The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PedallingSquares

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by PedallingSquares »

pete75 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 12:41pm Yep. He's just about disowned either his own or Major James Hewitt's son for marrying someone not of the right hue. Whether or not Charles regards that as worse than screwing sex trafficked girls, we'll never know.
Can Charles now reinstate all the titles etc that his mother stripped from Harry?
Can he 'bring him back into the fold' so to speak?
This assuming of course that Harry and Meghan would want to do so.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Nearholmer wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 2:17pm Doesn’t stop us all imaging we spent our early years up various oak trees dotted across England, and our later years in the embrace of Nel Gwynn, then completing the survey while ‘in character’.

it might be wise to decide exactly what we imagine the date to be though, because he got increasing peevish about Parliament trying to assert itself as he got older, repeatedly dissolving it when he didn’t like the drift of its thinking.
If I wuz king I'd dissolve the current parliament (and all the creatures in it) as I don't like the drift of their "thinking" or any of the other directions they're taking us down. (And "down" seems to be the appropriate word). My great, great, great grandfather was German .... and if I pull me fizzog a certain way I look remarkably like Queen Victoria. Perhaps if I examine my family history I'll find I can make a claim to the throne .......... ?

Cugel, Peasant of Wales
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 2:02pm
Mick F wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 7:36pm I'm left wing-ish.

Let us all do this survey again eh?
Why not do it as if you were Charles 2?

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Anyone fancy doing it as C2? :lol: :lol:

This is me.
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 19.34.29.png
At the time, it seemed too trivial to point out he's been dead quite some time
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

My mistake ........ sorry.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Cugel wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 3:09pm

If I wuz king I'd dissolve the current parliament...
Welcome to the forum Boris.

However, the last time you tried that it was judged illegal, and you're not "world king" any longer.

How about you go and write some "edgy" newspaper columns for profit, punching down on the vulnerable, just like the good old days.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 4:07pm
Cugel wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 3:09pm

If I wuz king I'd dissolve the current parliament...
Welcome to the forum Boris.

However, the last time you tried that it was judged illegal, and you're not "world king" any longer.

How about you go and write some "edgy" newspaper columns for profit, punching down on the vulnerable, just like the good old days.
When Cromwell entered parliament and said " You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... In the name of God, go!" , nobody challenged the legality. I wonder why......
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One aspect about those protesting I feel confuses things is, fair enough that protesting at events where the Queen is being respected is in bad taste and probably counter productive. But Charles seems to be on a "Look at me, "I'm King" tour of the UK to try and garner support for himself and protesting at such events I don't see as being in bad taste in the same way or to the same degree - they are events about the new regime. And probably designed as such the "As King I'll behave and you must respect me ..." attempts by Charles are mixed in with "And let's respect the Queen ...".

I see protesters at Charles' attempts to become popular as not being the same as protests e.g. as the Queen's coffin procession passed by.

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pete75 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 6:24pm When Cromwell entered parliament and said " You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... In the name of God, go!" , nobody challenged the legality. I wonder why......
Cromwell also had with him a company of musketeers led by Major-General Thomas Harrison who cleared the Chamber and Harrison apparently pulled the Speaker, William Lenthall, out of his chair.

So no wondering why there then.... :?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Psamathe wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 7:34pm But Charles seems to be on a "Look at me, "I'm King" tour of the UK to try and garner support for himself and protesting at such events I don't see as being in bad taste in the same way or to the same degree - they are events about the new regime. And probably designed as such the "As King I'll behave and you must respect me ..." attempts by Charles are mixed in with "And let's respect the Queen ...".

I see protesters at Charles' attempts to become popular as not being the same as protests e.g. as the Queen's coffin procession passed by.

Ian
I am glad to see he did not have an unmixed reception in Cardiff.
King Charles has been greeted with boos by a small crowd of protesters during his first visit to Wales as monarch.

Campaigners held banners and posters outside the Welsh Parliament as the King and new Queen Consort left on Friday afternoon.

Banners had slogans which said: "Abolish the monarchy", "Citizen not subject", and "Democracy now."

Footage posted on social media showed people booing the couple as they made their way through crowds, although much of the noise was drowned out by cheers from royal supporters.

The King and Queen Consort are visiting Cardiff for what will be seen by many as a historical day for Wales.

However, for many others, the day is significant for another reason – it is Owain Glyndwr Day.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/king-charles- ... 28636.html
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

nobody challenged the legality. I wonder why......
When Cornet Joyce, in command of a troop of New Model Army horse soldiers came and took possession of the then King from the parliamentarians who were holding him under house arrest, Charles I is supposed to have asked him on what authority he was acting. Joyce simply turned and indicated the tough-looking and well-armed troopers behind him, to which the King replied “‘Tis as good a commission and as well writ as any that I have seen.”, before surrendering himself into Joyce’s charge.

Parliament was in pretty much the same position when Cromwell told them to go.

(Ben beat me to it!)

PS: There are different versions of the Cornet Joyce story. In some Joyce is supposed to have held out his pistol in the palm of his hand, rather than indicating the troopers, for instance.
Last edited by Nearholmer on 16 Sep 2022, 8:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

It’s a complicated time, isn’t it?

As I said before in this or another thread, it feels to me very much as if The Royal Household is following a well-laid plan to “dig in” as fast as possible, making sure that the position of the monarchy is well secured before doubt, debate, dissent etc can brew, making excellent use of the ‘air cover’ provided by the genuine affection and respect for the late Queen before it begins to diffuse. They seem to have upset a proportion of Welsh people by being a bit too quick and obvious about it in appointing a new PoW though.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 7:38pm
pete75 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 6:24pm When Cromwell entered parliament and said " You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... In the name of God, go!" , nobody challenged the legality. I wonder why......
Cromwell also had with him a company of musketeers led by Major-General Thomas Harrison who cleared the Chamber and Harrison apparently pulled the Speaker, William Lenthall, out of his chair.

So no wondering why there then.... :?
That's what I meant. :?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 12:37pm
pwa wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 10:58am
pete75 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 8:09am

Yes but not because he hated immigration.
The point is that being pro EU membership or anti EU membership is not directly linked to being to the Right or the Left. Corbyn wasn't madly pro EU membership either. You will find right wingers on both sides of that debate too. It isn't an inherently Right v Left issue.

And here we are, with another non-Brexit thread swerved onto a Brexit track! I'll leave this diversion and let it return, perhaps, to the Royals. :lol:
You mentioned Brexit before I did, know you're complaining about it. Bizarre.
Anyhow my point about Benn is that he wasn't anti-EU membership for the usual right wing reasons such as being anti-immigration.
Quite possibly, in reply to others, and I allowed myself to be drawn in. A weakness. I don't disagree with you about Benn, but he does illustrate that anti-EU membership leanings does not automatically equate to right wing leanings. It can do, but it is not automatic. I didn't make that point, initially, in reply to anything you yourself said.

I would also say that concern about levels of immigration may not be right wing, so long as a few basic conditions are met. Firstly, the concerns must be non-racist and non-bigoted. Secondly, the concerns must be tempered by acceptance that some immigration must happen to allow for decent humane treatment of genuine refugees. But I agree that many people are concerned about immigration for reasons that are "right wing" in nature.

There must be numerous subjects on which a person could take a stance generally felt, by others, to be right wing or left wing, but which they themselves adopt for reasons that are not in that category. I grew up in a Catholic household and, as such, knew Catholics who were nothing but left leaning in most matters, but who were against abortion in all but the most extreme circumstances. They felt that the unborn life had rights too. Is it authoritarian to believe an unborn life matters? I think that belief lies outside left/right or even authoritarian/liberal if you look at it deeply. I'm not arguing for or against that position, but I am saying that holding that belief doesn't say much about your leanings on other matters.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 9:31am Is it authoritarian to believe an unborn life matters? I think that belief lies outside left/right or even authoritarian/liberal if you look at it deeply. I'm not arguing for or against that position, but I am saying that holding that belief doesn't say much about your leanings on other matters.
From a religious point of view there's no such thing as an unborn life. The Bible says life begins with the breath. If you don't believe have a read of the book of Genesis - it's in there somewhere,.near the beginning.

From the point of view of abortion do they think that only they are bothered about the unborn baby and that women who choose to have an abortion do say without, in many cases, a great deal of sometime spainful thought. What is authoritarian is the view that a woman can't do what she chooses with her own body.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pete75 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 4:19pm
Pebble wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 3:55pm
pete75 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 3:26pm

The links I've posted above are hardly "Clever Dick sniping", they show the hidden power of an unelected head of state in our supposed democracy. We are frequently told the monarch's constitutional role is limited to accepting and signing into law the decisions of parliament. In reality this isn't the case and it appears the monarchy is very active behind the scenes, using it's influence to protect it's vast personal wealth and even to deny the protection of employment legislation to it's own staff.

The proclamation of Charles III, describes him as our "Liege lord" and that we owe him "Obedience with humble affection", both a bit odd in a so called democracy.
he could be the only person in Britain wealthier than your good self
Stupid comment.
It seems you have no idea of the wealth of much of our aristocracy never mind the likes of James Dyson and Alan Sugar.
So you might not even be the second richest man in Britain ?
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 10:29am
pwa wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 9:31am Is it authoritarian to believe an unborn life matters? I think that belief lies outside left/right or even authoritarian/liberal if you look at it deeply. I'm not arguing for or against that position, but I am saying that holding that belief doesn't say much about your leanings on other matters.
From a religious point of view there's no such thing as an unborn life. The Bible says life begins with the breath. If you don't believe have a read of the book of Genesis - it's in there somewhere,.near the beginning.

From the point of view of abortion do they think that only they are bothered about the unborn baby and that women who choose to have an abortion do say without, in many cases, a great deal of sometime spainful thought. What is authoritarian is the view that a woman can't do what she chooses with her own body.
With her own body and the other life that she bears, is how it is seen if you believe that life begins before birth. And that is why taking a strong anti-abortion stance (not my own, by the way) is not necessarily a sign that one is authoritarian generally. If you genuinely hold that view, you believe that abortion is killing. There is a dilemma of a woman's rights versus her unborn child's life. A lot of Catholics agonise about that. That's what struck me when I saw the abortion question on that survey. It leads to a simplistic judgement about you without getting beneath the surface of your answer.