The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by Psamathe »

I wonder how quickly all his military honory commands will be "resigned" now.
Apologies for the source
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17206460/prince-andrew-should-be-stripped-military-role/ wrote:Prince Andrew could be ‘stripped of military roles’ after Epstein scandal as officers ‘uncomfortable toasting Duke’
Ian
toontra

Post by toontra »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 4:50pm If he'd have quietly settled right at the start then it would not have been continually over the headlines for months. Settle before press gets excited and only a few republicans like me would have been "shouting" about it frustrated that nobody was listening. All his squirming and loophole attempts have done is put the entire thing in the public eye for ages so if he settles now it will be widely perceived as an admission by many (who will ignore all the legalese which will probably remain confidential anyway).

Ian
That didn't happen because his arrogance led him to believe that he could bluff it out. Not only is he supremely arrogant, he's also pretty stupid (see Newsnight interview). That's a fatal combination. Combined with the fact he's actually a nasty person by all accounts (treating palace staff like s**t) so no-one is in a rush to defend him, it was always destined to end in disaster.

If Brenda bails him out then what little sympathy I had for her is over, and I'm probably not alone.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

And now, with his failed to squirm out, press is full of not only judges decision but loads and loads of repeat articles, headlines containing "Epstein" and "Maxwell" ... things like "What were Prince Andrew’s ties to Ghislaine Maxwell and Jeffrey Epstein?". Could have been avoided (the repeat and repeat and repeat) had he settled right at the beginning. As said above, arrogance and stupidity.

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

If Andrew is able to settle, and he does that, it will be setting in stone the "probably guilty" verdict that the court of public opinion bestows upon him at the moment. That is likely to be the reason he doesn't favour that route.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

pwa wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:17amIf Andrew is able to settle, and he does that, it will be setting in stone the "probably guilty" verdict that the court of public opinion bestows upon him at the moment. That is likely to be the reason he doesn't favour that route.
He's fast running out of options. Settling out of court would still be preferable to the alternative(s).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:17am If Andrew is able to settle, and he does that, it will be setting in stone the "probably guilty" verdict that the court of public opinion bestows upon him at the moment. That is likely to be the reason he doesn't favour that route.
I think he's already there and very press report spreading the bad PR across the entire Royal Family. He was never a popular member and the photo with his arm around Ms Giuffre and a now convicted sex trafficker in the background (apparently taken by Epstein with his record). Add his continued visit(s) to Epstein (after Epstein's release from prison for soliciting a minor).

The above and other aspects makes me think the damage is done. He can make it worse, mainly for other members of the Royal Family (e.g. for those allegedly bank-rolling his legal fees). Or he can recognise where he is and go for damage limitation. The one thing that will make a sensible approach difficult is his sense of entitlement and his arrogance.

Ian
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I hope she refuses a settlement and goes for a court case, a large settlement would still leave doubt and if he is guilty then that is a bit of a let off.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Pebble wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 11:37am I hope she refuses a settlement and goes for a court case, a large settlement would still leave doubt and if he is guilty then that is a bit of a let off.
From what lawyers for Ms Giuffre said yesterday (apparently) she is seeking vindication as at least part of any settlement. Of course things can change when numbers start to get discussed and if there is a settlement I doubt we'll ever get to know the numbers. But if apology or acknowledgement are involved that is only meaningful if we all get to see it (Ms Giuffre knows what happened already so any private admission to her means nothing).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 11:37am I hope she refuses a settlement and goes for a court case, a large settlement would still leave doubt and if he is guilty then that is a bit of a let off.
He isn't facing criminal charges at the moment.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 11:53am From what lawyers for Ms Giuffre said yesterday (apparently) she is seeking vindication as at least part of any settlement. Of course things can change when numbers start to get discussed and if there is a settlement I doubt we'll ever get to know the numbers. But if apology or acknowledgement are involved that is only meaningful if we all get to see it (Ms Giuffre knows what happened already so any private admission to her means nothing).
As always in negotiation... whose position is strengthened by delay?

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 12:12pm
Psamathe wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 11:53am From what lawyers for Ms Giuffre said yesterday (apparently) she is seeking vindication as at least part of any settlement. Of course things can change when numbers start to get discussed and if there is a settlement I doubt we'll ever get to know the numbers. But if apology or acknowledgement are involved that is only meaningful if we all get to see it (Ms Giuffre knows what happened already so any private admission to her means nothing).
As always in negotiation... whose position is strengthened by delay?

Jonathan
Almost certainly that of the lawyers (unless it's pro bono work of course!)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 15.49.09.png
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/r ... 1642074993

The form of address is unorthodox, and they might have been wise to send it from another address. But neither of those affect the merits of the argument.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-andrew-military-title-queen-b1992588.html wrote:Prince Andrew stripped of military titles after sexual abuse case moves to trial
Prince Andrew stripped of military titles after sexual abuse case moves to trial
Duke will also cease to be called ‘His Royal Highness’
Also
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/virginia-giuffre-buckingham-palace-british-raf-royal-navy-b1992597.html wrote:Queen strips Andrew of honorary military roles and royal patronages
The Queen has agreed to strip the Duke of York of his honorary military roles and royal patronages, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The move is a major blow to Andrew who is facing a looming civil sexual assault court showdown after a judge ruled on Wednesday that the case could go ahead.

The Palace said in a statement: “With the Queen’s approval and agreement, the Duke of York’s military affiliations and royal patronages have been returned to the Queen.

“The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.”
Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 13 Jan 2022, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Inevitable thing became inevitable.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

It's a start from them.