** The Climate Change Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: ** The Climate Change Thread **

Post by Oldjohnw »

My comment above was only partly in jest.

I used to be a daily red meat eater - how I was brought up. I have reduced this over the last 15 years or so to once or twice a week. I have increased cheese consumption to make up - not nutritionally buy for pleasure.

I don't have milk except occasionally in sauces. I often use soya milk for this - which if not European has its own problems.

I find it all very difficult.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

There is a potentially massive impact of Covid-19 on Climate Change.

The 2016 UK agreement based carbon emissions over time (from international flights) on the 2020 emission levels (i.e. to not exceed 2020 levels). But with so many airlines stopping flying probably for a significant part of 2020, that benchmark will be significantly lower than had things continued without Covid. So future carbon emissions will be set at lower levels than would otherwise have been the case.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You have to wonder if our attitude to the planet and our exploitation has been to blame. We encroach more and more on territory where wild animals live for farming and housing.

Hopefully any potential link will be identified if true and addressed. My fear is it would, as so often, be supressed.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date.

"In a landmark victory for climate justice that comes as the UK faces its hottest day on record, the High Court has ruled that the government’s Net Zero Strategy breaches the Climate Change Act.":
https://friendsoftheearth.uk/climate/go ... ric-ruling

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 7:24pm NB date.

"In a landmark victory for climate justice that comes as the UK faces its hottest day on record, the High Court has ruled that the government’s Net Zero Strategy breaches the Climate Change Act.":
https://friendsoftheearth.uk/climate/go ... ric-ruling

Jonathan
The date is 18-JUL. What am I missing??

Anyway, worthwhile post, this is significant stuff!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It was just a warning that there was a gap since the previous post to avoid any misunderstanding.

And thankyou.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Another of the Johnson Tory goverment's porkies?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I see both Badencoch an Mordaunt have both received funding from a billionaire climate denying Australian businessman:-https://youtu.be/-dCCuLrisN0
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Will climate get better if we stop buying products of far east manufactures, will the wheels turn more slowly.

Pandemic / WW3 is more likely.
And will certainly fast forward the wishes of the activists.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

This is an interesting series, with ex-oil company employees blowing the whistle on how they systematically discredited climate science for 40 years, even though the oil companies were actually among the first to realise that fossil fuel was changing the climate.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... 1-1-denial
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

axel_knutt wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 9:35pm This is an interesting series, with ex-oil company employees blowing the whistle on how they systematically discredited climate science for 40 years, even though the oil companies were actually among the first to realise that fossil fuel was changing the climate.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... 1-1-denial
I think watching that will just depress me!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I imagine that if we try, we can come up with a way of measuring the effect on any endevour of the accumulated funds at the disposal of those opposed to it. So for example, if a railway is planned to make its way through two local areas, one poor and the other, well to do, there ought to be some mathematical formula that tells the planners which route is more likely to succeed.
Thus I note with some despondancy the level of the profits that the fossil fuel industry have been and continue to make daily... see here
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The issues around Climate Change are truly depressing. Even if politicians do ever get round to addressing the climate change issues their responses seem to narrow that it may provide a brief stop-gap but wont address the underlying problem which is our (or maybe the industrialised) relationship with our environment. So right now our politicians are limiting their response to "anything to reduce climate emissions, even if that causes environmental damage ..." and even failing to meet that.

And the drive to meet climate change targets without actually changing our behaviour nor what we currently do does not really help keep our planet suitable for us to live on e.g. biofuels (stop extracting hydrocarbons but ignore the environmental damage from biofuel production).

In addition to reducing climate change causing pollution we need to change the way we regard our environment.

Ian
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Psamathe wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 11:52am The issues around Climate Change are truly depressing. Even if politicians do ever get round to addressing the climate change issues their responses seem to narrow that it may provide a brief stop-gap but wont address the underlying problem which is our (or maybe the industrialised) relationship with our environment. So right now our politicians are limiting their response to "anything to reduce climate emissions, even if that causes environmental damage ..." and even failing to meet that.

And the drive to meet climate change targets without actually changing our behaviour nor what we currently do does not really help keep our planet suitable for us to live on e.g. biofuels (stop extracting hydrocarbons but ignore the environmental damage from biofuel production).

In addition to reducing climate change causing pollution we need to change the way we regard our environment.

Ian
It's not just about climate, it's about the overconsumption of the resources that we're dependent on. The capacity of the atmosphere to serve as a dustbin for carbon is just one of many such resources.

An analysis of how past civilisations collapsed through the overconsumption of the resources that sustained them.

An analysis of why people compete to consume more than they need in the pursuit of status.

How low status increases mortality and morbidity.

How status competition is a zero-sum game, and a potential way to escape it.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's too many human beings,we're too successful at breeding and living long lives for our's and the planet's good.
W H Auden