Quick unclog of mudguards?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
niggle

Re: Quick unclog of mudguards?

Post by niggle »

reohn2 wrote:
niggle wrote:You missed out the five minutes pumping the thing up ;-) I used one for a little while, but eventually the experience motivated me to fit the outside tap that my wife had been demanding for her gardening activities.

I included the pumping in the 5minutes,which is more when it's getting empty,the one I bought holds 8litres and I've been using between 2 and 3 litres per wash so I could have bought a smaller unit and filled it after each use.
I've been using the hosepipe for years to rinse off the bike after a mucky ride but I have to reel out about 7m of hose and back in again everytime so thought a sprayer could work.
I was right it does,and the plus is I can take with me ready filled when drive/ride withnthe MTB,wash the bike down after the ride and it can blow dry on the rear bike rack whilst driving home :wink:

Naturally I fitted the tap just where I needed :D , with a short length of pipe permanently attached just long enough for bike hosing duties, with an adapter on the end that connects either to a spray nozzle for cleaning the bike, or to a hose reel for the gardening nonsense :wink:
Also I don't drive/ride as have given up the car.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Another thing I've found the sprayer useful for is washing my mucky cycling shoes whilst I'm still wearing them :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Debs

Post by Debs »

Is the sprayer operational one handed while holding a wiggling squirmy bike with other?

sometimes i don't think my bike wants a cold shower at the end of a mucky ride :D
niggle

Post by niggle »

reohn2 wrote:Another thing I've found the sprayer useful for is washing my mucky cycling shoes whilst I'm still wearing them :)

Another thing the hosepipe spray nozzle is even better at, including deeply treaded hiking boots clogged with mud, oh and for when said hiking boots have picked up doggy 'messages' when out walking the dog (not left by my dog but other people's dogs :evil: ). Cleaning results are totally forensic but you do have to watch where the spray off is going...
niggle

Post by niggle »

Debs wrote:Is the sprayer operational one handed while holding a wiggling squirmy bike with other?

sometimes i don't think my bike wants a cold shower at the end of a mucky ride :D

Yes as you can leave the tank on the ground and just operate the spray nozzle with one hand, plus the one I had was also equipped with a shoulder strap.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

niggle wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Another thing I've found the sprayer useful for is washing my mucky cycling shoes whilst I'm still wearing them :)

Another thing the hosepipe spray nozzle is even better at, including deeply treaded hiking boots clogged with mud, oh and for when said hiking boots have picked up doggy 'messages' when out walking the dog (not left by my dog but other people's dogs :evil: ). Cleaning results are totally forensic but you do have to watch where the spray off is going...

I have an old washing up brush hung up outside for any stuborn in-tread mud on shoes :wink:
The sprayer and washing up brush are great for washing off overshoes too :D
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote:Is the sprayer operational one handed while holding a wiggling squirmy bike with other?

Yes that's the beauty of a soft more gentle spray,it doesn't go everywhere you don't want it to :)
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:

Yes that's the beauty of a soft more gentle spray,it doesn't go everywhere you don't want it to :)

Our (cheap-as-chips) hose-pipe nozzle has about 6 spray-settings, and of course you can adjust pressure at the mains tap. Fine for bikes, bike-boots, walking boots and the ultimate test; CX rider (and shoes/bike) returning from a late December race.

Meanwhile I've bought a Minoura rear-wheel stand (from LBS) to use with our hose-pipe (full work-stand just lives in the garage) - pretty good on VERY quick test at dusk today. Will try to review properly ...

p.s. I can hang my bikes on our washing-line post, but that's probably design-specific. And it is quite high-up - bottom bracket is about eye-level :) Not ideal, but an option ...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Our (cheap-as-chips) hose-pipe nozzle has about 6 spray-settings, and of course you can adjust pressure at the mains tap. Fine for bikes, bike-boots, walking boots and the ultimate test; CX rider (and shoes/bike) returning from a late December race.

Meanwhile I've bought a Minoura rear-wheel stand (from LBS) to use with our hose-pipe (full work-stand just lives in the garage) - pretty good on VERY quick test at dusk today. Will try to review properly ...

p.s. I can hang my bikes on our washing-line post, but that's probably design-specific. And it is quite high-up - bottom bracket is about eye-level :) Not ideal, but an option ...

I've used a hose pipe for years with multi spray head on it like you mention,but it can bit a bit of a faf to be run out to use and reeled back in after.
The sprayer was a £13 experiment which has proved a great success I'm pleased to report :) .
If you wish to use your hosepipe good for you,the sprayer is a simple and cheap alternative and isn't a compulsory purchase,you do realise that don't you?
BTW I don't need a rear wheel bike stand to wash my bikes down,as I explained up thread I simply lean them on the fence,wash one side down then turn it round and wash the other.Simples :)
The sprayer also has the advandage of being portable so can be filled with water at home,carried in the car and used when I go car assist cycling as I don't have a hosepipe long enough for that :wink:
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mike Sales wrote:
Woodtourer wrote:Hosepipe!
Another new word for those of us across the pond!!

What do you call it?

Just hose, or maybe garden hose or water hose. In North American English, hosepipe sounds like a pipe that you connect a hose to.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

What do you call it?

Just hose, or maybe garden hose or water hose. In North American English, hosepipe sounds like a pipe that you connect a hose to.

Nooooo,those are stockings!
W H Auden
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

:D
Instant thread drift.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattsccm wrote::D
Instant thread drift.

Don't you love it?
From bike washing to knitwear in one easy move :D
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vorpal wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

What do you call it?

I suppose "hosepipe" is a sort of tautology.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Debs

Post by Debs »

Mike Sales wrote:I suppose "hosepipe" is a sort of tautology.

It will be taut if the hosepipe is not long enough :lol: