The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by thirdcrank »

By "boss" do you mean his dear old Duch(ess of Sussex?)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 5:45pm By "boss" do you mean his dear old Duch(ess of Sussex?)
No. Probably for the 1st time here I've avoided her involvement. More that just as he (Harry) can step out of the Royal Family, also he has "Royal Blood" and can chose to step back in which makes him a Royal and us (incl. the Prime Minister) subjects. He is still a Prince and his "stepping back from Royal Duties" seems more of a "sabbatical" than much else and he is still making the most of his Royal status.

Of course we then get into the "Are we subjects or citizens?" debate (and without a written constitution I doubt there would be any conclusion to that discussion).

Ian
toontra

Post by toontra »

Whatever his motives, he's got a bloody good agent. He's been headline news for days now. First the Invictus games, then his "private" chat with his granny and now his reflections on his mother. Not bad for someone "stepping back".

It would appear he wants all the status (and perks) of being a one-time royal without any of the responsibilities or duties. I wish he would step back a bit further.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

toontra wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 6:29pm Whatever his motives, he's got a bloody good agent. He's been headline news for days now. First the Invictus games, then his "private" chat with his granny and now his reflections on his mother. Not bad for someone "stepping back".

It would appear he wants all the status (and perks) of being a one-time royal without any of the responsibilities or duties. I wish he would step back a bit further.
He can't, as soon as he steps out of the public eye then the 'royalties' dry up. Well not royalties (but I couldn't resist). However he's got to be continue to promote himself and use the Royal Family as a prop to keep those $ coming in.....
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm sure everybody has heard the news that York Council have stripped P. Andrew of his Freedom of the City.

But what I find more interesting is
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-61247885 wrote:...
Councillors also called for him to relinquish his Duke of York title in the wake of his out-of-court settlement with Virginia Giuffre in the US.
Mr Smalley, the council's executive member for culture, leisure & communities and proposer of the motion, said: "Having been stripped of his military roles and royal patronages by the Queen, we believe that it is right to remove all links that Prince Andrew still has with our great city.
"I was pleased to see councillors of all parties support this motion and make it clear that it is no longer appropriate for Prince Andrew to represent York and its residents."
Wonder what the Royals will do when the city they've "gifted" to one of their own rejects that individual. I doubt they'll pay any notice to the wishes of the city - which "says it all" about how the Royal Family operates and it's interest in the people (i.e. they still regard the country as theirs to do with as they want and wishes of the population are irrelevant).

Ian
slowster

Post by slowster »

Psamathe wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 10:18pm I'm sure everybody has heard the news that York Council have stripped P. Andrew of his Freedom of the City.

But what I find more interesting is
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-61247885 wrote:...
Councillors also called for him to relinquish his Duke of York title in the wake of his out-of-court settlement with Virginia Giuffre in the US.
Mr Smalley, the council's executive member for culture, leisure & communities and proposer of the motion, said: "Having been stripped of his military roles and royal patronages by the Queen, we believe that it is right to remove all links that Prince Andrew still has with our great city.
"I was pleased to see councillors of all parties support this motion and make it clear that it is no longer appropriate for Prince Andrew to represent York and its residents."
Wonder what the Royals will do when the city they've "gifted" to one of their own rejects that individual. I doubt they'll pay any notice to the wishes of the city - which "says it all" about how the Royal Family operates and it's interest in the people (i.e. they still regard the country as theirs to do with as they want and wishes of the population are irrelevant).
Unlike knighthoods, stripping a peerage requires an Act of Parliament. I appreciate the people of York might consider it offensive and insulting that he retains his title, but it is even less acceptable that convicted criminals are still sitting in the House of Lords because Parliament lacks the integrity and will to pass a law that makes peerages subject to a process whereby they can be removed without an indidividual Act of Parliament. The Honours Forfeiture Committee currently can only remove knighthoods and honours like the OBE.

This has been an issue for decades, e.g. Lord Kagan convicted of theft in 1980. The House of Lords currently includes the following convicted criminals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Whit ... nningfield

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tayl ... of_Warwick
pwa

Post by pwa »

In a few weeks time we will have this Jubilee thing, and we will have lots of TV broadcasts telling us how the nation has come together to celebrate, completely ignoring the fact that a substantial part of the population couldn't care less. For me it feels like the right time for Her Maj to draw a line under monarchy and say that it has had its day and is now looking out of place. I thought it was interesting, recently, that royal tours of Caribbean island nations have become problematic, with activists and politicians wanting to use them to confront royals with grievances about slavery. So the royals can't really visit those nations anymore. For me, monarchy has never felt more pointless. I don't hate it, I just wonder why we persist with it. It is tired, it doesn't unite us anymore, and it just makes me feel weary.
Wenagade

Post by Wenagade »

Yeah we're close the :

Sovereign State
Ceremonial heads of Armed Forces
Royal British Legion
Lords ( oversight of government policy )
Various institutions of merit ( Arts etc )
Working mens clubs
Churches ( closing )
Pubs ( closing & bars transformed )
Community Centers ( Sea Churches )

& build more prisons & restraining device's for failing discipline & education ( example afaic Math's doesn't need to be a 4th year compulsory subject, when those who choose to avoid it could be better served for all with a new ' ready for work ' GCSE involving many basics of safety & construction priory forms of apprenticeships or taken on by various companies involving manual work.

& protect the NHS by back door privatisation & give our Sovereignty away by rejoining the euro & lose our pound, our structure & history.

I maintain support for the E.E.A like Norway.

We'll pretend we never sailed the 7 seas & mapped the world or invented countless innovations & just let the majority purchase a shipping crate & film the 5th element for safety found in N.A.T.O ! or more likely many purchase several crates & rent them out to film Wall E Tennant's.

We should keep our Royal Institution's & be proud of them & the continuity & commendation that goes with them seams to know don't know what you've got til its gone ?

I do not want the MP for ' Bournemouth ' opening new architectural buildings & the media need to support more ex sportsmen & women, the explorers past & present in expression over superficial ' reality shows ', it's called mass effect that's has resulted in twirkin being legal ! ( pet hate breeds hate ).

& duty bounds, not for all the tea in China would i wish to receive the personal draining interference & attention that Royalty brings 24/7, that should lesson with reform & currently non existent www.workfund.org.uk in favour of ' pill boxes ' & throwing round earth disorders like confetti.

Nevermind the list payments likely surpassed by tourism revenue, the Royals could sell property & assets & live with a few billion & leave the S expression circus & try to live what is priceless, a ' normal life ', you sea privilege doesn't last a lifetime it can easily become a thorn in your side, life can not be avoided by any title & many people forget this for pictures of grandiose.

Duty & leadership is paramount to sustainability not
generation woke & ' smart dumb mind control ' phones causing immersion effects transformed into disorders & pills notions of healthcare & welfare.

There's only one horse guard parade unrivalled & its ours.

Don't be swayed by the ground down sections of defining what's good for business as if good for nation state, & some within the media precide sustained coercion, who have set about to turn the people against Sovereign Nations, who's governments swear oath to serve & its people under the altamate authority God.

It's our realm & it has reason & to lose it to just one office & 2 parties presenting democracy ?

Wake up to the big picture of ill health & devided communities, in other words hogwarts playing conkers because of playground bullying.

& I'm not a Royalist in the true sense of the word, i have a myriad of views on life throughout the world, its meaning & its structure how we're supposed to learn from history not repeat its downfalls.

Mountain correlated philosophical true meaning to energy & spiritual existence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment

Just as I'm Christian yet am very fond of Hinduism &

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/ency ... orytelling

Not discounting other Religions either, it's called open minded, when most people who have FACT had minds closed on purpose away from purpose you end up with distraction, like woke over what matters most peace & relative prosperity for all, something proclaimed from democracy quite the opposite the 8 year voting cycling debt apathy data & false dawns of hope.

For Christ's sake & just like the war thread that's my 2 pence worth & i shan't reply to any comments or flaming if response to my take & believe, i easily could but this is the not Skout buzz board, incidentally as to vibrancy & vitality our fabric beings taken for ' chaos theory '.

S
Last edited by Wenagade on 29 Apr 2022, 7:45pm, edited 14 times in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well I'm not happy about the upcoming jubilee. I'm still not sure if the stupid extra bank holiday has robbed me of my last full week's holiday or not too.

Our company gives statutory minimum of 28 days paid holiday. My days are allocated to normally 8 BH days, fixed lockdown and normally 3 full weeks or 15 days I can select for myself. Now it's 15 because of the extra bank holiday without an extra statutory holiday.

So what does that mean? I cannot take one holiday with my family because I've got one day too short. Because of an outdated institution that most citizens are probably not interested in outside of these "big"events. So stuff the lot of them and the government for pandering to the minority of part time royalists in a pathetic attempt to curry favour.

As I say, I'm waiting to find out if the company owners are gong to give us an extra, paid holiday to cover this.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

"The Platinum Jubilee Pageant is inviting children from across the UK to play a part in the ‘River of Hope’ procession. Forming an important part of the Pageant, the procession will comprise of two hundred silk flags which will process down The Mall, emulating a moving river. Primary and secondary school children are invited to create a picture of their hopes and aspirations for the planet over the next 70 years. A selection of these creations will be transferred on to silk flags, which will carried by secondary school pupils. The ‘River of Hope’ section is being choreographed by Kinetika Bloco with music by one hundred young players from London and Edinburgh.

The artwork for the flags will be focused on climate change and incorporates the children’s messages for the future. applying schools will be provided with step-by-step guides to creating a beautiful digital artwork with their students, of which 200 will then be selected for the flags. The selected artwork will then also be shown up and down the country on screens as part of the Jubilee celebrations."

I included the extract above as there will be loads and loads of proud Mums and Dads from across the UK and ONE BIG STEP FOR CLIMATE CHANGE
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Debs

Post by Debs »

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 1 May 2022, 9:42am River of Hope:
https://thamesfestivaltrust.org/river-of-hope/

Jonathan
Quite ironic(or is that what you were hi-lighting?)when the water companies are allowed to almost daily spew raw sewage into UK rivers! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail

Post by briansnail »

"Dame Laura Kenny is made a Dame Commander of the British Empire by the Duke of Cambridge
Golden couple Dame Laura and Sir Jason have won 12 Olympic cycling gold medals between them and were given the titles for services to the sport.
The cycling stars also revealed that William asked them if Sir Jason, who retired from racing to move into coaching, would now train Dame Laura.
“And then he also said he will be at the Commonwealth Games as well which I’m hoping will be my next bike race, and he sent love to our family as well which was nice.”
*********************************************************************************
Congratulations to this British CYCLING couple and best of luck at the Commonwealth games