How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: How's your weather?

Post by RickH »

I went for a final play in the snow on my bike yesterday before the main thaw started today. I rode to the top of Rivington Pike for the first time in ages (&, possibly, the first time in snow).

The ride with some photos is on Strava here - https://strava.app.link/mXN7koQewGb

No sign of more wintery weather in the forecast into the start of February so I'll take the studded tyres off the wheels they're on for now.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Got to about minus 2c today, back to minus 6c now. We also had 3-5cm of fresh snow this morning.

Met a friend for some ice fishing on the village lake today. More an excuse to have a barbeque and eat sausages and muffins out on the ice! 21cm of ice on our lake, which is less than many of the smaller lakes.

A thaw is coming from Monday, but it'll take ages for the lake ice to melt. More likely that the snow on the top will thaw off and then refreeze.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Gentle drizzle and a gentle breeze here.
10degC outside.

16:00 today.
Weather warnings? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 16.02.33.png
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 16.02.02.png
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

I can trump that 61mph here on the Somerset levels but it's worse on the coast. Chucking it down. They opened the floodgates yesterday as the water had receeded allowing the roads to reopen.
Screenshot_2024-01-21-16-22-24-325.jpeg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

It's just been reported that there's a tree across the road blocking all traffic in and out. We've got enough milk to last us a few more days so stocked up for now. :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

Here on the South Wales coast it feels like just another winter storm, not pleasant but nor is it doing much damage. We have had a lot worse in the past. But we have the log burner going in case the electric goes off, as it has with storms sometimes.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

electric been off and then back on twice in the last hour

home made wind measuring device (incorporating a bike computer) has recorded gust of 61.2mph biggest since Jan 2022 when we had 61.5
but along way short of our biggest gust ever of 94.4 dec 2013
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The forecast was for 90MPH winds but I think from experience of up here on the hills it's gusting over 100MPH everything is moving around outside and walking across the yard feels dangerous. I'd tied everything down earlier. It's very rough out there right now.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hearing the news regarding the weather up and down the UK, it was horrendous. :shock:

Here, it's been peaceful and calm. This is the benefit of living in a north/south steep valley with a strong westerly airflow. It blows over the top of us. It drizzled a bit, but that's all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Electric off last night but back on about 4am -- trees down everywhere.
I am here. Where are you?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Little upon which to comment in Nottingham! Bright, breezy, here. Get a ride before tomorrow's forecast v heavy rain.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Couple of smashed pots again in our wind tunnel courtyard. Araldite for one, repot in plastic for the other. Roll on car boots for some more replacements.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

After getting almost a meter of snow since Christmas (30ish cm last Wednesday), we are at 6 degrees & had a little rain overnight, so everything is slush & ice.

I'm working from home today, but will have to go out this afternoon to take Youngest to a cafe to talk about work experience that he is supposed to do next week.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rjb

Post by rjb »

Vorpal wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 10:32am After getting almost a meter of snow since Christmas (30ish cm last Wednesday), we are at 6 degrees & had a little rain overnight, so everything is slush & ice.

I'm working from home today, but will have to go out this afternoon to take Youngest to a cafe to talk about work experience that he is supposed to do next week.
you've put us all to shame moaning about our weather. :lol:
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Back to high winds and rain after a few hours break! Power just back on after line blown down earlier.