Quick unclog of mudguards?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mark a.

Quick unclog of mudguards?

Post by mark a. »

It's the time of the year when leaves and mud really like to clog the mudguards during my regular cycle route (a bit of road, a bit of woodland, mostly canal towpath). It's not major clogging, just annoying with the sound and a bit of extra resistance. So when I get back home I'd like something quick and simple to get rid of the worst of the gunk as I put the bike away.

What do people do as a daily unclog technique? I'm not talking about getting out the pressure washer or leaving things spotlessly clean - if it requires significant effort it won't get done. I was thinking along the lines of a giant pipe cleaner, bottle brush or something like that.
Brucey

Re: Quick unclog of mudguards?

Post by Brucey »

hosepipe.

Washing winter road salt off bikes is a really good idea.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Brucey wrote:hosepipe.

Washing winter road salt off bikes is a really good idea.

cheers

Do they salt towpaths and woodland tracks?

My quick technique is simple and can easily be adapted. If it's really clogged i'll drop the wheel out and poke out with a stiff twigg or screwdriver. If it's not so bad, leave the wheel in place. At that point a swill with a hosepipe might be useful but it's not essential.

Joking aside, Brucey is right about washing off roadsalt and it never hurts to give the brake track on your rims a quick wipe down either.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use a steel tyre lever
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hosepipe.
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

andrew_s wrote:I use a steel tyre lever

So do I. A steel tyre lever is my standard method. I keep one in my pocket as the rail trail I use on the commute is very wet at this time of year.

I used a hosepipe yesterday as the whole bike was filthy. I also have had success with a washing up sponge jammed between tyre and guard and moved around using the wheel.
jezer

Post by jezer »

A teaspoon works well.
Power to the pedals
grufty

Post by grufty »

An old toothbrush works well if you have the clearance.
PH

Post by PH »

Some of the mud (Let's call it that rather than think too hard about what might be on some of those farm lanes) round here sets like concrete. I like to clean it off properly before it sets. Hosepipe if you're lucky enough to have somewhere to use one, bucket and sponge with the wheels out would be my second choice, lazy option for me is to stop at the garage on the way home and have a quids worth of jetwash.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Thanks all. You're probably all correct in that the hosepipe is the best option (before the gunk dries) but in reality I think I'll make use of a tyre lever or similar scraper type thing.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hosepipe is my preferred way but in freezing conditions isn't always a good option if your hosepipe's frozen up or if you're putting the bike away in a cold place.That said in freezing conditions the mud and leaves tend not get picked up the same so the problem is less.

Muddy conditions above say 5degrees tends to cause the problems hilighted so :idea: tape or ziptie or use a toestrap to fix a bottle brush to the tyre,turn the wheel through the mudguard and hey presto clean!
The brush may need some trimming with scissors for a good fit but once the system is established would be very quick to use.
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Dec 2019, 1:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Hosepipe!
Another new word for those of us across the pond!!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Woodtourer wrote:Hosepipe!
Another new word for those of us across the pond!!

What do you call it?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mick F wrote:Hosepipe.

Unlike a hosepipe, a tyre lever also works when you get off that muddy bridleway back on to the road, and realise your wheels aren't going round as freely as they ought to.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I keep two curved sticks at certain places on my commute. Either end of a mile of gravel covered in Larch needles. Always stop for a clear out (of different sorts :roll: !) there. Not the most useful tip for many of you I suspect.