The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Nearholmer

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by Nearholmer »

like many Irish people he was proud to be from a place where the Head of State has to be approved by the people
Conversely, I’ve heard quite a few people in Ireland moaning that the president is an expensive waste of time, because he/she “never does anything useful”. The President actually gets a salary no greater than that of a middling-senior manager, plus a rather posh residence, so in truth isn’t ‘lushed up’, and comes cheap by head of state standards, but their constitutional role is very tightly limited/defined, so maybe it does look to many as if it’s money for old rope!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 9:37am
like many Irish people he was proud to be from a place where the Head of State has to be approved by the people
Conversely, I’ve heard quite a few people in Ireland moaning that the president is an expensive waste of time, because he/she “never does anything useful”. The President actually gets a salary no greater than that of a middling-senior manager, plus a rather posh residence, so in truth isn’t ‘lushed up’, and comes cheap by head of state standards, but their constitutional role is very tightly limited/defined, so maybe it does look to many as if it’s money for old rope!
Pending a more detailed response for me as requested: the Irish system for the Head of State is the one that I would favour for the UK.

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, one of the reasons I read-up on it when I used to be over there a lot, and again recently, is that it seems very sensible, I think the German system is quite similar (but with a flashier residence!).

But, I think even the Irish system could be “gamed” by a PM intent on exploiting a majority in Parliament to operate as an elected dictator, deliberately creating polarisation to allow them to entrench a tyranny in the name of a majority, because nearly everything the president does is “under advice” (which means more or less instruction) by the PM. There is a clause that allows them to put a bill back to parliament, and I think direct to the people, but how good a safeguard that is, I’m not sure.

To get serious protection against one-person power grabs would require our constitution to be properly codified, with appropriate checks and balances, probably with most of the power resting with Parliament, rather than the executive government. It might even need the thing that I’m very sceptical of, PR, but I don’t think so if power genuinely rested with Parliament, and the executive was genuinely accountable to it.

But, we are a long way from all that!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 9:59am Yes, one of the reasons I read-up on it when I used to be over there a lot, and again recently, is that it seems very sensible, I think the German system is quite similar (but with a flashier residence!).
Yes, very similar in the grand scheme of things, but the big difference of having to work in the Federal system.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 9:59amTo get serious protection against one-person power grabs would require our constitution to be properly codified, with appropriate checks and balances, probably with most of the power resting with Parliament, rather than the executive government. It might even need the thing that I’m very sceptical of, PR, but I don’t think so if power genuinely rested with Parliament, and the executive was genuinely accountable to it.
Limiting that overweening executive power is the crucial problem in our system at the moment. Abolishing the monarchy wouldn't address it per se, but it would make it much easier to unlock some of the problems.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The Prince of Wales accepted bags containing millions of euros in cash during meetings with a senior Qatari politician, according to a report.

"Prince Charles was said to have been given a total of €3m (£2.6m) during meetings with Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al-Thani, the former prime minister of Qatar.

"The cash was handed to the heir to the British throne in a suitcase on one occasion, a holdall on another, as well as in Fortnum & Mason carrier bags, the up-market department store which holds a Royal Warrant to supply the prince’s household with groceries."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... atari-cash

Well... as long as it was a Fortnum and Mason bag. That should remove any suspicion of anything untoward.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Going entirely from memory, when the late Ken Dodd was on trial for tax offences which involved suitcases full of money in the loft, when questioned he replied along the lines that "the cases were surprisingly light, My Lord." No George Carman now to give the jury the nudge, nudge, wink, wink. The quip about some accountants being comedians doesn't really work if you put "prince" instead
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

That anyone could imagine that huge amounts of money in banknotes wasn't somehow 'dodgy' beats me.
Who would deal this way unless you want to disguise the origin of the money.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The jury acquitted Ken Dodd
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:21am That anyone could imagine that huge amounts of money in banknotes wasn't somehow 'dodgy' beats me.
I think it's a brilliant story. Given him nicknames. Prince "Cash in Bags" Charles and later King "Cash in Bags" Charles. Or just "Cash in Bags". Good ring to it.

What could be dodgy about millions in notes in bags from overseas sources ...? Beggars belief. And all Royals can do is "No laws were broken".

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:21am That anyone could imagine that huge amounts of money in banknotes wasn't somehow 'dodgy' beats me.
Now you're reading my mind! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps it should be investigated on a case-by-case basis
rjb

Post by rjb »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:49am Perhaps it should be investigated on a case-by-case basis
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any spare cases please send my way.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Get a job as a flunkey, then if anybody asks what you are up to say you were just taking notes.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:07am
Now you're reading my mind! :D
:lol: