Bicycle versus motorbike luggage capacity?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tatanab

Re: Bicycle versus motorbike luggage capacity?

Post by tatanab »

horizon wrote: can you give me the maximum kg and/or litres that a reasonable motorbike can reasonably carry with two people on board.

As in my first post - a pair of panniers 90L, top box, 30L, tank bag 16L = 136L. Or ditch the top box and put a mountain of stuff up there.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There is no comparison because one has an engine and the other is the engine that is the major criteria.
We've toured multi week trips on the tandem though not camping,and got everything in two 44l rear panniers a rack top bag and a bar bag.
On a motorcycle weight isn't a problem unless the m/cycle is a lightweight <350cc
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

My husband and I used to camp with a lightweight tandem - two panniers on the rear carrier plus (canvas) tent and sleeping mats, etc. bungied on top, plus a bar bag in front. That was all - no front panniers. I have to say that it wasn't very comfortable sleeping on hard ground with closed-cell mats but we survived, once cycle-camping from Rotterdam through the Netherlands and north Germany to Copenhagen, then west across Denmark to the ferry at Esbjerg. Unfortunately we didn't have room for the camera so don't have any photos.

I sometimes think folk take just too much stuff. I have met people with large panniers front and back plus stuff on top of the rear and a barbag, when they've only been doing a week's B&B. Maybe they're packing dress suits...
horizon

Post by horizon »

tatanab wrote:
horizon wrote: can you give me the maximum kg and/or litres that a reasonable motorbike can reasonably carry with two people on board.

As in my first post - a pair of panniers 90L, top box, 30L, tank bag 16L = 136L. Or ditch the top box and put a mountain of stuff up there.

Oops! Sorry tatanab, I had read it of course but then blanked it out. But does that mean in volume terms (I note reohn's point about weight) that two cyclists can carry more than one motorbike?

PS In case anyone is wondering, I'm not out to make a point here. It's just that I've noticed on some campsites that motorcyclists don't seem to have much more than I do and I wondered if this was due to choice or necessity.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

horizon wrote:I've noticed on some campsites that motorcyclists don't seem to have much more than I do and I wondered if this was due to choice or necessity.
That will be through choice. There must surely be lightweight campers in the motorcycle world as well. It is the same as cycling - all my kit for up to a month amounts to about 45L in volume and 16kg weight. Contrast that with the extremely light weight set ups or with those people who need front and rear panniers, rack top bag and a bar bag to go out for a weekend.
jerg

Post by jerg »

cycleruk wrote:Room for one. :wink:
(3 man tent.)
loaded.jpg
Vtwin.JPG

The good old V twin rally (actually not that old as this would have been after the move from Shaftesbury). :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

everything is relative of course but too much weight on a motorbike does tend to upset the handling; if you are used to riding solo and you suddenly have a pillion plus luggage, a normally fine-handling motorbike can suddenly turn pretty evil. Thus you often don't find motorcyclists carrying any more than they need to.

For those who want to 'carry everything' with them there are motorbikes meant for the purpose such as the Honda Gold Wing; these heavy (you have no chance to pick it up again if it falls over, not without lots of helpers anyway) bikes have an engine as large as in most cars, reverse gear (so you don't struggle against the road camber when getting the bike out from where it is parked etc) have stereo systems that turn the whole shooting match into a mobile ghetto blaster, armchair seating, and can even be fitted with a trailer.

At some point one has to ask 'is it really motorcycling any more?'

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I used to own a BMW K75 with a Watsonian Palma Sidecar adult and child complete with Towbar and trailer. We used it go family camping, don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it. I did consider a pod caravan but when Child number 3 came along, I gave up and bought a bus.
NUKe

Post by Brucey »

not knocking it so much as wondering how it compares. It puts me in mind of the old joke:

Q. How do you tell a happy motorcyclist?

A. You can see the flies in his teeth.

No mention of the number of wheels involved... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Last edited by thelawnet on 7 Jun 2019, 5:53pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

horizon wrote:
tatanab wrote:

Oops! Sorry tatanab, I had read it of course but then blanked it out. But does that mean in volume terms (I note reohn's point about weight) that two cyclists can carry more than one motorbike?

PS In case anyone is wondering, I'm not out to make a point here. It's just that I've noticed on some campsites that motorcyclists don't seem to have much more than I do and I wondered if this was due to choice or necessity.

There was I thinking what an earth is the point of your thread if you do not or don't intend getting a motorbike and touring on it. Do you even have a full bike license? You still have to travel light when touring by motorbike. Just like cycle touring if you pack everything including the kitchen sink and microwave you WILL pay for it. And it depends on what type of bike you have - a sports bike definitely not a luggage lugger so perhaps stay in hotels or a full on adventure bike like a BMW 1250GS with all the camping and cooking gear as if cycle touring. If you are planning to motorcycle tour 2 up with all the luggage you WILL definitely need a bigger more powerful bike. It's not rocket science. I would say at least a 1000cc bike. A loaded motorcycle whether one up or two up is HEAVY. Most adventure bikes like a BMW GS or Triumph Tiger 1200 weigh the thick end of 240kgs before you put anything on them including yourself. I think you can probably carry a little more on a motorcycle although weight is important it's not so critical, but it depends on the type of bike you ride and how you ride. You are not going to be getting your knee down in a fully laden touring bike with the missus on the back! If you were riding off road then you may have something lighter like a 300/500/700cc Enduro bike carrying minimal luggage like for instance if your were bike packing. Tbh I prefer cycle touring it's so much simpler and more rewarding simply because you are travelling under your own steam at your own pace.

On balance I would say there is not much in it in the amount you can carry. But then there are so many variables with each type of transport, peoples requirements and ideas of travelling light or slumming it. Weight is less critical on a motorbike but too much can still be a problem. If you carry too much cycling it is going to make for a miserable ride.
Last edited by Ivor Tingting on 7 Jun 2019, 5:57pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The first and more so the second are dodgy due to limited visibility, the others are sensible use of resources. :D
F70100

Post by F70100 »

My motorbike has 2 panniers of 20 litres each and a top box of 45 litres. More importantly, the manufacturer specifies 10kgs maximum for the panniers and 15kgs maximum for the top box. Having the top box fitted (even if empty) invokes a manufacturer recommended maximum speed of 120mph to maintain stability (relevant on the autobahn...)

The maximum permitted maximum weight is 495kgs, and the bike alone is about 225kgs. If you have 35 kgs in the luggage, and a rider weight of 100 kgs, you can carry another 135 kgs if you can find somewhere to secure it :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A motorcycle can carry more holds true if you can fit panniers to the motorcycle but the reverse is true if you can't fit panniers.

I demonstrated this vividly this year. Everything had to go on the rear rack, passenger seat and backpack.

It's a classic two stroke so couldn't risk damaging paint on the tank or side panels cos the things are so incredibly rare and hard to get in good condition now.
I am here. Where are you?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote: 7 Jun 2019, 9:39am Doesn't carrying more still hurt performance and fuel consumption even if the two wheeler is powered? So is it worth it?

I've taken ideas from motorcycle tourers, notably the tail roll, which doesn't seem popular among cyclists for some reason.
My BMW R1200GS would carry a massive amount of luggage on a camping trip. Even going up Rosedale Chimney the extra weight didn't seem to trouble it's 125 BHP engine at all. By modern standards that's low powered - BMW's top touring bike has a 1600cc engine developing about 160BHP and 175nM torque.

Makes no noticeable difference to fuel consumption - over about 20mph overcoming wind resistance is what burns the most fuel.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker