The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 11:01am
Psamathe wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 10:56am I happened to be watching BBC News @6 yesterday(?) and was really surprised at how negative the report they had on this "documentary" was. something of a take-down with reporter using terms like "her claims do not stand-up to scrutiny". I've always found the BBC very very pro-royal so if BBC were critical ...

Ian
Is not attacking the documentary defending the rest of the Firm, and so pro-royal?
Good point. I suppose it's just them being critical of anything associated with Royalty (and a Prince is certainly associated with Royalty).

I suppose I expected them to focus on "no major revelations" and "re-raises points Harry has raised in the past" rather than direct criticism of the validity of content.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 9:39am
Pebble wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 10:54pm She's not even black, she appears to be as white as I am, I doubt she has even the foggiest idea what true racism is, it just seems a convenient bandwagon shes jumped on and profits out of. A more loathsome couple I can't imagine.
Megan's mother, Doria Ragland is standing behind her in this picture, one of many pictures which show her with members of the royal family.

royals.jpg
Thanks Vorpal. Hopefully our poster is rather better informed now.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

swagman wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 11:20am BBC very Tory, very middleclass.
Just watch question time or newsnight to see.
All the more worrying that I know several people who claim that the BBC's political bias is somewhat left of Karl Marx
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I did some fact checking on the H&M programme, and indeed far from being the ethical pioneers who abolished slavery, we, the tax payer, only finished paying off in 2015 the loan the government took out to compensate all the British slave owners in 1833!!!

Then having learned our lesson - not - we bail out all the bankers in 2008, a debt that will be paid off in another 200yrs one supposes
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Pebble wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 10:54pm She's not even black, she appears to be as white as I am, I doubt she has even the foggiest idea what true racism is, it just seems a convenient bandwagon shes jumped on and profits out of. A more loathsome couple I can't imagine.
Megan's mother, Doria Ragland is standing behind her in this picture, one of many pictures which show her with members of the royal family.

royals.jpg
Yes, I think we all know Megans mother is black, but your picture clearly shows Megan is not.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Pebble wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 12:34am

royals.jpg
Yes, I think we all know Megans mother is black, but your picture clearly shows Megan is not.
If she were as 'white' and racially pure as you claim she is, would she and her marital status to the Prince be the subject of some of the most vile and desperate racism and racist vitriol in recent years?

The Daily Hate (Mail) for instance: QED
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I'm astonished that anyone could deny the racist element in the 'Sussex's' saga :cry:
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Dingdong wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 5:37am

royals.jpg
If she were as 'white' and racially pure as you claim she is, would she and her marital status to the Prince be the subject of some of the most vile and desperate racism and racist vitriol in recent years?

absolute nonsense, the couple were adored when they first come on the scene, things only changed when we got to know them.

Yes i'm sure there are some foaming at the mouths racist who have a problem, but equally we have those from the looney left who use her in some sort of 'race baiting' game so that they too can scream out their own hatred. If you disagree with harry and megan than clearly you are a vile racist and it needs to be "CALLED OUT"
pwa

Post by pwa »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 11:09am
The extreme hatred these people inspire is quite remarkable - far more remarkable than anything they've said or done.
To some extent they are bringing it on themselves now by raking it over and over. It is more than a grievance to them. It is their chosen profession, the career path they have taken to fund their plush lifestyle. Most families deal with arguments in house, but Meghan and Harry do it miked up, in front of cameras. For money. That isn't endearing.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Pebble wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 8:43am
Dingdong wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 5:37am

absolute nonsense, the couple were adored when they first come on the scene, things only changed when we got to know them.

Yes i'm sure there are some foaming at the mouths racist who have a problem, but equally we have those from the looney left who use her in some sort of 'race baiting' game so that they too can scream out their own hatred. If you disagree with harry and megan than clearly you are a vile racist and it needs to be "CALLED OUT"
One of the issues on Social Media seems to be that there are some who just love to bully and will pick on anything they can to just be nasty. If they see somebody with a different skin colour they might start on that or if they are not anorexic start on that or if they have acne start-up about. I suspect it's not easy to distinguish between racist bullying and other forms of bullying. None of it is right.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 8:59am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 11:09am
The extreme hatred these people inspire is quite remarkable - far more remarkable than anything they've said or done.
To some extent they are bringing it on themselves now by raking it over and over. It is more than a grievance to them. It is their chosen profession, the career path they have taken to fund their plush lifestyle. Most families deal with arguments in house, but Meghan and Harry do it miked up, in front of cameras. For money. That isn't endearing.
I would agree. I think there would be more sympathy if they were involved in the campaigns to stop unwarranted stop-and-search or fighting for the Windrush victims, etc. rather than harping on about themselves and their family. Racism is never right but I would wonder if people suffering bricks through their window, Police harassment, worse health outcomes, etc. are facing the same challenges as a very wealthy privileged family living a more than comfortable lifestyle with teams of security ...

It does sometimes appear that they will only tell their story on their terms without any scrutiny and for significant payments.

Ian
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Pebble wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 12:34am Yes, I think we all know Megans mother is black, but your picture clearly shows Megan is not.
Meghan is mixed race.She is quite light skinned but that does not take away her black heritage.Your posts seem to have a slightly racist undertone.
The Royals have a bit of history of thinly veiled racism too :roll:
pwa

Post by pwa »

PedallingSquares wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:10am
Pebble wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 12:34am Yes, I think we all know Megans mother is black, but your picture clearly shows Megan is not.
Meghan is mixed race.She is quite light skinned but that does not take away her black heritage.Your posts seem to have a slightly racist undertone.
The Royals have a bit of history of thinly veiled racism too :roll:
Every white family, my own included, has a history of racism. Most white families have seen that racism decline over recent decades, from one generation to the next. I think I have ditched any racist views I may have had when I was a child, and my own kids were brought up to see people as people and are very quick to speak against racism when they see it. But we all have it in our family history. The Royals will be just the same. I'm not concerned with what they were in the past. I care about what they are now. I think they have moved with the times, but who knows?

As for Meghan, I welcomed a mixed race person becoming a Royal. It seemed to me to be a refreshing moment. I never really thought about her race when I saw her, and it didn't occur to me that we would end up using the word "race" so much when talking about her. It is a pity that it all turned so sour.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:25am Every white family, my own included, has a history of racism. Most white families have seen that racism decline over recent decades, from one generation to the next. I think I have ditched any racist views I may have had when I was a child, and my own kids were brought up to see people as people and are very quick to speak against racism when they see it. But we all have it in our family history. The Royals will be just the same. I'm not concerned with what they were in the past. I care about what they are now. I think they have moved with the times, but who knows?

As for Meghan, I welcomed a mixed race person becoming a Royal. It seemed to me to be a refreshing moment. I never really thought about her race when I saw her, and it didn't occur to me that we would end up using the word "race" so much when talking about her. It is a pity that it all turned so sour.
That, really.

There is a huge, transformational change coming with the new generations, for which I have enormous hope. My daughter sees people, various. She has loved moving to her new school which is hugely more diverse than her old village school.

I also hope we can leave behind some of the 'not even black' comments on the thread which display much about the attitudes of posters.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

"You can't have a bun and your ha'penny" used to be heard in these parts, which pace Marie Antoinette seems to equate to "You can't have your cake and eat it" in posher parts of the realm.

I can't help feeling Harry wants maximum publicity on his terms and privacy otherwise. That's not how it works.