How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Cowsham »

-- Got out today briefly just down to town to deliver some small presents and get some shopping about a couple of hours

Nice in dry today - cold at about 3 -- 4 degrees by the time I headed for home

trouble with cold weather is having to keep tramping on to keep warm so you have to be careful the way to spend your energy. Or you can go slow wrapped up in heavy clothing.
I am here. Where are you?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Very strange weather here in the far south west. It has been dry for over a week with a very noticeable 25 to 40mph cold east wind for all that time. The weather charts shows widely spaced isobars rather than tightly spaced which is normal for high winds and that weather system is sat over the vast majority of the UK. I spoke to some friends in the east of England who said that it’s not windy there and our own Mick F, fifty miles east of me, says the same so it’s a bit of a mystery where this weather is coming from. :?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Breezy today, and bone dry. Breezy yesterday too.
7degC out there now, as it has been for the past few days but generally we've had a flat calm.

Just come out of the wood with cut logs and sitting with a well-earned cuppa. Chilly out there.
Mrs Mick F has the washing line full and it's all getting a good wafting. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

peetee wrote: 21 Dec 2021, 9:18am I spoke to some friends in the east of England who said that it’s not windy there a
I'll agree with that- the fen hills have flattened recently, but it's been grey, mizzly and misty. Warm enough to sit outside the pub on Sunday (we'd been selling at a busy craft fayre, so thought we'd try and avoid passing it on in case we'd caught the lurgy).
Colder today, and a trace of blue overhead this am but still no wind.

I bet it's waiting for 5pm and for me to head home
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I've been in the woods on the HFT course the last 2 mornings and although dull,dank and cool there's been zero wind.It's actually been enough just wearing a t-shirt with soft shell top.It feels much warmer than the 4° the cars sensor is reading.I think the lack of any wind makes all the difference.The next 2 days look brighter so I think a pre-xmas ride will be in order 8)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Its been windy in south Devon too even though forecast is a breeze.
Out last night 5 degrees an windy, but my course is shielded with hedges so only ever need shorts :mrgreen:
Sweating on way home.

Of late I have now fallen back into meltdown mode (medication), last night after two hours I started to fail and had to walk up last hill coming home :(

The new meds are same class as old ones, and are giving same side effects.
Normally I am flat out on three hour training rides, last night no exception, average HR 80%, peak 92%, both of max heart rate.
But some 1-2 mph down on best.
That manifests itself to not generating enough heat and I abnormally go cold as my HR drops off near end of ride.
My chest has gone cold once this year even though my knees are toast :P

New meds different class (not sure what class, hope they are not some I have been on before, GP's only go back 10 years on their computer so I might be in a heap of trouble) doc suggest wait two weeks till side effects drop off then start new stuff with half dose, OK if I can stand the headaches :x
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Seem to be stuck in interminable freezing gloom here, 3 longish rides this week, Sunday zero to +1°c 40 mile of drizzle, Tuesday 30 mile with temp between -2 to zero, persistent low cloud and mist, but least the road surface was dry. Another 30 mile Wednesday, -2 to +1, low grey gloom. But no wind, near complete silence when I stopped, not even a sheep bleating, or a distant car - rare to get such silence - wonderful really

headed down into a derelict looking England (seriously though, amazing how many signs that storm took out)

francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Much warmer today after -5 deg yesterday. Rain forecast later but as my mileage and fitness have reduced I'll be putting on the rain gear and getting on the bike this afternoon..
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 11:48pm Seem to be stuck in interminable freezing gloom here,
+ 1. Have to admit the bikes been off road, too cold in Northumberland. Bizarre, no frost as such yet, but cold beyond belief!

So walked instead. And car's? Had to take a 1.5 mile shortcut following the road, coming off the moor yesterday. Traffic levels and noise were unreal - a moor road, equivalent of 480 cars an hour, felt like walking along a motorway hard shoulder
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

gbnz wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 8:23am
Pebble wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 11:48pm Seem to be stuck in interminable freezing gloom here,
+ 1. Have to admit the bikes been off road, too cold in Northumberland. Bizarre, no frost as such yet, but cold beyond belief!

So walked instead. And car's? Had to take a 1.5 mile shortcut following the road, coming off the moor yesterday. Traffic levels and noise were unreal - a moor road, equivalent of 480 cars an hour, felt like walking along a motorway hard shoulder
Is that the rothbury road? fast horrible busy road that, the long straight sections encourages cars to go as fast as they possibly can. Used to ride that road regularly as a child when I lived their many years ago - would be very reluctant to cycle on it now.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How to enter the degree symbol:
viewtopic.php?p=1656376#p1656376

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 9:51am How to enter the degree symbol:

Jonathan
did the degree symbol I entered earlier come out wrong ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 9:58am
I wasn't looking at anything specific. : - )

Yours seems fine to me, but the C should be capitalised.

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 10:16am

Jonathan
just thought I would check, I sometimes wonder when using these none standard keyboard symbols that it is only me who is seeing them as I am. (i use the alt0176) I don't see why they should look different, but then again computers do often baffle me.

Anyways, back to the weather, another grim day here, 1.5°C above with rain, thankfully I have got my miles in for this week so won't have to venture out on the bike today - no more cycling till boxing day :D
Last edited by Pebble on 23 Dec 2021, 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 10:28am
Jdsk wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 10:16am

just thought I would check, I sometimes wonder when using these none standard keyboard symbols that it is only me who is seeing them as I am. (i use the alt0176) I don't see why they should look different, but then again computers do often baffle me.
Very wise.

The most common reason for them looking different is a change in font between the poster's and the reader's systems. The image doesn't get transmittted, only a numerical value which must be interpreted on receipt.

As with the masculine ordinal indicator upthread!

Jonathan

PS: The only dangerous effect that I can recall is with "tables" where the layout depended on the use of a nonproportional font... and the interpretation depended on the layout.