What's the biggest waste of money possible on a bike part?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Manc33

Re: What's the biggest waste of money possible on a bike part?

Post by Manc33 »

Nearholmer wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 8:45amFine if you are a professional trying to win a race that might increase your earnings significantly. Otherwise? A way of burning money that you can’t think of anything better to do with.
It's also a great way to make yourself more uncomfortable.

All I care about on my bike is comfort. If I'm going 11 MPH instead of 15 MPH then so be it.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Audax67 wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 9:52am An "aero" seatpost. The gain over a cylindrical one is tiny and you can't clamp a bleeding thing to it. Of course, this cuts out, I dunno, 75% of current road bikes. Good riddance.
The Campagnolo ones were very elegant though, has to be said.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 2:22pm Aero seatpost?

I have, on my Mercian, and have done since I bought the frame in 1986, a Campag Victory seatPIN.
Note the old expression was "seatpin" as they are much shorter than a "post".
Seatpin.jpg
ISTR there was yet another term for them but I can't get my hippocampus to come up with it.

My 1999 MBK had one. Still would have, if I felt like rebuilding it, but I don't: very stiff alu frame, not very comfy.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Has anyone put forward Di2 etc. If not, I will.
Probably these least cost effective upgrade there is IMO. It doesn't actually offer very much ; no increased speed, no increased comfort and no reduced weight.
Yes, its a nice techy thing to have and it might reduce hassle for some people. But overall its terrible value for money.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Jules59 wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 8:37am Has anyone put forward Di2 etc. If not, I will.
Probably these least cost effective upgrade there is IMO. It doesn't actually offer very much ; no increased speed, no increased comfort and no reduced weight.
Yes, its a nice techy thing to have and it might reduce hassle for some people. But overall its terrible value for money.
Oh, I dunno. The maintenance job I hate most is running new cable housing and cable under the bar tape every so often, then all the faff of adjusting the gears. It reminds me of adjusting the rocker arms on our old Citroën Dyane: the workshop manual read "it is not entirely necessary to remove the wings but it makes the job a lot easier". If I could get away with just running an electric cable once then a happy man would I be.

---o0o---

Returning to the aero seatsaddlepostpin like a sinner to its vomit, the acme of superfluity has to be one of those idiotic things on an electric bike. But they exist.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A brand new M7000 11 speed cassette at £70 when I really only really needed the smallest sprocket at £10. ( New chain skipping )
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 7:49am
Mick F wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 2:22pm Aero seatpost?

I have, on my Mercian, and have done since I bought the frame in 1986, a Campag Victory seatPIN.
Note the old expression was "seatpin" as they are much shorter than a "post".
Seatpin.jpg
ISTR there was yet another term for them but I can't get my hippocampus to come up with it.
"Seat pillar" and "seat mast" were used, but I don't think particularly for small varieties.

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 10:29am "seat mast"
That is comparatively recent, meaning probably within the last 25 years. A seat mast is the extension that is part of the frame with the saddle perched on top of cap. https://roadbikeaction.com/ask-r-c-what ... eat-masts/
seatpst.jpg
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Anything "carbon" unless you are a professional racer and have a mechanic looking after your bike for you.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Oh, I dunno. The maintenance job I hate most is running new cable housing and cable under the bar tape every so often, then all the faff of adjusting the gears. It reminds me of adjusting the rocker arms on our old Citroën Dyane: the workshop manual read "it is not entirely necessary to remove the wings but it makes the job a lot easier". If I could get away with just running an electric cable once then a happy man would I be.
:lol: :lol:
You do have a point.
---o0o---

Returning to the aero seatsaddlepostpin like a sinner to its vomit, the acme of superfluity has to be one of those idiotic things on an electric bike. But they exist.
[/quote]
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jules59 wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 8:37am Has anyone put forward Di2 etc. If not, I will.

I always thought I'll buy Di2 when the prices come down a bit and replace the sti levers on my 105 cos I think sti's are the work of the devil which ever way you contract them. Hands should be ready to squeeze brakes not flapping the brake lever off to the side.

A press of a button for up and down with automatic chainring shift to prevent cross chaining. What's not to like?
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I'd love to have Di2. I'd never see it as one of the biggest wastes of money, but it is too expensive to justify for the average cyclist.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

It's only a matter of time before the Chinese knock out a cheap(ish) consumer knock off. Which will likely be a game changer. The big three have absolutely no desire to dumb down their top end electronic price premium, if anything its going the other way!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Dingdong wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 5:46am It's only a matter of time before the Chinese knock out a cheap(ish) consumer knock off. Which will likely be a game changer. The big three have absolutely no desire to dumb down their top end electronic price premium, if anything its going the other way!
I'd be a buyer. I've got an XTU Maxpro action camera and it's near as good as a hero 8 but a 3rd of the price -- has some other advantages over a gopro as well.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Spinaci handlebar extensions... Absolutely useless!
Attachments
1.jpg