** The Climate Change Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Climate Change Thread **

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:14am
Pebble wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:08amOne of the best ways to stabilise or even reduce population is to more evenly distribute wealth, as soon as populations become wealthier they become better educated and stop having as many children.
Yes. Only looking at historical population growth is very misleading.
Why,is population growth suddenly going to stop or decrease?
Very recent historical population growth appears to say otherwise.
The other big factor with an effect in the same direction is female education and emancipation.

Jonathan
Agreed but it it doesn't appear to be happening fast enough,that appears to be due to men and retarded religious thinking and belief.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble world population is currently 8 billion,not 7 billion
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:35am Pebble world population is currently 8 billion,not 7 billion
indeed, 7.96 billion of as of NOW, could pass that 8 billion by the end of the year, my mind seems to have stuck at 7 billion, that is an extra billion of us in the last 10 years. (more than 10% growth in 10 years)

But all the same, you get my drift from my earlier post, nearly all of the damage that is being inflicted on our planet has come from the relatively small number of wealthy people (like us in the UK) and if we distribute wealth more evenly (which we should) then the rest f the worlds population will start consuming like us and that won't be good from an enviromental point of view.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:32am
Pebble wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:08amOne of the best ways to stabilise or even reduce population is to more evenly distribute wealth, as soon as populations become wealthier they become better educated and stop having as many children.
No, it isn't expected to suddenly stop or decrease. But the fractional rate of growth is expected to decrease. This has a large effect on the expected population at any future date. Rosling explains this very well.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:59am
reohn2 wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:35am Pebble world population is currently 8 billion,not 7 billion
indeed, 7.96 billion of as of NOW, could pass that 8 billion by the end of the year, my mind seems to have stuck at 7 billion, that is an extra billion of us in the last 10 years. (more than 10% growth in 10 years)

But all the same, you get my drift from my earlier post, nearly all of the damage that is being inflicted on our planet has come from the relatively small number of wealthy people (like us in the UK) and if we distribute wealth more evenly (which we should) then the rest f the worlds population will start consuming like us and that won't be good from an enviromental point of view.
I should apologise for not mentioning that I agree with it :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 9:10am
reohn2 wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:32am
No, it isn't expected to suddenly stop or decrease. But the fractional rate of growth is expected to decrease. This has a large effect on the expected population at any future date. Rosling explains this very well.

Jonathan
I confess to not knowing who Rosling is,but s/he is correct,though I suspect the damage is already done and will continue.
As Pebble points out,the richer peoples(us) are the main contributers to the problem with our insatiable consumerism,if that weren't bad enough the poorer nations with huge populations,ie;India,China are following our lead in that regard.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Pebble wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:08am One of the best ways to stabilise or even reduce population is to more evenly distribute wealth, as soon as populations become wealthier they become better educated and stop having as many children.

The rub is once they become wealthier they start to consume more of the planets resources. Out of the 7 billion of us, it is probably less than half a billion (the wealthy ones like us) who are destroying the planet with our wanton consumerism.
This may be the first post on this thread with an insight that is new to me! I mean both paragraphs are well-known - but I hadn't considered the push-pull effect, or the implication that there might be a "Goldilocks" ideal wealth :-)

Would you like to tell us which nation is closest to Goldilocks wealth?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One bit of potentially good news (from the US)
Though few details as to how watered down the bill actually is. Quite amazing how somebody with such vested interests can be elected and cause such damage.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Frosty claims there's no climate emergency:- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... power.html

EDIT:- just to add:- https://youtu.be/nv6RCxYIxSQ
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Whilst our new Gov. might say the words about sticking to climate change targets they really don't seem to want to actually take any steps towards those targets. They probably think the Climate Targets are something that Daggers just has to lecture the rest of the World about, not something we have to address).
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/07/climate-minister-britons-not-be-told-use-less-energy-winter-nanny-state wrote:‘Not a nanny state’: minister says Britons will not be told to use less energy
People will not be told to use less energy this winter, the climate minister has said, adding: “We’re not a nanny state government.”

Graham Stuart’s remarks come amid reports No 10 has blocked a public information campaign to encourage people to consume less.
https://news.sky.com/story/new-oil-and-gas-licensing-will-boost-economy-and-energy-security-says-jacob-rees-mogg-12714100 wrote:Government defies climate warnings by proceeding with new North Sea oil and gas exploration
The regulator NSTA is preparing to issue more than 100 new licences, in spite of criticism the move will do little to lower bills or improve security in the near term, and runs counter to efforts to curb global heating.
Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Compare and contrast our do-nothing government's approach with the French urging solidarity and energy-saving in order to avoid the blackouts now risked in the UK:
https://www.france24.com/en/europe/2022 ... to-germany

Smart meter finally installed here. It will take up to two weeks for it to connect fully, I'm told. Then if the government is correct that the market will provide and our supplier does start offering things in return for avoiding peak times or shifting usage to peak renewable generation times, I'm ready to implement it on our smart home controller.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote: 1 Mar 2020, 2:30pm
reohn2 wrote:Kwackers
I take your point and it would work presently but I need to repeat 'what if everyone did it'?
If they did to charge their e- whatever off peak the price would soon rocket,it's the consumerist/capitalist supply and demand system,more demand costs more.
Off peak prices will rise - sure. Eventually they'll settle at a price below peak but with enough incentive to make it worthwhile making the effort.
I think someone has goofed when deciding how the government guarantee applies to split peak/offpeak tariffs. Currently our economy 7 offer is stated on our account dashboard as 44p/kWh day and 14p/kWh night. If that's true, it's astonishing and worth preheating the living room in the early morning.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Not only is Sunak (currently) not bothering to attend COP27 (despite UK holding the presidency) but also
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/nov/01/uk-criticised-for-failing-to-pay-300m-in-promised-climate-funds-ahead-of-cop27 wrote:The British government has come under fire for sending a “strong negative signal” ahead of the Cop27 climate summit in Egypt, by failing to make $300m (£260m) of promised climate finance payments.
A separate $20.6m pledge the UK made to the adaptation fund has also yet to be paid.
Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 1 Nov 2022, 12:05pm Not only is Sunak (currently) not bothering to attend COP27 (despite UK holding the presidency) but also
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/nov/01/uk-criticised-for-failing-to-pay-300m-in-promised-climate-funds-ahead-of-cop27 wrote:The British government has come under fire for sending a “strong negative signal” ahead of the Cop27 climate summit in Egypt, by failing to make $300m (£260m) of promised climate finance payments.
A separate $20.6m pledge the UK made to the adaptation fund has also yet to be paid.
Total chaos. The Minister responsible is removed from the Cabinet. The King is stopped from going by the Prime Minister. Then it's up to him. Then it isn't. The Prime Minister isn't going. But then he might.

Many things in politics are difficult. This isn't.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Nov 2022, 12:08pm
Psamathe wrote: 1 Nov 2022, 12:05pm Not only is Sunak (currently) not bothering to attend COP27 (despite UK holding the presidency) but also
Total chaos. The Minister responsible is removed from the Cabinet. The King is stopped from going by the Prime Minister. Then it's up to him. Then it isn't. The Prime Minister isn't going. But then he might.

Many things in politics are difficult. This isn't.
The Prime Minister is now going. Of course.

Jonathan