The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 11:11am
reohn2 wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 8:47am
Practice makes perfect,but the accent is part of the language.
What's the approved accent for speaking english?
I was referring to speaking Welsh.

As for an approved English accent,it seems to be BBC English,though that's softened in recent years 🤔
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

reohn2 wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 12:52pm I was referring to speaking Welsh.

As for an approved English accent,it seems to be BBC English,though that's softened in recent years 🤔
Welsh has different accents, dialects and even words depending in which part of Wales you're in.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have they buried the woman yet? I need to buy an onion and it's apparently the case that in order to show respect, they have to bury the old woman before an onion can be bought. I'm hoping that onions can be bought near the Scottish border by 5pm

How long has charlie got left? Have to admit I'm already dreading another week with a dead royal OAP - they don't even close the supermarkets locally when someone dies instore
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ben@Forest wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 1:36pm

Welsh has different accents, dialects and even words depending in which part of Wales you're in.
:)
yep, just like most countries beyond the truly tiddly/ruritarian.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gbnz wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 2:32pm Have they buried the woman yet? I need to buy an onion and it's apparently the case that in order to show respect, they have to bury the old woman before an onion can be bought. I'm hoping that onions can be bought near the Scottish border by 5pm

How long has charlie got left? Have to admit I'm already dreading another week with a dead royal OAP - they don't even close the supermarkets locally when someone dies instore
you did know this was coming?
no stocks?
check the cupboard for something.
I'd revise your shopping habits - shopping trips for single onions very inefficient.
Sweep
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Sweep wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 2:37pm [shopping trips for single onions very inefficient.
Perhaps, but a superb ride :wink: . About to set off, 28.5 miles partially along the route of a Roman road, following the track of a 1880's railway, crossing the moors, stunning views of 11-13th century castles, with sweeping beaches. May not even need a pannier for an onion
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

26.3miles done today, on Moulton, with loadsa hills and a total ascent of 2,635ft ............ that's as near as dammit 100ft per mile. Lowest elevation was 50ft and highest was 1,050ft.

Made it back to Gunnislake at 12:30 after a ride of nearly three hours, and called in at the Rising Sun for three pints of Dartmoor Legend whilst watching the big screen showing the HMQ funeral.

Mrs Mick F was already there, and we chatted (very quietly) about the RN ratings and the marching.
Remember, I spent nearly 30years in the RN and met Mrs Mick F when I was still under training and she saw me many times in my "sailor-suit".

I've been marching many times in my career, and I know full well how much concentration it takes.

For instance, whilst in HMS Sirius in 1988, we march through Sidney OZ as part of the Bi-Centenary celebrations, and we were part of an international naval gathering. We marched through the city with crowds lining the streets and cheering. We all concentrated hard to keep in step and to keep in line etc, and one lady shouted to us, "Smile, for goodness sake!"
We couldn't smile, because it was hard work concentrating to keep in step and keep in line and be correct.

Those naval ratings, and all the other forces today, all had to concentrate hard to keep it right and perfect.
Yes, I know it was a solemn occasion, but the concentration on the faces of all involved was evident - to me and Mrs Mick F alike. No doubt many people noticed that too. It brought all that marching from decades ago, right back to us.

Well done chaps! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

5hrs riding on deserted roads, easily as quiet as lockdown. State funerals do have some upsides.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I enjoy empty city streets - pretty much like lockdown this a.m.
20220919_110534.jpg
And I don't know why can't get it straight!
Last edited by djnotts on 19 Sep 2022, 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 1:36pm

I'm well aware of it but there's a generic accent and language,that's not spoken with a plummy English accent speaking Welsh words.
Last edited by reohn2 on 19 Sep 2022, 5:33pm, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

20220919_110534.jpg
pwa

Post by pwa »

Sweep wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 2:37pm
gbnz wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 2:32pm Have they buried the woman yet? I need to buy an onion and it's apparently the case that in order to show respect, they have to bury the old woman before an onion can be bought. I'm hoping that onions can be bought near the Scottish border by 5pm

you did know this was coming?
no stocks?
check the cupboard for something.
I'd revise your shopping habits - shopping trips for single onions very inefficient.
Summat wrong if one can't survive one day without a shop. Shops were open yesterday and they are open tomorrow. Some are even open this evening.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

gbnz wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 2:32pm - they don't even close the supermarkets locally when someone dies instore
Blimey. Is that a common occurrence?

Are the aisles mined or something??
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 6:29pm
gbnz wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 2:32pm - they don't even close the supermarkets locally when someone dies instore
Blimey. Is that a common occurrence?

Are the aisles mined or something??
Yes! Mined with junkfud, which explodes very slowly in yer body until it's so degraded it won't work proper.

However, as with the plastic and other spurious wrappings, the supermarket rascals offload the costs of exploded junkfudders on to the NHS and others who have to deal with and pay for the fallout of unhealthy and dead bodies made unfit for habitation by all that sugar, salt and pesticide.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Had a 7 hour 54 mile tour round Edinburgh, apart from the old town it was pretty quiet

anyone recognise which famous poet my bike is propped up alongside ?