How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Audax67

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Audax67 »

Windy. Nothing roof-threatening but average 24 kph gusting to 40 every day, horrible to ride against.

We get frequent NE winds here, in fact on a day when the wind is westerly elsewhere it's perfectly common to find that in our area it's from the NE. Wonderful for riding SW, in fact 10 years ago a chum and I did Strasbourg-Perpignan with the wind behind us all the way through Alsace and the Doubs, until we got into the Rhône Valley and the Mistral took over. It was wonderful, but crawling home against it at the end of a 100k patisserie pilgrimage is bloody 'orrible.

The Rhône Valley has its Mistral. I'm thinking of petitioning for our NE wind to be officially dubbed the Mistkerl.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

irc wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 9:53pm Lovely. 25 or 26C in the middle of the day. Cloudless skies. Still lovely and warm walking the dogs 10 minutes ago. Perfect weather.

Same here the last couple of days and my days off too -- it's like living in the south of England -- not often there's no wind up here.
I am here. Where are you?
mig

Post by mig »

Pebble wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:55am
Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 8:24am
Cowsham wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 7:59am We could build a pipeline from Ulster to Kent and sell you some water.
More transfer of water from existing sources within England and Wales could have a big effect.

https://www.internetgeography.net/topic ... in-the-uk/

Jonathan
I had not known the Kielder London pipline was being thought about. Big engineering project but doable as gravity fed (which is a must considering the weight of water)
Scottish engerneers managed a near perfect uniform drop 10" per mile between Loch Katherine and Glasgow 150 years ago. Kielder to London works out at about 25" per mile.
whilst many reservoirs are nigh empty why aren't they dug out to remove sediment and increase capacity back to the original?

water authorities too busy paying off shareholders? or a practical reason?
pwa

Post by pwa »

I was working mostly outdoors yesterday and the 34c down here in S Wales was more than a bit uncomfortable. I downed at least 3 litres of water during my shift, so didn't end up with a headache. I'll be relieved when Monday comes and we get temperatures that are a bit easier to live with, and a good bit of rain would be welcome. We have lived in this house for about 24 years and I have never seen the back lawn with such wide fissures.

I have been reading about the low water level at Jumbles Reservoir, near Bolton, where I grew up, but there is no prospect of a hosepipe ban in that region because water is also piped in from Cumbria, where rainfall has been normal (i.e. a lot).
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Our weather is wall-to-wall sunny, reaching the low 30s every day. The forecast regularly threatens rain & thunder every week but it always takes a wrong turning somewhere and gets lost before reaching us. Our préfecture has just banned access to forests because of the fire hazard. Fields of maize are dried out with the cobs half-formed. Trees are turning as if autumn were here: the other day I rode through a carpet of fallen leaves on a local cycle path and they crackled like cornflakes. The countryside is blanched. The Rhine is down so far that river transport is getting iffy.

Meanwhile, golf courses are still green, people are still topping up their swimming-pools and the bloke next door still spends an hour in his outdoor jacuzzi every evening. Climate change? Nah, it's just weather.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 10:43am
......I have been reading about the low water level at Jumbles Reservoir, near Bolton, where I grew up, but there is no prospect of a hosepipe ban in that region because water is also piped in from Cumbria, where rainfall has been normal (i.e. a lot).
Not just Jumbles,the Rivington collective are very low too ,the Rivington one,lower most,I don't think I've ever seen so low! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Quite busy next week, but I have an idea for cycling round Burrator Reservoir to see how low it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrator_Reservoir

This from 2018. :shock: :shock:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-44771632

Car going in for a brakes service on Monday, so I could take the bike in the back, then ride out there and back.
Trouble is, the weather forecast isn't good for Monday! :shock:
Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 15.23.01.png
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

It’s evening time in deepest Kernowland and we are enjoying a reduction in temperature to a positively balmy 26.5 degrees.
This evening we are on a campsite experimenting with kit with a view to try a bit of bike packing.
Anyhow, it’s still dry here but t’internet says a chance of rain tomorrow. Bring it on - I have my bar of soap at the ready.
3B1ED4DF-BC57-43A3-86E3-90ED151FD4FA.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

I think the 2 days in the upper 30s last month have primed me to accept this heat as something to be enjoyed.

Here are some maps for Britain at lunchtime today, clicking on them will make the key more visible.

Temperature
Temperature 2022-08-13, 13.00.jpeg
Solar radiation
Solar, 2022-08-13 13.00 .jpeg
Humidity
Humidity, 2022-08-13 13.00.jpeg
Nitrogen Oxides
NO2, 2022-08-13, 13.00.jpeg

These are clearly measurements at or near ground level, the pollution is clearly mostly from shipping and if NOx were shown at aircraft elevations, I'm sure we'd see a very clear map of the most common flightpaths.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I live equidistant between Manchester and Liverpool.Yesterday morning sat out in the garden I counted at least 20 airliners some at high level some much lower and half a dozen small aircraft flying over,that was in a 2 hour period.
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 9:04am I live equidistant between Manchester and Liverpool.Yesterday morning sat out in the garden I counted at least 20 airliners some at high level some much lower and half a dozen small aircraft flying over,that was in a 2 hour period.
considering how out of of control air travel is (with its untaxed duty-less fuel) was that more or less than normal

real time snapshot from
https://www.flightradar24.com/49.62,6.68/5
https://www.flightradar24.com/49.62,6.68/5
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It was above average I'd say,but we're in the main holiday period and it was Saturday.
W H Auden
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

reohn2 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 9:41am It was above average I'd say,but we're in the main holiday period and it was Saturday.
Pretty similar on a Sunday. Unregulated emissions with two or three times the effect of the same emissions at ground level.

aircraft emissions.jpeg

"The contrails left by aeroplanes last only hours. But they are now so widespread that their warming effect is greater than that of all the carbon dioxide emitted by aeroplanes that has accumulated in the atmosphere since the first flight of the Wright brothers.

Worse still, this non-CO2 warming effect is set to triple by 2050, according to a study by Ulrike Burkhardt and Lisa Bock at the Institute of Atmospheric Physics in Germany."

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... e-thought/

flights Sunday.jpeg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Incredible!
Though I find hard to believe.

Today's count for aeroplanes for the same period was six,maybe the baggage handlers are working to rule :lol:
Last edited by reohn2 on 14 Aug 2022, 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Lashin Doon
I am here. Where are you?