The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
briansnail

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by briansnail »

The Flypast was great.Typhoons,Lancaster's,Apache helicopters you name it.The Navy,Army and Air Force did a good show.Just as well with over a billion people watching.Lot's of people coming in to London from all over the world for the main event 2.30 pm Sunday (includes lots of cycles)
pwa

Post by pwa »

A billion watched that? Really? I made a point of not watching. Surely the flypast cannot be any more impressive than the last one or the one before that because they throw their best stuff at it every time, which never looks impressive on the telly anyway.

I took the dog for her last walk of the day yesterday evening, around the village green, and of the twenty or so houses that surround the green, only one had bunting and flags outside. I think there is a lot of indifference out there going unreported.
Last edited by pwa on 3 Jun 2022, 8:51am, edited 2 times in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 9:46pm Well spotted re 2020! This is better than the pedants' corner in Private Eye
It's obvious I meant 2022.
Slip of the keyboard! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Apparently Liz can't make it to a horse race. And this is news! I suppose it would have looked a bit weird if she'd missed today's ceremony in her honour many years in the planning and then trotted off to Epsom the next day :wink:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you’ve never seen this it’s very clever.
North Korea march voice coverage from BBC Stephen Evans, with video footage from Trooping the Colour.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I think there is a lot of indifference out there going unreported.
Widespread apathy never makes for good headlines.

Although, I’ve been surprised by how much flag-bedecking has gone on, and how many tea parties are taking place. A fair bit locally, and when I went for a bike ride in the Vale of Aylesbury yesterday it was evident that villages are in fierce competition. Prize for the single biggest flag goes to this cottage in Qauinton, which beat even Granborough, a village which actually belongs to HMQ.
CC2F2F27-8665-41B7-992C-91ACAD80949E.jpeg
ossie

Post by ossie »

No issue with Liz...I served her for 26 years and without doubt a fantastic monarch. It's all worth it and I'm glad to see it embraced. As a country we do this better than anyone else.

Society is changing however. When she moves on it will all fade away - for good or bad.

You can judge it by our estate / village / suburb whatever you want to call it. The oldest part with the oldest but still able folk is decked with flags, bunting the whole lot. The newer areas with younger families not so, the kind of 'middle area' just a mixed bag.

I wish her well. I profess to not having watched one bit on TV, even the fly past no matter how fabulous (and my elderly mum told me it was fantastic).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well, dont know about whether younger generations dont decorate their houses but hundreds turned up to our Jubilee Fayre. Kareoke with decent singers, lots of stalls for youngsters to enjoy, cream teas, bouncy castle, electric cars on a track for juniors and loads of families picknicking on the village cricket ground (this is Somerset!) A large garden of a cricket professíonal open and the town big band playing too. A very happy relaxed friendly atmosphere throughout the village. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ossie

Post by ossie »

al_yrpal wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 8:52pm Well, dont know about whether younger generations dont decorate their houses but hundreds turned up to our Jubilee Fayre. Kareoke with decent singers, lots of stalls for youngsters to enjoy, cream teas, bouncy castle, electric cars on a track for juniors and loads of families picknicking on the village cricket ground (this is Somerset!) A large garden of a cricket professíonal open and the town big band playing too. A very happy relaxed friendly atmosphere throughout the village. :D

Al
It sounds like a great day. It takes folk to organise this sort of stuff so fair play to them and long may it continue.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJ9oSn6U7g
To anyone who missed the 70 aircraft flypast you can catch it on YouTube. Everyone went mad when the Red Arrows appeared. The only thing I would be critical of is 6 minutes was to short. For all the effort put in they might have double backed and done 12 minutes.
The other big disappointment was that the Nimrod was absent as retired from service and the Spitfire was to high to hear the distinctive roar of the Merlin engine. Sunday is the big one for the Platinum jubilee. Our cycling gang will be joining both Royal and non Royal fans at the pub for a couple of beers,
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

A lot of the planes from the flypast went on to make circuits over various parts of the country, making solo, or small group flypasts at local events - I was surprised by a Lancaster making a steep turn at what seemed like tree-top height as I was returning from my bike ride. Four merlin engines on that one!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

From another thread:
While this monarch survives, nobody with clout has any motive to make significant changes, or to try.
While I'm a big fan of the Queen (though not of many other members of her family), I will confess to having wondered recently whether having had a President might have provided a few checks and balances against the disgraceful behaviour of those who govern us.
Both spot-on.

One of the major harmful effects of our current system is that it prevents us developing those checks and balances that are needed to limit the powers of the executive, especially when they are exerted unconstitutionally or unlawfully.

The complete failure of this was seen in the recent unlawful prorogation of Parliament.

In a very short time we could see uncertainty over the status of the Prime Minister, extension of a war in Europe and passing of domestic law that directly breaches a very important international treaty. It's going to be much harder to handle those with a Head of State who is unable to intervene because using the relevant powers is clearly undemocratic and who might not be personally fit to handle the pressures.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 8:41am The Flypast was great.Typhoons,Lancaster's,Apache helicopters you name it.
Did you watch this In London?

How many Lancasters did you see?

briansnail wrote: 4 Jun 2022, 7:20am ... and the Spitfire was to high to hear the distinctive roar of the Merlin engine.
Which Spitfire was it? Half of the BBMF Spitfires don't have Merlins.

Thanks

Jonathan
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Nearholmer wrote: 4 Jun 2022, 8:20am A lot of the planes from the flypast went on to make circuits over various parts of the country, making solo, or small group flypasts at local events - I was surprised by a Lancaster making a steep turn at what seemed like tree-top height as I was returning from my bike ride. Four merlin engines on that one!
I was out for a spin on Thursday and the BoB flight snuck up on me and then flew directly overhead at (what felt like) about 500ft.
It wasn't quiet.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Nearholmer wrote: 4 Jun 2022, 8:20am A lot of the planes from the flypast went on to make circuits over various parts of the country, making solo, or small group flypasts at local events - I was surprised by a Lancaster making a steep turn at what seemed like tree-top height as I was returning from my bike ride. Four merlin engines on that one!
The Battle of Britain Flight flew South over Cleeve Hill yesterday - not quite close enough to the Cheltenham Racecourse where we were for us to get a good view, but still hugely distinctive. We then had a C17 give a couple of flypasts.