if you can't fit panniers.

I demonstrated this vividly this year. Everything had to go on the rear rack, passenger seat and backpack.

It's a classic two stroke so couldn't risk damaging paint on the tank or side panels cos the things are so incredibly rare and hard to get in good condition now.
What sort?
Last edited by Cowsham on 9 Jan 2023, 8:36am, edited 4 times in total.
I am here. Where are you?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

A week away on my motorcycle saw me carrying a lot more than I did on the bike but this maybe because I didn't have a weight concern. My m/c wasn't some big touring bike but a 230cc trail bike with home made rack for the panniers with a tubular holdall across them plus a small tank bag and a day sack for bits and pieces. More activities were planned so I rode the m/c in high laced leather boots which did for hill walking and took trainers for dry or light weight days. Decent waterproofs which are heavier and more complect that cycling ones. Petrol stove. Spare pair of jean . Get the picture?
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

Re pic of loaded TDM... I don't know exactly what that orange and white plastic folding thing is (KTM podium perhaps?), but I bet you don't take it cycle touring.

We do both, too. I'm not an experienced motorcyclist so my 125cc days are still remembered. And even that was *relatively* unaffected by luggage you'd really notice on a bicycle. That's on road. Off-road maybe more so, but even a small trail bike is over 100Kg, isn't it? I mean one you'd tour on, not a primadonna rebuild-a-week competition bike.

On motos we do take a heavier tent, 6Kg versus 3Kg. The only other extra weight is part of the motorcycling really, the luggage is heavy, the clothing is heavy and very hard to dry. The toolkit is heavy (adjusting the chain involves about 100Nm nut, that's not a palm sized tool).

I didn't realise until I did (?), but topboxes are often more or less empty, as the helmet(s) go in when parked. High up and aft of the axle, not a good place for much weight while rolling.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I am here. Where are you?