How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Pebble »

Pebble wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 5:30pm Potentially our 3rd warmest day ever with a 29.6ºC

our previous hottest days over the last 15 years
only take the readings once per week hence all the days being a sunday
that was a seriously wacky day back in July 19 when we had the 31.3, I don't think it was particularily forecast it just sort of happened, turned out to be edinburghs hottest day ever.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49108576

Keeping my fingers crossed we break it tommorow
we have broken our previous record by a whopping 4°

35.3°C at around 3pm this afternoon. will be interesting to see the official figures as I suspect mine to be wrong (although my measurements are normally quite good)

No sunshine today and no wind, just weirdly hot, very very unpleasant.
700c

Post by 700c »

Just had a shower of rain in Chepstow.
It's been quite pleasant this morning, not particularly hot.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Science and numbers are fine, but they often don't represent reality especially when it's the weather. We focus so much on air temperature but humidity, air movement and heat radiation are just as important if not more so.

So, today feels twice as hot as yesterday. Going out for a walk through vegetation formed in a mild, damp climate seemed other-worldly with the North African feel from lunchtime onwards, as did the lack of dust and smells of camel dung and other exotic aromas. It's just beginning to cool a little now, but the house still feels near icy cool when you come in.

Windows were shut at 10 this morning, blinds down, aluminium foil over the West-facing folding glass doors. That made a colossal difference compared with yesterday, not only was the glass cool to the touch on the inside compared with hand hot, but the lack of radiation pouring into the room means high 20s rather than mid 40s. A couple of 6" USB powered fans make it very pleasant.

I'd meant to cut up bike boxes to cover the windows with as well as the al foil, but on its own for just a day it's perfectly fine.

al_yrpal wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 8:25am Ok, it was a bit hot yesterday but I remember 1976, digging drains with a pickaxe for my new house on the mountain in Wales, the sweat pouring off my nose. It went on for 2 months! The bed of the Thames cracked and next day they appointed a Minister for drought! This spell is nothing, the temperature may get slightly higher but, at the moment its just a short spell created by freak weather conditions.
I also remember Charlie and Diana's wedding whilst we were camping in the Dordogne 1981, the temperature was 44 degrees for about 4 days.
Hysterical BBC and newspaper headlines written by youngsters who werent there methinks

Al
And the Romans were cultivating vines in the North of England, it was likely warmer then than now, before the cooling which started in the 530s and continued right through until the last century.

Of course setting light to oil, gas and coal to provide us with energy is having some effect on our climate, but the anthropogenic part of the carbon cycle is roughly a fifth that of the natural carbon cycle. It's how we're affecting the natural cycle - the unusual way we're farming included - which should be gaining more attention than burning stuff, daft as that is from a pollution point of view.

Yes, it is hotter now than any day in '76 but this heat is for two days. Of course trends are up, because that's how it is coming out of a cooler part of an interglacial period. It's possible, even likely, that AGW is tipping the balance and prolonging this warm part of a glacial era, which given the top half of Britain will likely be covered in ice once gone, isn't entirely a bad thing.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Biospace wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 5:22pm...
And the Romans were cultivating vines in the North of England...
What's the furthest north for which there is reasonable evidence?

Thanks

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Raining here today -- a bit chilly when the wind going past on bike so put a long sleeved cycle shirt on. Got about 10 miles and the rain comes on not too bad so just carried on. Got home after a 3 hour ride -- couldn't believe the scenes of England on the news -- forest fires etc.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 5:13pm
uwidavid wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 5:08pm... why does the degrees sign not work? I am used to typing ASCII 248 - using the alt key...
What device and operating system are you using, please?
The degree symbol is ASCII 176, not 248. 248 is "Latin small o with slash".

On Macs with British keyboards you can get the degree symbol with Option-Shift-8. On iOS devices with British keyboards you can get it from the numeric keyboard by holding down the 0 key and selecting from the pop-up menu.

There's a discussion upthread:
viewtopic.php?p=1661499&#p1661499

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Biospace wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 5:22pm
......Of course setting light to oil, gas and coal to provide us with energy is having some effect on our climate, but the anthropogenic part of the carbon cycle is roughly a fifth that of the natural carbon cycle. It's how we're affecting the natural cycle - the unusual way we're farming included - which should be gaining more attention than burning stuff, daft as that is from a pollution point of view.

Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are about double what they were a couple of hundred years ago. Partly due to emissions, but also deforestation. And the last time CO2 levels in the atmosphere were as high as they are now was millions of years ago, not the few thousand years you refer to when you talk of what the Romans got up to, or even the last few glaciation cycles. And CO2 is not the only man-made greenhouse gas.

The climate scientists who are so convinced about anthropogenic global warming are the same people who teach students about natural climate change. It is their area of expertise. They know all about it, because they themselves wrote the books about natural climate change. And they still insist that what we have here is something different, something on top of natural change, something that we have some control over. I don't think anyone is claiming that burning stuff is the only thing we are doing that creates the problem. Deforestation has long been cited as a major part of the problem. So has methane from agriculture.

But the bottom line is that we now know that we have reached a point where there are enough humans doing stuff to the atmosphere to actually change the climatic environment we have to live in, and to an extent that we ought to take it seriously and modify our behaviour to ensure the Earth does not become a more difficult place to inhabit. What we have had over the last week has been a taster. Another sign that the anticipated change is happening. It is not a glimpse of the end point of that process. If we could say it will stop when we get to us having a nice warm climate where we can grow grapes like the Romans did, we could adjust to that. But nobody is saying it will stop with that. And even this little taster is putting in doubt this year's wheat harvest in the UK. Water supplies for crops in the East of England are getting low. Farmers are looking at the lack of rainfall and worrying.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 4:49am And even this little taster is putting in doubt this year's wheat harvest in the UK. Water supplies for crops in the East of England are getting low. Farmers are looking at the lack of rainfall and worrying.
Not this year's harvest (which is underway at least as far north as Durham) it's not. And apparently yields will be better than 2018 when farmers struggled to plant because of the wet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.farmin ... 60716.html
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ben@Forest wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 5:44am
pwa wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 4:49am And even this little taster is putting in doubt this year's wheat harvest in the UK. Water supplies for crops in the East of England are getting low. Farmers are looking at the lack of rainfall and worrying.
Not this year's harvest (which is underway at least as far north as Durham) it's not. And apparently yields will be better than 2018 when farmers struggled to plant because of the wet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.farmin ... 60716.html
I don't know about in your area, but right now there are farmers wanting rain to help the wheat grains fill out, and it hasn't been raining much for months. Locally, wheat is ripening but the grains are not as they ought to be on a good year. And it is drought that is the problem. The soil here has huge shrinkage cracks in it. On our lawns and in the wheat fields.

That article is a few weeks old and doesn't really talk about weather or the way the crop is developing. It is saying there is more acreage of wheat than last year, which is certainly true here. The harvest here is not yet underway, but can't be far off.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cold here this morning had to don the coat into work today.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Was in hospital yesterday for an examination under anaesthetic. The A/C had the place so damned cold that walking through the streets in 32°C afterwards was sheer pleasure.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sitting here wearing a light fleece top as it’s much cooler. I feel so much better too. I hadn’t realised how lethargic I had become, presumably just my body dropping back a few notches just to cope with the heat.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Petrichor is a fine word.
Another I came across is calenture.
It refers to the illusion that the sea's surface is in fact green fields. A madness once thought to afflict sailors in the tropics.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/calenture
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cold now needed a coat on top of my jumper.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This was yesterday at 11am ................................... in 22degC heat. :lol:

IMG_1408.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall