How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Pebble »

Cowsham wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 8:50pm Cold now needed a coat on top of my jumper.
I've got my vest back on
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 8:49am This was yesterday at 11am ................................... in 22degC heat. :lol:

IMG_1408.jpg
Beautiful bike -- is that a rear dynamo hub?
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
It's a 10sp Triple Moulton with a 3sp SA making 90 ratios. Indexed DT shifters for the Triple 10sp and a bar-end friction shifter for the 3sp SA. Complicated, but it usually remains in direct drive 2nd on the SA. Use 1st for steep hills and 3rd for powering down long hills. 34/48/61 chainset with 12-30 10sp cassette.
Bottom ratio is 1st/34/30 = 15.6" and top ratio is 3rd/61/12 = 123.7" :D

Front dynohub.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 11:35am :D
It's a 10sp Triple Moulton with a 3sp SA making 90 ratios. Indexed DT shifters for the Triple 10sp and a bar-end friction shifter for the 3sp SA. Complicated, but it usually remains in direct drive 2nd on the SA. Use 1st for steep hills and 3rd for powering down long hills. 34/48/61 chainset with 12-30 10sp cassette.
Bottom ratio is 1st/34/30 = 15.6" and top ratio is 3rd/61/12 = 123.7" :D

Front dynohub.
Wow that's a load of gears -- I see from a retailer they are Retrofitting the Alfine 8 hubs to derailier type bikes -- would you not be tempted to do that to yours?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It wasn't the number of combinations that I wanted, but the overall range.
The biggest chainwheel I could buy easily was 61t, and when the smallest sprocket was 11t it wasn't too bad at the top end, but I still wanted more.
61/11 with the small wheels gave me 101 gear inches.
Trouble is with 11t cogs, they wear out way before the rest of the cassette. I replaced the 11t four times!!

So, I went from 11-28 to 12-30, but the top gear was rubbish at 92.5 gear inches. The bottom gear was 21 gear inches, but I still wanted lower. Yes, I could have fitted a wider cassette, but the rear mech limitations combined with the size of the chainwheels was quite an issue.

Advice on here was to fit a SA that would take a cassette. Excellent idea! :D
Theoretically, I could downgrade to a double chainset, but I'll stick with what I have. It works well, and I see no reason to change to anything else.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Winters back -- or maybe just our normal summer -- wind and rain.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

pwa wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 4:49am
Biospace wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 5:22pm
......Of course setting light to oil, gas and coal to provide us with energy is having some effect on our climate, but the anthropogenic part of the carbon cycle is roughly a fifth that of the natural carbon cycle. It's how we're affecting the natural cycle - the unusual way we're farming included - which should be gaining more attention than burning stuff, daft as that is from a pollution point of view.

Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are about double what they were a couple of hundred years ago. Partly due to emissions, but also deforestation. And the last time CO2 levels in the atmosphere were as high as they are now was millions of years ago, not the few thousand years you refer to when you talk of what the Romans got up to, or even the last few glaciation cycles. And CO2 is not the only man-made greenhouse gas.

The climate scientists who are so convinced about anthropogenic global warming are the same people who teach students about natural climate change. It is their area of expertise. They know all about it, because they themselves wrote the books about natural climate change. And they still insist that what we have here is something different, something on top of natural change, something that we have some control over. I don't think anyone is claiming that burning stuff is the only thing we are doing that creates the problem. Deforestation has long been cited as a major part of the problem. So has methane from agriculture.

But the bottom line is that we now know that we have reached a point where there are enough humans doing stuff to the atmosphere to actually change the climatic environment we have to live in, and to an extent that we ought to take it seriously and modify our behaviour to ensure the Earth does not become a more difficult place to inhabit. What we have had over the last week has been a taster. Another sign that the anticipated change is happening. It is not a glimpse of the end point of that process. If we could say it will stop when we get to us having a nice warm climate where we can grow grapes like the Romans did, we could adjust to that. But nobody is saying it will stop with that. And even this little taster is putting in doubt this year's wheat harvest in the UK. Water supplies for crops in the East of England are getting low. Farmers are looking at the lack of rainfall and worrying.

In 1911, 1923, 1932, 1933, 1976, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2006 and 2016 the UK saw temperatures above 34C, in 1911 it was 36.7C and 1932 35.6C. In 1976 we had week after week of high temperatures, yesterday and today have been pretty fresh here! It could be argued the amount of buildings and tarmac which create urban heat islands could, alone, more than account for extra couple of degrees we saw recently compared with the relatively green and leafy 1910s and 20s.

There are very few who dispute that Man's behaviour (and proliferation) is affecting our weather and climate, but while there are a lot of 'green' taxes and poIiticians talking about impending doom, I see relatively little evidence of change on a level required to match the amount of damage we've done - and continue to do. Consumption increases, so levels of pollution and AGW increase.

The UK boasts about how it has cut emissions by switching to burning gas rather than coal and installing wind turbines, but in reality the largest single factor in this has been losing our manufacturing base to Germany and the Far East.

Suggesting last week's two days of intense (for Britain) heat is a sign of possibly out of control AGW makes as much sense (which is some sense, I'm not suggesting this is non-sense btw!) as saying that the intensely cold winter of 1962/63 was a sign that the interglacial period we're in was fading back to much more glaciation, with half of Britain uninhabitable and the rest like Siberia. If we look at the records, without AGW we're due to return to this sort of climate any time now as interglacials typically last 10k years, with 70-90k years of glaciation before the next warmer period might be expected to return.

It's far too late for our behaviour not to affect climate for hundreds of years to come, even if we stopped burning fuel for energy tomorrow. In saying this, don't assume I'm suggesting it's pointless to do nothing. The terrible levels of pollution alone should be more than enough reason to stop using oil as we do. That fossil fuels will likely run out later this century, at current consumption levels, is probably less of a factor of change than the relative price of renewables to conventional energy.

It's worth reminding ourselves the planet has a constantly changing climate which is affected by changes in the planet's various geometrical anomalies, volcanic activity and other powerful, natural forces as well as Man. Also that Europe experienced a mini ice age for a few centuries until the late Victorian era and that our planet's normal (80%-ish of the time) state of being is not in a glacial period as we are at present.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 5:33pm
Biospace wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 5:22pm...
And the Romans were cultivating vines in the North of England...
What's the furthest north for which there is reasonable evidence?

Thanks

Jonathan

Lincolnshire.

I seem to remember being told it was expected there would be more evidence found even further North as and when more studies take place, given the distribution of vinus vinerae plants growing wild today, place names and other such pointers.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Two cool nights in a row which are just what I needed to catch up on sleep.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Biospace wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 10:29pm
Biospace wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 5:22pm...
And the Romans were cultivating vines in the North of England...
Lincolnshire.

I seem to remember being told it was expected there would be more evidence found even further North as and when more studies take place, given the distribution of vinus vinerae plants growing wild today, place names and other such pointers.
Yes, I think that it's Lincolnshire. The others are speculative.

I don't think that Lincolnshire is in "the North of England".

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Parts of Lincolnshire are north of Sheffield and Manchester, its in the North.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Lovely today.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 10:22am
Biospace wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 10:29pm
Lincolnshire.

Yes, I think that it's Lincolnshire. The others are speculative.
Jonathan
Speculative, as was all Roman viticulture in Britain not so very long ago. As learning and techniques have progressed speculation has hardened, which added to some accidental discoveries has led to a few investigations which have revealed the vineyards did exist. You might speculate, given the Romans' enjoyment of wine and with the warmer climate, vineyards existed into Yorkshire and possibly beyond.

I don't think that Lincolnshire is in "the North of England".
You might suggest LIncolnshire is neither North, South nor Midlands but from this Northerner's perspective it's thought of both culturally and geographically as somewhere 'apart', but very much Northern.

I doubt many would think of somewhere close to Grimsby, as this Roman vineyard was, as being not in the North.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Lincolnshire is in the East, not the North.
Lincolnshire is just up from Norfolk.

Anywhere east of Reading, is London. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

al_yrpal wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 10:40am Parts of Lincolnshire are north of Sheffield and Manchester, its in the North.

Al
As someone born in the North It’s down south but known as going to the East.
Think it’s officially East Midlands.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info