The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 11:43am I can't help feeling Harry wants maximum publicity on his terms and privacy otherwise. That's not how it works.
I agree. He's a complex character, seemingly worldly yet at the same time very naïve.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 8:59am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 11:09am
Pebble wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 10:54pm She's not even black, she appears to be as white as I am, I doubt she has even the foggiest idea what true racism is, it just seems a convenient bandwagon shes jumped on and profits out of. A more loathsome couple I can't imagine.
The extreme hatred these people inspire is quite remarkable - far more remarkable than anything they've said or done.
To some extent they are bringing it on themselves now by raking it over and over. It is more than a grievance to them. It is their chosen profession, the career path they have taken to fund their plush lifestyle. Most families deal with arguments in house, but Meghan and Harry do it miked up, in front of cameras. For money. That isn't endearing.
Oh, sure.

But the bizarre extreme hatred of Meghan, as evidence upthread, long predates their decision to milk the Royals for cash.

On their current milking of the cash cow, good luck to them I say. Bothers me a lot less than having to put up with unelected aristos representing our country 😉
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's been regularly noted on this thread that our constitutional monarchy is an anachronism. But it survives, and one reason is that a lot of people benefit from the aggrandisement it confers. If there's anything better than gold braid round your neb, it's a row of oak leaves and better still, two. To be fair to the Duke of Sussex, he had royalty "thrust upon him" and from an early age. He was also caught up in his parents' split up, and his mother's horrific death and aftermath

I suspect that the death of QEll will inevitably diminish the role of the royal family in all the Grand Fenwick palaver. Harry seems unconcerned about diminishing the royal family as people.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 12:32pm I suspect that the death of QEll will inevitably diminish the role of the royal family in all the Grand Fenwick palaver.
Yes, I think much genuflection was personal to Her Majesty, not positional because Queen iyswim.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

pwa wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:25am As for Meghan, I welcomed a mixed race person becoming a Royal. It seemed to me to be a refreshing moment. I never really thought about her race when I saw her, and it didn't occur to me that we would end up using the word "race" so much when talking about her. It is a pity that it all turned so sour.

It's always sad to see any family disintegrating like this, especially two brothers who share such grief.

I sense most British people hoped that the second child of the monarch marrying into a non-white family would be a good thing and felt less than zero racism with this, it seems that it's been a clash of traditional English and the Californian cultures which has been a huge problem, not the colour of people's skins.

Haz and Megs are in the odd position of making their money by trying to ridicule the British and their own family, which they're only capable of in this way because they're part of our head of state's family.

Meghan appears keen on success at all cost, perhaps having grown used to being the acting star of a sitcom, she couldn't reconcile her percevied rapid rise in status of becoming a princess with losing the limelight and power within the circle of people in her new life.

Having multimillionaires moaning on and on about their troubles doesn't appear to be going down well either here or in the States, scanning the comments on YouTube. Many are pointing out she has treated her own family poorly, especially her father.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 12:06pm
thirdcrank wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 11:43am I can't help feeling Harry wants maximum publicity on his terms and privacy otherwise. That's not how it works.
I agree. He's a complex character, seemingly worldly yet at the same time very naïve.
I agree with both comments and PWA's previous post.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 12:24pm
pwa wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 8:59am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 11:09am

The extreme hatred these people inspire is quite remarkable - far more remarkable than anything they've said or done.
To some extent they are bringing it on themselves now by raking it over and over. It is more than a grievance to them. It is their chosen profession, the career path they have taken to fund their plush lifestyle. Most families deal with arguments in house, but Meghan and Harry do it miked up, in front of cameras. For money. That isn't endearing.
Oh, sure.

But the bizarre extreme hatred of Meghan, as evidence upthread, long predates their decision to milk the Royals for cash.

On their current milking of the cash cow, good luck to them I say. Bothers me a lot less than having to put up with unelected aristos representing our country 😉
:lol: :lol: :lol: there is that too.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pwa wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:25am
PedallingSquares wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:10am
Pebble wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 12:34am Yes, I think we all know Megans mother is black, but your picture clearly shows Megan is not.
Meghan is mixed race.She is quite light skinned but that does not take away her black heritage.Your posts seem to have a slightly racist undertone.
The Royals have a bit of history of thinly veiled racism too :roll:
Every white family, my own included, has a history of racism. Most white families have seen that racism decline over recent decades, from one generation to the next. I think I have ditched any racist views I may have had when I was a child, and my own kids were brought up to see people as people and are very quick to speak against racism when they see it. But we all have it in our family history. The Royals will be just the same. I'm not concerned with what they were in the past. I care about what they are now. I think they have moved with the times, but who knows?
Yes. It's quite possible some royals are racist - just like every other person on the planet, 1st world, 3rd world, white skin, yellow etc - but to lump them together as in the bold text is just bigotry.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

mattheus wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 9:46am
PedallingSquares wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:10am
Meghan is mixed race.She is quite light skinned but that does not take away her black heritage.Your posts seem to have a slightly racist undertone.
The Royals have a bit of history of thinly veiled racism too :roll:
Every white family, my own included, has a history of racism. Most white families have seen that racism decline over recent decades, from one generation to the next. I think I have ditched any racist views I may have had when I was a child, and my own kids were brought up to see people as people and are very quick to speak against racism when they see it. But we all have it in our family history. The Royals will be just the same. I'm not concerned with what they were in the past. I care about what they are now. I think they have moved with the times, but who knows?
Yes. It's quite possible some royals are racist - just like every other person on the planet, 1st world, 3rd world, white skin, yellow etc - but to lump them together as in the bold text is just bigotry.
It is no more bigotry than to say the Met has a culture of institutionalised racism :roll:
They are not exempt from criticism just because of their privilege.
When it comes to our 'royal' family some folk need to take of their rose-tinted glasses.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PedallingSquares wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 11:34am
It is no more bigotry than to say the Met has a culture of institutionalised racism :roll:
When it comes to our 'royal' family some folk need to take of their rose-tinted glasses.
You've slightly muddied the waters there - "institutionalized" is a slippery term:
Saying "police officers are racist" would be more similar, and also an example of bigotry.

And I did not say that anyone is exempt from criticism.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mattheus wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 11:48am
PedallingSquares wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 11:34am
You've slightly muddied the waters there - "institutionalized" is a slippery term:
Saying "police officers are racist" would be more similar, and also an example of bigotry.
Surely the same would apply to "The Royal Family". Undoubtedly many are not racist, just a small minority, just as when making any "institutionalised" claims.

Is "The Royal Family" any better or worse than e.g. the Police? There is no way of knowing but Harry seems to be very focused on racism in the Royal Family and whilst any racism (or discrimination) needs to be addressed, I suspect that the bigger issue for those suffering such discrimination are things like the Police, even the Home Office (and their hostile environment trying to deport people with right to stay, etc.).

I'd have more respect for his [Harry/Megan's] ongoing "racism" claims were he (and Megan) also speaking out against disproportionate stop and search, deporting those with rights (e.g. Windrush), etc. But all they seem concerned about is racism the Royal Family which probably hardly impacts many suffering discrimination.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

It occurred to me that there are paralleis between the abdication scandal of Edward VIII and this current family squabble.
In both cases the cause was a marriage to an American, one divorced but the other black.(I know she is part white too, but racists count that as black.)
Both couples have gone into exile after a national hoo-ha about nothing very important.
Are there any other resemblances?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Debs

Post by Debs »

Mike Sales wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 8:05pm It occurred to me that there are paralleis between the abdication scandal of Edward VIII and this current family squabble.
In both cases the cause was a marriage to an American, one divorced but the other black.(I know she is part white too, but racists count that as black.)
Both couples have gone into exile after a national hoo-ha about nothing very important.
Are there any other resemblances?
Harry once wore a Nazi outfit to a fancy dress party although regrets this as a big mistake.

Edward VIII never known to have wore a Nazi outfit but was a genuine sympathiser.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Part of the Duke of Sussex's problem seems to be his unwillingness to recognise the difference between the line of succession and his position as a Windsor. When Harry was born, his elder brother was second-in-line to the throne after his father who was the then Prince of Wales. At that point, Harry was, in colloquial terms the spare. When his elder brother had children, Harry dropped down the line of succession. His own children, when they were eventually born were even further down the line. Put another way, if things roll on as expected, William will eventually be king and Harry won't. That's life - in the Royal Family at least.

In my childhood, the previous Princess Royal lived at Harewood House and was what would now be called the "working royal" attending many events in Yorkshire and the north of England, when travel was not so easy as it is today.

At his birth, her son George Henry Hubert Lascelles was apparently sixth in line to the throne. AIUI, IF his uncle Edward VIII had not abdicated AND had remained childless AND if the the then Duke of York (eventually George VI) had died as he did in 1952, THEN the Seventh Earl of Harewood would have been next in line. His mugshot bears a remarkable resemblance to his great uncle George V. Things didn't pan out that way so by his death he had dropped to 46th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_La ... f_Harewood
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Amazing how even the very sensible folk here get sucked into regurgitating mass media blather and opinion about things and people they themselves know nothing of personally and which are more or less irrelevant to any sort of daily life of 99.999% of the population (or would be if they weren't all distracted from their daily life and its degradations by infotainment of the most vacuous kind).

Who cares what they do? Why does it matter unless you let it matter by reading "the stories" and thinking about them as though they signify anything much other than that Blighty is riddled with a mad class system that often contains racists as an inevitable side-effect?

Ignore them. They might go away. :-)

Cugel, probably a virtual traitor.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes