The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 11:22am A lawyer looks at the agreement:
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/01/a-l ... g-to-rely/

Jonathan
Fascinating stuff which imo illustrates something much wider than the activities of Epstein and co.

Although many people may not realise it, our lives involve numberless contracts, most of them only spoken. However, this is where the learned friends make a lot of their money and the reason for endless small print, which is increasingly replaced with endless rambling on the phone. I've not bothered to count the words here, but Mr Green's analysis seems at least as long as the contract he's analysing.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Normalised.
Where abnormal becomes normal.

There is normal at the top of the heap.
Then there is normal at the bottom of the heap.
But then theres just normal.
The middle England and the top of the heap, do need to be educated on what normal really is.
Otherwise they become abnormal.

For me it's not really normal to take winter holidays straight after or combined with Xmas and New Year?
I only remember two holidays I had as a child, one was in a caravan next to a canal I think, the other was in a wooden chalet with a bowl and a jug of water.
So maybe I'm not normal.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

USA v Maxwell:
The Court hereby sets the following briefing schedule for the Defense to move for a new trial in light of the issues raised in the parties’ letters...
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .571.0.pdf

"Court Inquiry Requested After Ghislaine Maxwell Juror Goes Public as Survivor of Sexual Abuse":
https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/ghi ... ostpopular

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the context of this thread and its current focus on the not so grand old Duke of York, it's hard to see how a retrial would do anything but prolong his humiliation.

IMO the matter of jury selection shows a long-running debate about how a jury trial can be organised to ensure the jury members reach their verdicts on the evidence they have heard using their experience as ordinary people but ignoring their prejudices. Jury selection appears to have failed here, in the sense that it's reported that the relevant juror skipped the small print in the selection questionnaire and then exercised their right to free speech - spilling the beans. We do it differently, in that once some crooks have been excluded we select the jury as randomly as it's reasonably possible then gag them so nobody but the jury knows what went on.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Change of subject - but still about 'royals' and my cynical attitude thereto:

So this is Ms Kate's latest piccy, so it seems. Does she really have a wasp-waist like that? Or is it photoshopped? Recollections of her late Mum-in-law's struggles with anorexia come to mind...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

she seems a nice person and that is the big thing for me, least she is not trying to out compete the kardashions, I hope they skip charlie boy and move straight to william and kate.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Pebble wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 11:46am she seems a nice person and that is the big thing for me, least she is not trying to out compete the kardashions, I hope they skip charlie boy and move straight to william and kate.
I don't. I'm a republican and Charles taking over will hasten the end of the monarchy in the UK. And I think enduring Charles' interference for his personal benefit will speed the move away from monarchy meaning long term benefits.

Ian
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I don't like the woman at all.Typical brainwashed Stepford wife royal.
I agree they should skip Charles for some young blood but I'd go for Harry and Meghan.William and Kate are just too old school royal for the 21st Century.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re the Grand Old Duke, I see the spin - perhaps that should be "the spin I see" - is now that he will settle to avoid damage to the monarchy.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Seems Andrew is not reliable when it comes to paying debts according to agreements
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/11/prince-andrew-sell-swiss-chalet wrote:Andrew and his ex-wife had agreed with Rouvre that Chalet Helora in the ski resort of Verbier in the Swiss Alps, would be paid for in instalments. But Rouvre claimed the two failed to make the final £5m instalment.

Initially Rouvre agreed the final instalment could be deferred until December 2019, with interest accruing, but the Yorks still did not honour the agreement despite repeated demands, it was reported.

Rouvre launched legal action in May 2020 in Switzerland to recoup the £5m plus interest owed to her. Andrew is said to have finally paid late last year.
Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Prince Andrew fails to get US civil case dismissed

In his decision, Judge Kaplan said the agreement "cannot be said" to benefit the Duke of York.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59871514
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 1:38pm Re the Grand Old Duke, I see the spin - perhaps that should be "the spin I see" - is now that he will settle to avoid damage to the monarchy.
I'd bet my Swiss chalet on him now settling.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 2:49pm Prince Andrew fails to get US civil case dismissed

In his decision, Judge Kaplan said the agreement "cannot be said" to benefit the Duke of York.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59871514
The decision on the agreement:
https://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/sites/def ... 200900.pdf

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 3:16pm
thirdcrank wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 1:38pm Re the Grand Old Duke, I see the spin - perhaps that should be "the spin I see" - is now that he will settle to avoid damage to the monarchy.
I'd bet my Swiss chalet on him now settling.

Jonathan
I'll put my Swiss chalet on your Swiss chalet. The very last thing he'll want is more unsavoury details of his private life made public.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

If he'd have quietly settled right at the start then it would not have been continually over the headlines for months. Settle before press gets excited and only a few republicans like me would have been "shouting" about it frustrated that nobody was listening. All his squirming and loophole attempts have done is put the entire thing in the public eye for ages so if he settles now it will be widely perceived as an admission by many (who will ignore all the legalese which will probably remain confidential anyway).

Ian