The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

The "Royals" Thread

Post by mercalia »

Questions have been asked about the royal couple's use of private jets and their environmental impact, especially after Prince Harry recently said on Instagram: "With nearly 7.7 billion people inhabiting this Earth, every choice, every footprint, every action makes a difference."

sussexroyal.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49408915

The total for the two flights would therefore be 19.8 tonnes, equivalent to more than three times the annual carbon footprint of the average Briton, or 58 times the annual emissions of someone in Lesotho, where Prince Harry went on his gap year and helped found a charity.

I am sure every one here dont mind not using their car so that the "prince" can have a good time?
And as for Elton john who loaned his plane in one case. <expletive deleted>
Last edited by mercalia on 10 Mar 2020, 1:14pm, edited 5 times in total.
Psamathe

Re: Poor Old Harry

Post by Psamathe »

I would agree. Either they just "don't get it" (don't understand what present themselves as being concerned about) or they don't care. Either way reflects badly and makes me even more convinced we should no longer tolerate these parasites.

Ian
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The wealthy Elite will continue to travel to their save the planet green conferences .. off set by payments made by their huge wealth while they use green and climate change mantras to deprive us of any freedom to travel or live in a sustainable way ...
We see ER's use of middle class members to challenge the low income families on the sink estates to save the planet as they go home to middle class suburbia in their BMW's and Chelsea Tractors ... or just flying in for the event ... the rich and their wealthy chums will use climate change as an anvil on with to strike at the poor
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Two faced is the phrase that comes to mind.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:The wealthy Elite will continue to travel to their save the planet green conferences .. off set by payments made by their huge wealth while they use green and climate change mantras to deprive us of any freedom to travel or live in a sustainable way ...
We see ER's use of middle class members to challenge the low income families on the sink estates to save the planet as they go home to middle class suburbia in their BMW's and Chelsea Tractors ... or just flying in for the event ... the rich and their wealthy chums will use climate change as an anvil on with to strike at the poor

I never knew citizen Harry was a member of Extinction Rebellion. I presume you meant ER to stand for that, not Elizabeth Regina.
I never saw you as a class warrior.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

"All that glisters is not gold".
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Or Glod ... as our Terry would say ....
Be more Mike.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I think we all know what a pointless scam carbon offsetting or whatever Sir Elton spent his money on is. Buying the same trees several times over and making a few people more rich.
John
Cyril Haearn

Re: Poor Old rich young Harry

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Objection to thread title, he is rich and young
Could he be an ambassador for the BLF, Beard Liberation Front?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Two faced is the phrase that comes to mind.

+1
And the rich get richer selling any old crap that comes to hand to the poor irrespective of the consequences to the planet.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Elton replies

Elton John claimed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s private jet use was ‘carbon neutral’. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... GTUK_email

Seems like Charley Boy is just as guilty as Harry BOy

The world of carbon offsetting flights – where you can pay to have the equivalent of your emissions “cancelled out” by projects that lower or remove emissions, such as reforestation or renewable energy

So aslong as you are RICH its ok? Is even worse?
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Aug 2019, 9:14am, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:Elton replies

Elton John claimed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s private jet use was ‘carbon neutral’. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... GTUK_email

Yeah,right.
Sing me another one,just like the other one,sing me another one do!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

They're such easy targets, aren't they?

I don't hold any great brief for any of them, but royal-bashing threads remind me of comedians who, stuck for any other way of getting a laugh, throw in a bunch of knob jokes.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Audax67 wrote:They're such easy targets, aren't they?

I don't hold any great brief for any of them, but royal-bashing threads remind me of comedians who, stuck for any other way of getting a laugh, throw in a bunch of knob jokes.

But if someone in a public position preaches one thing while doing the opposite, are we supposed to just excuse that? This certainly means I'll be switching off next time he goes on about environmental matters. I'd rather listen to someone who does what they say.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2019/08/21/smaller-family-means-smaller-private-jets-fewer-limousines-says-prince-harry/ wrote:SMALLER FAMILY MEANS SMALLER PRIVATE JETS, FEWER LIMOUSINES SAYS PRINCE HARRY
Following a defence of the Prince’s jet-setting by Sir Elton John, Harry said a smaller Sussex family would be able to fly around the world in more environmentally friendly private jets – such as a Cessna or a Legacy 650E – much smaller than the ones used by other members of the Royal family who have larger families to accommodate. Only having two children would also mean their fleet of Discoveries and Freelanders would be much smaller than those of the rest of the Royal family and their use of grandma’s Phantom VI would be kept to a bare minimum.
A smaller family would also mean the cost of renovating their next weekend retreat would only cost the taxpayer a few million ‘here and there’ and probably not as much as the £2.5m they splashed on the yoga floor at Frogmore Cottage. The Prince also said that the Sussex children could expect to wear the same clothes at least two or three times before throwing them out although he was not expecting to cut back on the £100,000+ their fashion conscious mum spunked on new frocks last year.

Ian