How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

24degC outside and 24degC inside.
All windows and doors open.

Cloudless skies, and have been all day as per the last couple of days, and forecast like this for the rest of the week.
Mick F. Cornwall
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Mick F wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 10:54am We had a dry autumn and winter, and now we're having a dry summer.
The weeds - brambles/bracken/thistles etc - have grown well, and so have the trees and shrubs, but not most of the grass.

Where are they getting the moisture from, clever things?! Most of the brambles up here have gone to seed, although strawberries did exceptionally well.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 8:24am
Cowsham wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 7:59am We could build a pipeline from Ulster to Kent and sell you some water.
More transfer of water from existing sources within England and Wales could have a big effect.

https://www.internetgeography.net/topic ... in-the-uk/

Jonathan
I had not known the Kielder London pipline was being thought about. Big engineering project but doable as gravity fed (which is a must considering the weight of water)
Scottish engerneers managed a near perfect uniform drop 10" per mile between Loch Katherine and Glasgow 150 years ago. Kielder to London works out at about 25" per mile.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Drake's Leat.
Constant gradient for miles. Built in the late 15thC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake%27s_Leat
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 10:03am Drake's Leat.
Constant gradient for miles. Built in the late 15thC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake%27s_Leat
Fifteenth or sixteenth?

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

What did the Romans do for us?

Well, for themselves actually.

They built some superb aqueduct runs over very great distances achieving uniform drop across very challenging terrain. A well-known one in the U.K. is at Dolaucothi gold mine, but they created much longer ones elsewhere. I’m not sure they were the first though, I suspect that there were much earlier ones.

Weather in middle England? Spanish, and farmers are harvesting very early with the ears on the crops much smaller than usual. The price of flour is about to go up, I reckon!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you read Richard Harris's novel Pompeii, an aquaduct features large in the hero's escape. A gripping read!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Qanats, underground aquaducts, are interesting.
First milenium BCE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat
A qanat or kariz or foggaras is a system for transporting water from an aquifer or water well to the surface, through an underground aqueduct. Constructed in Iran, Iraq and numerous other societies, this is an ancient system of water supply which allows water to be transported over long distances in hot dry climates without loss of much of the water to evaporation.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 11:03am Qanats, underground aquaducts, are interesting.
First milenium BCE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat
A qanat or kariz or foggaras is a system for transporting water from an aquifer or water well to the surface, through an underground aqueduct. Constructed in Iran, Iraq and numerous other societies, this is an ancient system of water supply which allows water to be transported over long distances in hot dry climates without loss of much of the water to evaporation.
A foggara system is central to the plot of of one of the Modesty Blaise thrillers.

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

30miles today, down the lanes to the coast and along to Torpoint to join the ferry over to Plymouth, then a couple of beers and the train back to Gunnislake.

20odd degC for much of the ride, peaking at 29degC. Stopped in the shade many times, especially on the hills.

The train ride was the worst! :shock:
34degC in there, and even with all the windows open, it was like a greenhouse. No draught, no cooling airs, just stifling and boiling.
Horrible in the extreme. :evil:
Mick F. Cornwall
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Too hot.
I hate it.
Dog hates it.
Early and late walks but it's still warm for him.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Hot.

I was cycling this morning and early afternoon and I’d swear there was no shade anywhere.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

vest has come off this afternoon -
irc

Post by irc »

Lovely. 25 or 26C in the middle of the day. Cloudless skies. Still lovely and warm walking the dogs 10 minutes ago. Perfect weather.