How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Cowsham »

Yes NA the weather forecast is up the left.

Here it's sunny but there was a hard layer of frost on the roads -- melted by some badly needed rain. :roll:
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Heavy rain (97% chance "you don't say?") and a moderate breeze.

Says the BBC weather app.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

VinceLedge wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 9:36am Beautiful cold (3c) day here in the Borders , off for a 40miler with a pal shortly, give the ice a chance to melt on the roads first!
Suppose I'm 30 miles from the actual Border (England/Scotland), but too cold/icy for a ride :yesterday. Superb day of blue skies & sun, but slips on pavements/being obliged to walk the grass verge instead convinced me it was too icy (Nb. Not looking forward to the rain - but the fact that the temperatures will be 8 degrees warmer today, is welcome)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

gbnz wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 8:36am
VinceLedge wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 9:36am Beautiful cold (3c) day here in the Borders , off for a 40miler with a pal shortly, give the ice a chance to melt on the roads first!
Suppose I'm 30 miles from the actual Border (England/Scotland), but too cold/icy for a ride :yesterday. Superb day of blue skies & sun, but slips on pavements/being obliged to walk the grass verge instead convinced me it was too icy (Nb. Not looking forward to the rain - but the fact that the temperatures will be 8 degrees warmer today, is welcome)
I decided best on the static bike for now -- a slip on the ice could mean another hospital stay --- NO TO THAT !

also too many people in cars ripping around trying to find a last minuit Xmas gift going too fast for the conditions.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

We went about 1030 and the sun and the road salt had got rid of most of ice, it didn't feel too cold in the sun either!
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

VinceLedge wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 9:21am
We went about 1030 and the sun and the road salt had got rid of most of ice, it didn't feel too cold in the sun either!
I ride and drive regularly on both the Scottish and English sides of the border - road salt must be a rare commodity south of the Border.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I ride and drive regularly on both the Scottish and English sides of the border - road salt must be a rare commodity south of the Border.
[/quote]

SBC are pretty good at getting the roads gritted, to be fair.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Weather today here is damp, cold, grey and miserable.
Funny how the forecasters don't say that.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 11:46am Weather today here is damp, cold, grey and miserable.
Windy. com says you should be into double figures.
Valley effect?
Stagnated cold air lying?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cowsham wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 8:53am
I decided best on the static bike for now -- a slip on the ice could mean another hospital stay --- NO TO THAT !
+ 1.(Didn't/haven't you had broken ribs? ). Haven't done my ribs since August '20 now, but had too many ambulances in past 3 years, so more care required!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 11:54am
Mick F wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 11:46am Weather today here is damp, cold, grey and miserable.
Windy. com says you should be into double figures.
Valley effect?
Stagnated cold air lying?
Having looked at the Met Office website this morning ........ we are in The Tamar Valley Mining District .......... at 9/10am they showed that it was 10degC and a bit of a breeze.
The BBC website lists us as Tavistock and at 10degC with a moderate breeze.
My plan was to go for a bike ride to Tavistock including a 20mile circuit.

Got Moulton out and left it outside whilst I got my stuff together. I noticed the outside temp was 4degC and it was damp, grey, miserable and not a breath of wind. Foggy and misty in "The Tamar Valley Mining District".
I gave up as it was horrid out there and brought the bike back in as it had started to rain.

I still needed to go into Tavistock, so I took the car.
In Tavy, it was cold and damp and grey and miserable. Not a breath of wind. Car showed the outside temp as 6degC.

Outside here as I type, it is now 10degC and not a breath of wind. It is still damp and grey and miserable and misty.
Met office say this.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 16.05.52.png
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Here outskirts of Taunton its 10 deg C outside but only 8 deg C in our unheated annexe. That seems to stay at 8 deg C regardless.
Stove is warming up our sitting room presently 19.8 deg C.
Its damp and a bit dismal

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Still rather damp, drear and mild than the violence of the present USA weather.
Scary stuff. Especially on a bike. :shock: :shock:

The temperature gradient across the active front is/was extraordinary.
Florida was in the mid 20c degrees and the central states something like minus 5c.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

gbnz wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 1:34pm
Cowsham wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 8:53am
+ 1.(Didn't/haven't you had broken ribs? ). Haven't done my ribs since August '20 now, but had too many ambulances in past 3 years, so more care required!
Yep -- and with the hospitals so stressed or maybe to get that way in a few weeks I wouldn't want to be there. There was a covid scare the time I was in and 6 nurses had to isolate. A couple of nurses from near the border arrived to replace them. Not to mention the fear of covid itself especially since breathing was a challenge already.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Unusual low cloud/fog being pushed along by a S breeze this morning in North Wales. Sun is forecast to appear later...we will see