Diplomatic Immunity?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Post by thirdcrank »

Harry Dunn: Parents reach resolution in civil case against suspect

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-58642224

I take it this is US speak for "out of court settlement."

In other news, I see that the Foreign Secretary is climbing on the bandwagon and giving her support

Harry Dunn: Liz Truss raises case with US at United Nations Assembly
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-58635771
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The US version is similar to the British. They usually say 'settled out of court'. My guess is that they didn't use those words because some aspect of the agreement remains open, or pending information from the UK.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks for that. I was assuming that the word resolution was in quotes in the BBC report because it had a specific meaning in the US legal system. I'll take it as a euphemism for settling out of court.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"US citizen Anne Sacoolas is due to face criminal proceedings in the UK charged with causing Harry Dunn’s death by dangerous driving."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... gers-death

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 5:57pm "US citizen Anne Sacoolas is due to face criminal proceedings in the UK charged with causing Harry Dunn’s death by dangerous driving."

Jonathan
She won't appear in person.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

francovendee wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 6:19pm
Jdsk wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 5:57pm "US citizen Anne Sacoolas is due to face criminal proceedings in the UK charged with causing Harry Dunn’s death by dangerous driving."

Jonathan
According to her lawyers, no agreement has yet been reached that she will appear at all.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DaveReading wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:28pm
francovendee wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 6:19pm She won't appear in person.
According to her lawyers, no agreement has yet been reached that she will appear at all.
And even if she does she'll face no penalty other than a virtual slap on the wrist!
It's all politricks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

My brother pointed out to me that the Anne Sacoolas and Julian Assange cases are linked.
It is a Quid Pro Quo with the americans. Anne Sacoolas gets prosecuted for a driving offence and Julian Assange gets thrown to the wolves.
Assange didn't have any friends amongst government ministers anyway but with this deal the government get some good publicity for themselves and boy do they need it. Or maybe instead of government I should have written Foreign Secretary?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I don't think Assange should have friends in government. He's a suspect in a crime in the US and as such I'd hope he'd get no more help from any government than the law provides for. No big conspiracy it's just an allegation to be prosecuted/defended from. He's got enough money and supporters for good legal representation leave that to them not government imho.

He's polarising in that he's either a free speech hero above the law or he's an annoying **** who you really wish he'd get dragged to USA so he's their problem. Either you have no trust in legal systems or you do or you don't give a flying either way just want him and his supporters to disappear.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If the courts decide to allow extradition is the legal system suddenly flawed because you disagree with the decision? When they give a verdict you like such as a few bloody noses to boris's government is the system not flawed?

I think you have to watch for mistakes but also need to accept that sometimes heavily observed cases like Assange 's might just be right according to the law then accept it.

As to linking cases I like the outcome if there's justice in both cases but not very right to link cases. Iran right to link that dual nationality woman's freedom with a UK government debt for example? Dangerous precedent
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jonathan
@DaveReading

Can you link to where her lawyers have said that? (I'm not doubting they've said it and I'm not surprised, but it would be interesting to know the detail of what they said.)

There have been various recent developments in the use of IT to conduct remote hearings, perhaps the most obvious being when a defendant is in prison and it saves a round trip in a prison van. Normally, courts can only hear summary prosecutions in the absence of the accused when they have no power to compel their attendance. Causing death by dangerous driving is a serious indictable offence. I had assumed that some legal wheeze had been devised to get round this, but perhaps not.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

6.5_lives_left wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 12:35am My brother pointed out to me that the Anne Sacoolas and Julian Assange cases are linked.
It is a Quid Pro Quo with the americans. Anne Sacoolas gets prosecuted for a driving offence and Julian Assange gets thrown to the wolves.
Assange didn't have any friends amongst government ministers anyway but with this deal the government get some good publicity for themselves and boy do they need it. Or maybe instead of government I should have written Foreign Secretary?
A very good point and not one that most people would connect the two cases,
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 7:20am If the courts decide to allow extradition is the legal system suddenly flawed because you disagree with the decision? When they give a verdict you like such as a few bloody noses to boris's government is the system not flawed?
I don't fully understand the process but I thought it was the Secretary of State who makes the final extradition order and do I trust her decision? ... NO.

But maybe I'm wrong about the process?

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 11:58am
Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 7:20am If the courts decide to allow extradition is the legal system suddenly flawed because you disagree with the decision? When they give a verdict you like such as a few bloody noses to boris's government is the system not flawed?
I don't fully understand the process but I thought it was the Secretary of State who makes the final extradition order...

But maybe I'm wrong about the process?
You're not:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/extradition ... erritories

Jonathan
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 9:43am
@DaveReading

Can you link to where her lawyers have said that? (I'm not doubting they've said it and I'm not surprised, but it would be interesting to know the detail of what they said.)
"CIA wife Anne Sacoolas may not participate in Harry Dunn hearing"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anne ... -hrtghh9wz