How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
geocycle

Re: How's your weather?

Post by geocycle »

@cugel, alas the cafe in Horton in Ribblesdale has been shut for a few years due to family health reasons. Shame as it was a real focal point for walkers and cyclists. Next best option is Middle Studholme Farm south of the village.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

geocycle wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 5:58pm @cugel, alas the cafe in Horton in Ribblesdale has been shut for a few years due to family health reasons. Shame as it was a real focal point for walkers and cyclists. Next best option is Middle Studholme Farm south of the village.
That's sad to hear. I was last there in 2018, before moving to West Wales in early 2019.

Over the decades living in and around Lancaster, I must have walked up & down Pen y Ghent a dozen times or more, from various approaches and in all sorts of weather. In the 1980s I was also unwise enough to go 'round the Three Peaks circuit on a bike - a reconnoitre with a clubmate entered for the event some weeks later. Once was enough!

I do miss the Pennines, the Dales and The Lakes - although there's still lotsa West Wales areas to explore - unknowns just yet whereas all the NW England places became "as well-known as the back of me hand". A wonderful area to live if you're a walker and a cyclist.
Horton cafe carpark
Horton cafe carpark
Pen y Ghent 1
Pen y Ghent 1
Pen y Ghent 2
Pen y Ghent 2
Pen y Ghent 3
Pen y Ghent 3
Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Dare I say it- but every cloud has a silver lining... I mean the weather, not the caff.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Direbloodybollockal best describes ours: strong gusty wind, driving rain and 10/10 cloud. Last week I got three rides and 256 km in, this week zilch.

Tomorrow looks better, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's been very wet here but we've needed it and it's replenished the Rivington reservoir system to the brim,with many rivers the same,wish some one would turn the taps off though :?
We've also had some pretty windy days in the past couple of weeks too.
Soon be Summer :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 11:29am It's been very wet here but we've needed it and it's replenished the Rivington reservoir system to the brim,with many rivers the same,wish some one would turn the taps off though :?
The ladywife took advantage of the ten minute sunny period this morning to do a quick bit of garden-wandering, listing the many jobs to do when the boggy bits debog a bit. She swore she could smell Spring-like odours in the rapidly passing air!

On the way back from the Fforest Brechfa dogwalk, there was a bright corner of someone else's garden with daffodils blooming therin! Oh joy, that 21/12 has been passed and the days are lengthening.

Cugel, pumping up tyres and lubricating chains.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Was dangerous to walk across the yard yesterday you'd either get drowned or blown away or both.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had to curtail the dog-walking this morning.

I was wearing wellies, but the flooded road was only an inch or so short of overflowing into my socks.
The dog climbed onto the top of the bank out of it, and I waded through the water.

We turned off left down to the river bank, only to find it flooded over and even doggie couldn't get through, and I'd have needed a wetsuit or maybe waders. We turned back for home .......... back through the flooded road.

Meanwhile, ironically, despite the couple of weeks of heavy rain and floods, we still have a hosepipe ban! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cugel wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 12:40pm
reohn2 wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 11:29am It's been very wet here but we've needed it and it's replenished the Rivington reservoir system to the brim,with many rivers the same,wish some one would turn the taps off though :?
The ladywife swore she could smell Spring-like odours in the rapidly passing air!
I saw my first roadside, flowering daffodils of 2023 yesterday. This is despite only (from memory) 4 days containing sunshine since November.
Chapeau, Mother Nature!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet, wet.

And windy.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The first snowdrops are flowering in our garden. Meanwhile its always wet....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Spring is here.

Birds are singing and pairing off, snowdrops and daffodils are in flower, we've had little or no snow, and very little frost and ice.
Trees and bushes are in bud, and the temp hasn't dropped below zero much at all.

What happened to winter?
Not that I want it, and not that I'm complaining at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I understand that there is snow somewhere. :shock:
No snow here, and no frost or ice. In fact, it's been cold today, but sunny and dry ........... the driest and nicest it's been for weeks. Long may it continue.

We have still have flooded roads, and have had constant rain, yet still we have a hosepipe ban ........ as I've said.
Other than that, it's very possible that I may have my 1st bike ride of 2023 tomorrow!
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Yes. Tother end of the Duchy has snow. Bad luck, or good. I’ll let you make your mind up. Either way, makes a change to rain.
0D0D97E3-B114-4FBF-94A6-8FAD9343DFE0.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Be careful out there. It's been really icy here in Somerset. The waterlogged roads were skating rinks this morning and resulted in several accidents. The whole of the southwest is under an ice and possible snow warning until tomorrow morning. Bike rides are out of the question until it warms up and probably starts raining again. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D