How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rotavator

Re: How's your weather?

Post by rotavator »

Hot and sunny again but I can hear thunder and a big cloud has appeared to the south so may be I will get some rain today, the lawn certainly needs it.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

"Worst drought of the last 500 years" say the papers.

Meanwhile, the person of low moral stature across the road pressure-washed two cars yesterday.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 12:43pm Incredible!
Though I find hard to believe.

Today's count for aeroplanes for the same period was six,maybe the baggage handlers are working to rule :lol:
Could be just a wind direction ? We don't see that many here, however at times there is loads, all/most/many of europes canadian and west coast usa flights will pass over head, apparently this all to do with wind / jet-stream

Anyway, back on topic - what few planes there has been today are leaving their contrails for half an hour or more, I believe this phenomenon has stuff to do with moisture in the high atmosphere and signifies a change to more unsettled weather, and that is also what the forecasters are telling us. When contrails dissappear very quickly it is a sign the weather will stay settled?
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

reohn2 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 12:43pm Incredible!
Though I find hard to believe.

Today's count for aeroplanes for the same period was six,maybe the baggage handlers are working to rule :lol:

Likewise. But it's the same, 360+ days a year, a shocking amount of pollution and global warming.

And very interesting that the research states there's significantly more warming effect from the vapour trails than the CO2, we're all so blinded with the the mainstream talking about nothing more than carbon emissions when reality is water vapour has much more of an effect than most realise.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Thunder, lightning, dark skies and rain like stair rods!

Time to pull all the mains and main internet connection.

Wait I have no wired internet connection it's a dish. :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

"I am here. Where are you?" to quote your signature.

Hot and bone dry here, washing on the line, 30degC in zero wind with hazy sunshine here in SE Cornwall.
5:45 pm.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 3:18pm Could be just a wind direction ? We don't see that many here......
Don't think it's wind direction the wind,what little there is of it,more like a very light breeze of 5mph max has been coming from the same direction all week.
We're directly under the flight path for Manchester and Liverpool airports,not to mention the number of light aircraft and military helicopters,Apache gunships and Chinooks,heading up or down country.

Last evening tpwe had the police helicopter circling about 10.30pm,I found out they were chasing some nutter who thought it a good idea to run around naked! One polics helicopter and seven police cars by all accounts,if running around naked was all he was doing,so what?
A waste of resources IMHO

PS; apologies for the continued tgread drift.

PPS; it's been 32C here today and has been thereabouts all week,set to subside tomorrow and a promise of well needed rain!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 5:45pm "I am here. Where are you?" to quote your signature.

NI so rain is never far away

Hot and bone dry here, washing on the line, 30degC in zero wind with hazy sunshine here in SE Cornwall.
5:45 pm.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You're welcome to the rain!
Just pump it via hoses from NI to people who need it. :D

Washing in and dry and put away now. Blue evening skies here, but depending on which weather forecast you access, you get different opinions regarding tomorrow and onwards.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BBC vs Met Office.
BBC warn of "extreme heat" and Met Office warn of "thunderstorms".
One of them is right, or both of them are wrong! :lol: :lol:
Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 20.50.32.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 20.49.54.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

10-minute downpour at bladder o'clock.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

A 40 mile ride yesterday and not a glimpse of the sun, lovely!
The night before we had a thunderstorm, this was the first rain in weeks and may just save some of the trees that are in danger of dying.
Farmers are giving up on the maize fields, it's made into silage for the cattle. It's already too dry to be of any use and a farming friend says it's the worst year he can remember. He has water storage on his land but it's all been used up.
I'm sure on top of everything food will cost even more.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Mick F wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:51pm BBC vs Met Office.
Last year for our Lake District part of summer holidays - late August - there was day after day of blue skies once morning mist and cloud had burned away. Not only did the BBC forecast drizzle and low cloud ahead of our stay, but it continued to mention 'grey, cool conditions with low cloud with some light drizzle' throughout our holiday on its radio forecasts, no mention whatsoever of the hot sunshine, day after day after day. At the time, the Pennines and East of was cool and grey with 8/8 cloud.

I did wonder whether this BBC reporting as a form of control of people's movements (they were still in panic mode over Covid-19 last year and sounded alarmed the government had opened things up at all) or just their usual ineptitude to provide anything vaguely accurate for that part of the world.

Several local business owners asked how we hadn't been put off by the weather forecast, they seem resigned to the fact the BBC does its best to deter tourists whenever there's any ambiguity over the weather. It left me wondering what other facts might be left out of their reporting.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:31pm
Mick F wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:51pm BBC vs Met Office.
Last year for our Lake District part of summer holidays - late August - there was day after day of blue skies once morning mist and cloud had burned away. Not only did the BBC forecast drizzle and low cloud ahead of our stay, but it continued to mention 'grey, cool conditions with low cloud with some light drizzle' throughout our holiday on its radio forecasts, no mention whatsoever of the hot sunshine, day after day after day. At the time, the Pennines and East of was cool and grey with 8/8 cloud.

I did wonder whether this was typical modern-day BBC reporting as a form of control of people's movements (they were still in panic mode over Covid-19 last year and sounded alarmed the government had opened things up at all) or just their usual ineptitude to provide anything vaguely accurate for that part of the world.

Several local business owners asked how we hadn't been put off by the weather forecast, they seem resigned to the fact the BBC does its best to deter tourists whenever there's any ambiguity over the weather. It left me wondering what other facts might be left out of their reporting.
That's quite some mashup of paranoia and conspiracy theories!
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

BBC weather forecasts are now provided by Meteo Group BTW.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeteoGroup

Wonder how they were brought in on the conspiracy to control us?

Something to do with Bill Gates and 5G perhaps?