what bottle cage for underside of down tube on a world tour?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: what bottle cage for underside of down tube on a world tour?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ah I've put my specs on and I see "camelback" bottles.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

dim wrote:
I also opted for these as from what I read, they are better quality than the Velo Orange (but saying that I had the velo orange on my Surly LHT (sold now) and I never had any problems

Maybe you are right there, as I was just about to take a punt on the Velo Orange retro cage and then read this review on Amazon

'it shattered after about a month of road use. Avoid, either the engineering or the materials are flawed.'

Not the sort of thing I want for a world tour! Aside from the retro cage Velo Orange do another cage with a full surround deign called the Velo Orange Mojave Bottle Cage
https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-O-Mojave-Bot ... B01498XPNC

What do people think of these Velo Orange Mojave Bottle Cages for the down tube? They are a little more expensive but they get very good reviews and seem to accommodate a large bottle e.g. 32oz Nalgene or 40oz Kleen Kanteen.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Mine's on an extension bracket with room for a 980cc bottle, there isn't even room for 600cc with the cage mounted directly on the bosses. The cages are from Halfords, and about 19 years old.

Bottle Bracket.JPG
dim

Post by dim »

found an old photo of my Surly LHT with the Velo Orange cages and Kleen Kanteen bottles: this pic was still in early stages of the build .... I ended up fitting racks etc etc

vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

Great picture dim. I have to say they do look very nice, like a work of art. Did you ever use them on the down tube?

What mudguards were you using on the surly?
dim

Post by dim »

vegan dog wrote:Great picture dim. I have to say they do look very nice, like a work of art. Did you ever use them on the down tube?

What mudguards were you using on the surly?

never bothered for a bottle cage on the down tube as I had 4 pannier bags and could store extra water in the bags

mudguards were Gilles Berthoud and saddle was Gilles Berthoud Aravis (very good saddle and much more comfy than a brooks leather)... the photo shows the standard tyres that came with the bike but after the photo, I switched them for Marathon Supreme

ended up selling the bike for a lot of money (3 1/2 times more than what I spent) .... a lady flew to the UK from Australia and paid cash as soon as she saw it :D

I should have kept the saddle though
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

Just to let everyone know, I went for the Velo Orange Mojave Bottle Cage in the end. It's an oversized cage and is designed to fit a 32oz Nalgene or 40oz Kleen Kanteen bottle. I have not purchased the bottle yet, as I will have to play around and see exactly what the maximum size is that my bike will hold without causing interference to the front wheel. I may even take the cage to the supermarket and see what different shapes and sizes of bottles fit.

What I liked about the cage is that it has 5 mounting holes, so I have a little flexibility with placement. This will be useful when getting something to fit in a tight space. The enclosed design should also be good for securely holding a bottle under the down tube. I also like the stainless steel construction and the positive reviews that it gets.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-O-Mojave-Bot ... B01498XPNC

I will provide an update when I have fitted it and know what works.
Last edited by vegan dog on 1 Dec 2019, 11:45am, edited 1 time in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Did I miss it, what is your bike?
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

simonhill wrote:Did I miss it, what is your bike?

Santos Travelmaster - it's a dutch bike with the old steel frame. I think Santos now only make aluminium frames. Took me a while to find a nice steel frame bike with a Rohloff.
pq

Post by pq »

I've used a titanium King cage for years in that position with no problems, including thousands of miles on very rough dirt roads. They're expensive but very good. They also do a cheaper steel version which I've never used.
One link to your website is enough. G
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

I saw those King cages which look very nice quality, however they don't look as large as the VO ones. Fingers crossed my VO cage works out!
nsew

Post by nsew »

pq wrote:I've used a titanium King cage for years in that position with no problems, including thousands of miles on very rough dirt roads. They're expensive but very good. They also do a cheaper steel version which I've never used.

I use steel King cages. They’re rock solid. Not sure why OP didn’t go with the large volume Nitto.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

nsew wrote:Not sure why OP didn’t go with the large volume Nitto.

Nitto don't seem to do a large volume. The VO one appears to be much larger than the Nitto, as it can carry a 1.5l Nalgene. Also the all surround design looks a little better for supporting a bottle under the down tube. But saying that I could be mistaken! I will update with a review when I have tested out the VO.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

As for bottles, does anyone know of any bottles in 1.5L made from stainless steel. I want the type that tapers towards the spout end. KLEAN KANTEEN do a 1.2L but not a 1.5l. Seen a few bottles in aluminium in 1.5l size, but I really want stainless steel. Any ideas?
pq

Post by pq »

I have a different approach to carrying more water.

I use 3 frame mounted bottle cages, but I don't use huge bottles - they're awkward and difficult to accommodate on a compact frame. When I'm touring (and I tour in some very remote places) I very rarely need more than 3 normal bottles of water. For the occasions when I do, I use a 10L water bag, strapped across my panniers. Usually that only happens when I've decided to look for somewhere to camp, so I fill up with enough to cook and wash. The bag also doubles as a shower if I hang it in a tree and takes up very little space when not in use. Not an answer to the OPs question, but an alternative to the difficulties of using very big bottles.
One link to your website is enough. G